Preparing your car for Ladakh

shashankaggarwal

The Roadster
Carb cars really suffer at heights above 15000 ft. Its a pain to move them even at even on flat roads at those heights.

and about enriching the fuel mix, well that is wrong thing to do, because the mix is already too rich due to lack of oxygen, so enriching it further is not going to help.

rahul4096

Leh'd
I am planning to do Delhi-Leh-Srinagar route in last week of June by Wagon-R. Please tell me if it is suitable for Pangong-Tso route or I have to hire some transport from Leh.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
As per my knowledge, the main trouble point on the route (Pagal Nallah) now has a bridge. So as long as it is functional and there isn't too much snow at Chang La, your car shouldn't face any problem.

kewlkaran

Dear sarkar, anupji and all active members of bcmt

although it is the same repititive question and also i have almost gone through everything posted on this thread regarding pros and cons of driving a sedan to leh and other preparations needed, could you please guide me if i can drive to leh via manali - rohtang - sarchu on my honda city??

i have read that people have managed to drive even in m800 or spark. so yes it is possible, but could you please sum up all the details i need to take care of?
especially, do i really have to put metal shield for the underbelly of the car??

Also, if anyone knows, which is the last petrol pump on this route. i guess it is in Tandi, right?

your help will be highly appreciated

thanks

karan

knmankad

I am planning to do Delhi-Leh-Srinagar route in last week of June by Wagon-R. Please tell me if it is suitable for Pangong-Tso route or I have to hire some transport from Leh.

Last August when we went, the road surface was unbelievably good till beyond Chang-La. Afterwords, there were some patches which were really bad despite the bridge. The trick is to start early (4AM) and return by 11am before the snow melts if not planning to stay over night. It will be safe to ask the hotelier or some locals for the road quality in Leh, but not the travel agents. They will simply exaggerate the difficulties.

FTLT

Although, It may sound very odd to most of you but I would still go ahead with my question...

What things should one keep in mind when driving there in a 4X4 scorpio...please don't laugh at me!!!

Planning to travel mid-June to Leh. I am sure Anup sir will have some inputs!!!

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
What things should one keep in mind when driving there in a 4X4 scorpio...please don't laugh at me!!!...
:eek: Can't figure out what you are looking for but I'd say the most important is to remember when to engage and when to disengage the 4WD! ;)

rkbharat

Guru
Although, It may sound very odd to most of you but I would still go ahead with my question...

What things should one keep in mind when driving there in a 4X4 scorpio...please don't laugh at me!!!

Planning to travel mid-June to Leh. I am sure Anup sir will have some inputs!!!
:eek: Can't figure out what you are looking for but I'd say the most important is to remember when to engage and when to disengage the 4WD! ;)
Mathr saab, I guess he might be expecting extensive use of 4WD there, so why not a ready guide from your side on all aspects ;)

knmankad

With Scorpio on your side, no questions need to be asked. Simply plunge. You may never need to use 4WD as such.