Preparing your motorcycle for Ladakh

hitesh06

Hello Yogesh,
I'm planning on doing a road trip to Ladakh coming November on my Enfield C5. I've done a few road trips before but nothing above 700kms i.e, one way. Now, I'm from Bangalore. I don't mind riding all the way from Bangalore to Ladakh as time is not a concern or I can get my bike transported to Delhi and ride from there. What do you suggest? This ride means a lot to me and I'd probably be doing it "alone". So please help me out here.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Hitesh Patel

rajput.ankush

I doubt you'll be able to do it due to closing of passes. During winter ladakh gets cut-off from rest of india by road due to heavy snowfall on both the passes zoji-la and rohtang. The only option remaining is to go by air.
Even if you, somehow, managed to enter into ladakh, i doubt you'll be able to return with your bike through road only.

Since weather in such terrains is completely unpredictable and no one can surely predict the closing and opening of passes, so to be on the safe side, if possible do it in starting october.

Last edited:

hitesh06

I doubt you'll be able to do it due to closing of passes. During winter ladakh gets cut-off from rest of india by road due to heavy snowfall on both the passes zoji-la and rohtang. The only option remaining is to go by air.
Even if you, somehow, managed to enter into ladakh, i doubt you'll be able to return with your bike through road only.

Since weather in such terrains is completely unpredictable and no one can surely predict the closing and opening of passes, so to be on the safe side, if possible do it in starting october.
Thanks for your reply Ankush. But October is little too soon .I'm really confused now. Max I can pre pone is last week of october. Anyway, if I was to postpone, what time would you suggest after November?

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Do it only if you are ok with the idea of falling and picking up your motorcycle multiple times, getting stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few days and maybe even leaving your motorcycle behind in Leh, if both the routes get closed.

rajput.ankush

Thanks for your reply Ankush. But October is little too soon .I'm really confused now. Max I can pre pone is last week of october. Anyway, if I was to postpone, what time would you suggest after November?
After november, if you want to go by road, then you'll have to wait around 5-6 months for opening of passes. You can plan your trip in early may as Zoji-la might open at that time. Rohtang always opens a little late in around june.

You can also plan for april if you are comfortable with the idea of reaching leh by air and then renting a bike there.

Last edited:

hitesh06

Thanks Yogesh. I have already given enough thought to what you said and willing to take the risks. But anyway thanks again for reminding me how serious I have to be. Also Ankush, I'll try for October. Will see how things work out. Fingers crossed.
Thanks again both of you.
Will bug you guys again if any help needed ;)

polly

never ever give up
I came across somebody who did manali leh and back on his hero glamour.As per him air filter was removed at jispa for more breathing,it is must for all 125-150 cc bikes he said.Is the case so? How damaging this can be for a Bike? Does viscous filter as in honda bikes help the Bike to inhale better or otherwise?-pls throw some light on this.-thnxs!

Roadie..

Super User
While on my leh trip one Israeli couple (rider and pillion) on a bajaj discover crossed Khardungla easily and many others on pulsars, I dont think its necessary to remove filters unless bike is totally out of power.

- - - Updated - - -

Eww people have been killed in avalanches in september.
Man on 11/09/14 I just woke up and decided to got to Leh and returned on 18th from manali.
If I had read that before Leh would have remained a dream.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
I came across somebody who did manali leh and back on his hero glamour.As per him air filter was removed at jispa for more breathing,it is must for all 125-150 cc bikes he said.Is the case so? How damaging this can be for a Bike? Does viscous filter as in honda bikes help the Bike to inhale better or otherwise?-pls throw some light on this.-thnxs!
You don't need to do that, unless the bike is struggling quite a bit. Even then it should only be done for inclines.