Preparing your car for Ladakh

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mathr saab, I guess he might be expecting extensive use of 4WD there, so why not a ready guide from your side on all aspects ;)
Hehe, RK, let's not forget that 95% of the vehicles going there are 2WD!
When it comes to clearly visible slush/mud/sandy conditions it is easy to figure out that 4WD needs to be engaged. I have always engaged it on the fly before entering such patches.
And I always use 4WD for water crossings, to crawl through them, thereby ensuring that nothing on the underside takes a bad hit.

I mentioned the dis-engage bit just to alert people that 'forgetting' to do so on twisties, on hard tarmac, can cause extensive damage to the transmission.

RahulSuneja

Hi Friends.
I have just joined BCMTouring.

Planning a trip to Ladakh on 12th of june 2010 in my new dzire lxi(done 500kms only,will get 1st sevice done before leaving) with total of 4 persons.Please suggest me if i should take my new car or i should go by hiring a taxi(or should i take less members).Just wanted to get the idea that if i take my dzire, then how much bad conditions it can face(including suspension and overall condition of car).i am concerned as the car is still brand new:

Please Suggest friends

RAJNEESHplp

HI Mr Yogesh Sarkar / Mr. Anup,

you seem to be inveterate travellers (with all due respect to so many others), and hence this query directed at you.
I am in Manali, in my old Santro (6 years old-75000 km driven), and waiting here for last 2-3 days for taking the plunge on Leh Road.
I am being exhorted in other forums and being encouraged positively to go ahead and I will be all fine.. but I am not sure what is stopping me.
I am acompanied with my wife and a son (5 years old) and they at first opportunity start getting paranoid at the crisis, and though I have travelled enough and really want to go on this route, (and I am losing my leaves every day - these are really hard earned).

I read in this thread earlier that June early is not a right time to go in a car like Santro...but a taxi here in prohibitively costly, neither they give u the flexibility of your own vehicle.

Please advise- I really want to do it and I have leaves only till 19th of June.

Will GC be a real problem. and will we have roads like the one shown in this thread earlier where instead of road i was seeing a large stream of water on road.. can a santro do it?

See, you might smile at it, as you must have done it.. but for me since this is first time, there is some gripping apprehension.

waiting for your reply. I will start tomorrow early morning.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Frankly speaking, if you aren't confident about your vehicle, then it is better to avoid it. Because at the end of the day, this route will test your patience, skills and mental toughness, especially since it is quite early in the season and there is plenty of snow at Rohtang Jot and even more so at Baralacha La.

Had you been in Delhi or had more days, I would have advised you to take the Srinagar route and maybe come back by Manali route, if it had stabilized by then.

But especially considering that you have your kid with you and route is just open for LMV, I wouldn't advise attempting the Manali - Leh route at the moment.

Well, Rajneesh it seems you are already reluctant and since something is stopping you from inside then better not do it... Personally I take the inner calls seriously enough now and my travel tales have smooth-en after that, especially after the Ladakh trip...

As Yogesh said, its all about mental toughness and confidence... Manali - Leh Highway is not an easy ball game to drive leave apart the early season... It will test your driving skills to the MAXIM... Tough is the key word here and guess the low confidence will cause enough jitters to elevate its level...

I saw your posts in other forums and there you were having apprehensions on AMS as well.. but that is something different and can be taken care than having low confidence while driving to Leh via Manali...

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am in Manali, in my old Santro (6 years old-75000 km driven), and waiting here for last 2-3 days for taking the plunge on Leh Road.
Your main query has been answered well.
The next question is: How should you make the most of the remaining ten days or so of your leave?!

Here is a pleasant plan for you to consider: :)
Manali to Chindi (Hotel Mamleshwar), via Ner Chowk, Chail Chowk, Rohanda.
Chindi to Bakrote to Rampur - Jeori - Sangla/Chitkul.
Chitkul
Chitkul - Recong Peo - Kalpa
Kalpa
Kalpa - Sarahan
Sarahan
Sarahan - Shimla/Solan
Shimla/Solan - Delhi.

RAJNEESHplp

thank you both for ur guidance. Though i have not called it off "officially"..:) i will let u know how do i take care of next 10 days..

knmankad

Your main query has been answered well.
The next question is: How should you make the most of the remaining ten days or so of your leave?!

Here is a pleasant plan for you to consider: :)
Manali to Chindi (Hotel Mamleshwar), via Ner Chowk, Chail Chowk, Rohanda.
Chindi to Bakrote to Rampur - Jeori - Sangla/Chitkul.
Chitkul
Chitkul - Recong Peo - Kalpa
Kalpa
Kalpa - Sarahan
Sarahan
Sarahan - Shimla/Solan
Shimla/Solan - Delhi.
Mathur sirji has given an excellent plan. I was there on this route: From Kalka to Chitkul via Shimla, Sarahan, Kalpa, Raksham etc in a Tavera (not self driven). Superb views. Road condition reminded me of my Manali-Leh trip but on this route, maximum altitude is less than minimum of Manali Leh. And self driving has its own pleasure.

kashyap mankad