Portable AC Dilemma

skysat2005

Super User
Why to create so complex scene when you can comfortably set 26-27 Deg C AC temperature and put the ceiling fan on?
Creating a partition/using enclosed space around bed makes you feel as if living in a bunker setup:p

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
The purpose of this whole exercise has now become clear to me - a wealthy man is trying to keep his electricity bill down!
My advice - please don't. Just follow normal practice; that usually yields the most satisfactory and durable solution.

Prasham

Armchair Traveller :(
Considering no electrical losses, if you divide the room in 40:60 and reduce the temperature in comfort zone from 35C to 25C, you would be raising the temperature of external zone by approx 6C i.e. 41C.
So when you wake up, you would be facing a temp variation from 25 to 41 - most uncomfortable part.
The Curtains have to be of thermal insulation type

1) Didn't understand how will I raise the "External" temperature by 6 Degrees. Usually at 7 am, temperature outside is around 28 Degrees while the AC temperature would be around 24 Degrees or so. So there may not be a big shock.

2) Can you please share some details on the thermal insulating curtains?

Prasham

Why to create so complex scene when you can comfortably set 26-27 Deg C AC temperature and put the ceiling fan on?
Creating a partition/using enclosed space around bed makes you feel as if living in a bunker setup:p
If i create the enclosure, I can use smaller capacity AC and thereby save money on AC as well as recurring energy charges.

Prasham

The purpose of this whole exercise has now become clear to me - a wealthy man is trying to keep his electricity bill down!
My advice - please don't. Just follow normal practice; that usually yields the most satisfactory and durable solution.
Modiji is on a mission to destroy wealth of the moderately wealthy, especially the self employed. Hence it feels that the age old wisdom that a Penny saved is a penny earned, is quite apt.

Desert Hunter

Super User
1) Didn't understand how will I raise the "External" temperature by 6 Degrees. Usually at 7 am, temperature outside is around 28 Degrees while the AC temperature would be around 24 Degrees or so. So there may not be a big shock.

2) Can you please share some details on the thermal insulating curtains?
When you install an A/C in a room, it transfers internal heat to ambient (open atmosphere). In this case you will be transferring heat from a dedicated zone to the room because that is where your Condensing Coil is that rejects heat. How do you expect to prevent transfer of heat back to your comfort zone from the rest of the room ? Just a drapery curtain ?
If the heat rejection had been to ambient .... e.g. by placing bed next to a wall with window for installing the A/C, I would have given a Thumbs Up.
If you are really keen to try this idea, shift your bed and it's beautiful decor next to a wall where you can install an A/C as is normally done. Not as an island type as shown in Pic.

Desert Hunter

Super User
If you look at the Pic again and zoom on it, you will notice that it is not a single layer of fabric but quilted type. This shows that a foam (insulation fill) lining has been sandwiched between external and internal fabric. Intrinsic stitching has been done to hold the fill in position just like most of the Polyester Jackets with foam lining. This is what I mean by Thermal Curtains.

Prasham

When you install an A/C in a room, it transfers internal heat to ambient (open atmosphere). In this case you will be transferring heat from a dedicated zone to the room because that is where your Condensing Coil is that rejects heat. How do you expect to prevent transfer of heat back to your comfort zone from the rest of the room ? Just a drapery curtain ?
If the heat rejection had been to ambient .... e.g. by placing bed next to a wall with window for installing the A/C, I would have given a Thumbs Up.
If you are really keen to try this idea, shift your bed and it's beautiful decor next to a wall where you can install an A/C as is normally done. Not as an island type as shown in Pic.

1) Yup as of now I am thinking of using a standard curtain.

2) In the original idea, the supplier has asked to keep the windows open to let the heat from AC exit the room. I believe at max I should put an exhaust fan (small industrial grade), if the exterior temperature goes high enough. BTW the room I will install it in has 4 large windows and I feel ventilation will not be an issue.

Rohit Kothari

Super User
A standard curtain is not an insulator at all.You need to have a quilt/foam sheet type arrangement to have some kind of insulation (Hence the use of quilts and blankets in winters to keep the warmth in. Same arrangement would work to keep the cool air in). To give an idea, you might have seen in many shops that they use plastic curtains to keep the cold air in and use ac.
The ROI on this setup does not seem to be large enough to put so much effort and even money. Just go for a standard inverter ac combined with better insulation of room and you would get similar savings and peace of mind. A penny saved is a penny earned , agreed. But the amount of effort gone to save that penny should also be factored in.