Portable AC Dilemma

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sir the fridge evaporating and condensing temperatures are not designed for comfort cooling.
You need a refresher course in air conditioning. Basics! Sorry if I sound rude.
Begin with leaving a fridge door 'crack' open and monitor the temperature inside the chamber.

Desert Hunter

Super User
Not discussing pros and cons of your idea if the idea is firmly grouted in your head

You may not find Split A/C of 0.75 Tons capacity but Window A/C definitely.

You may remove and install remotely it's Compressor and Condensing Coil retaining its Cooling Coil and Blower at required space. It would be smaller than any Indoor Unit of any Split A/C.
However, how do you intend to remove the condensate drain water ?

skysat2005

Super User
You need a refresher course in air conditioning. Basics! Sorry if I sound rude.
Sir, my comment was on different refrigerants being used in fridge and AC to compare, with the basic cycle remaining same.
As in regard to leaving the fridge door open, we are just recycling the heat with further addition of heat from compressor.

Not going OT further,
I think ACs smaller than 1 TR are not available in Split and Inverter.

skysat2005

Super User
You may remove and install remotely it's Compressor and Condensing Coil retaining its Cooling Coil and Blower at required space. It would be smaller than any Indoor Unit of any Split A/C.
However, how do you intend to remove the condensate drain water ?
Sir, you are eventually designing a new system all-together.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may not find Split A/C of 0.75 Tons capacity but Window A/C definitely.
You may remove and install remotely it's Compressor and Condensing Coil retaining its Cooling Coil and Blower at required space. ...
Probably not possible, since window units use a single motor for the condenser and the evaporator fans.

Desert Hunter

Super User
Probably not possible, since window units use a single motor for the condenser and the evaporator fans.
That is the only catch
But seriously, do you think that is a big problem when people can mount an engine on trolley to make a "Jugaad" transport vehicle would not be able to have a separate Blower motor ?
However consider removing condensate drain from the middle of Bedroom as a challenge .... filling a bucket of pure water under the bed by morning being just one way out.

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Considering the issues with availability and after sales of smaller ACs, I've decided to create floor to ceiling curtain around the bed that bisects the room into 40/60 and then use a 0.75 or 1 Ton AC to cool the smaller area.

Thanks for the wonderful inputs to all. It was really helpful and got some knowledge about working of ACs.

Desert Hunter

Super User
Considering no electrical losses, if you divide the room in 40:60 and reduce the temperature in comfort zone from 35C to 25C, you would be raising the temperature of external zone by approx 6C i.e. 41C.
So when you wake up, you would be facing a temp variation from 25 to 41 - most uncomfortable part.
The Curtains have to be of thermal insulation type