Preparing your car for Ladakh

knmankad

Hi,
Shri Yogesh Sarkar is the right person for the tips as I traveled from Ahmedabad-Manali-Leh-Srinagar-Ahmedabad in Swift D'zire in 2009 based on his excellent tips only. Again roamed in Ladakh in a hired tavera in 2011 January (-29C) for some 1300+ kilometers.
In my view, i20 should be ok and September 15 may be touch & go. May start at least about a week early if possible. Restrict to 3 -4 passengers only per car. MAnali- Leh is an amazing journey and do not trade it with any other rout. Take halts at Killiong and Sarchu. You may go through earlier posts on the subject. All the best.

Hi I am planning visit Ladakh in Sep-14 and plan to take my i-20 petrol. Needed advise on the following:
1. Is i-20 petrol good enough for Mumbai-ladakh-mumbai.
2. Is Sep-14 a good time to travel considering weather and car.
3. Should i avoid manali leh route and instead enter ladakh from Srinagar and exit from Manali.
The i20 should do fine.
A sump guard should make you feel safe.
You should enter through zozilla and exit through manali.
Yogesh Sarkar and other gurus on this forum guided me safely through my trip to ladakh in May 2013.
Please go through all their tips and suggestions.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Hi I am planning visit Ladakh in Sep-14 and plan to take my i-20 petrol. Needed advise on the following:
1. Is i-20 petrol good enough for Mumbai-ladakh-mumbai.
2. Is Sep-14 a good time to travel considering weather and car.
3. Should i avoid manali leh route and instead enter ladakh from Srinagar and exit from Manali.
1. Yes, though you will need to drive carefully due to low ground clearance, especially while crossing nallahs.

2. Beginning, middle or end?

3. Going via Srinagar would not only allow you to acclimatize gradually to high altitude, it will also be easier for the car to tackle. So my suggestion would be to go via Srinagar and then if you feel comfortable, then come back via Manali route, which is tougher and at higher altitude.

fahadkareem

HI Rajiv,

I heard some where you can not take vehicle to laddakh which is not registered on your name. I planning to go there by swift ldi which is registered on my father's name. Is it possible to go there?

badi8888

Sir,
I am planning to visit Srinagar-Kargil-Dras in my 2005 Wagon-R.

Which will be best season to visit?
Any special documentation reqd to visit Srinagar-Dras in own vehicle.?
How to prepare car for visit?

narender

DRIFTER
Sir,
I am planning to visit Srinagar-Kargil-Dras in my 2005 Wagon-R.

Which will be best season to visit?
Any special documentation reqd to visit Srinagar-Dras in own vehicle.?
How to prepare car for visit?
Will you go till Kargil or cover other popular place of Ladakh?Please clarify.
You need regular complete papers of your vehicle i.e.RC,PUC,DL,Insurance etc.No special document required.
Get your car thoroughly serviced,new tyre if possible,foot pump,puncture repair kit in case of car has tubeless tyres.Ladakh has a very dusty enviorment,so carry a spare air filter and change it after a week.Car should have healthy clutch plates for steep uphill ascent.Also carry some extra engine oil to top up after few days.

imindian

Pradeep Saini
Need fast answer, Is luggage carrier allowed on personal car roof. Some mechanics in Naharpur Delhi are telling its not allowed and can lead to challan of Rs. 5000. is it true ???

imindian

Pradeep Saini
One more thing , we are going in Swift Ldi which is registered on name of a friend who is not coming with us. Can we drive this car to leh?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I am not sure about luggage carrier, but yes you can drive your friend's car. Just make sure you're carrying all necessary documents and maybe even a signed letter from your friend, stating he had let you use his car for trip.