Printing a photograph

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
Hi Guys,

I am planning to print this "Family Portrait" of my friend. And gift him!
5-6 years ago i tried to print my photos shots from Sony p&s camera, but colors were all washed away. Never tried after that. So relatively I have no experience in printing a photograph.
Size: 8x10
Resolution: 24 MP
Any special color adjustment required or post processing better suited for printing?

per-5381.jpg

iamsomnath

Where is the remote?
If you can get the colour profile details of the lab ( and if they don't keep changing it ) then your job will be easy but in India it is very rare. One easy "jugaad" is to get a small print from the lab. You will then be able to tweak accordingly and get a satisfactory large print.

Recently I had made a lot of large printouts from zooming.com and I was pleasantly surprised that the output was very close to what I was seeing in my calibrated monitor.

cheers
Somnath

hensil

Guru
Hi Guys,

I am planning to print this "Family Portrait" of my friend. And gift him!
5-6 years ago i tried to print my photos shots from Sony p&s camera, but colors were all washed away. Never tried after that. So relatively I have no experience in printing a photograph.
Size: 8x10
Resolution: 24 MP
Any special color adjustment required or post processing better suited for printing?

View attachment 600059
I print large pictures and just last week printed 4 images of 24x32 inches.
24mpx is more than enough for 8*10 picture. As you are using LR you have to be careful of output from LR for printing.
Lr works in Prophoto color space much larger than aRGB (Adobe) and sRGB that most commercial printer use.
sRGB is the smallest color space hence you have to convert it properly. Mostly if not converted properly you'll see the picture with banding and lacking in color and contrast.
Lr has a a button at the bottom called Soft proofing. Click on this and select sRGB or the color profile of the printer if you manage to get one. There you'll see the proper print quality.
Once you achieve this make sure the printer technician does not do any correction before printing.
Save your file as JPEG with selecting 'sharpen for print' not screen. You can also save as TIFF (uncompressed file) but see that it is 8 bit mode and not 16 bit because the printer will not open a 16 bit file.
Henry

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I feel the skin tone is bit reddish. If you wish to correct that, use Lr local brush tool on the faces and reduce the color a bit.
Henry

nekhrun

This is a very good family picture. Congrats!!!

I have used services from Zoomin many times and am satisfied with the print quality. I have ordered more than 10 8x10 prints, around 50 4x6 prints, photo magnets, and photo books. 5 years back, I had once complained about the quality of the paper they used for a free photo book I ordered, and they refunded my money and the photo book was free.

Ankur003

UltraWideLife.com
If you can get the colour profile details of the lab ( and if they don't keep changing it ) then your job will be easy but in India it is very rare. One easy "jugaad" is to get a small print from the lab. You will then be able to tweak accordingly and get a satisfactory large print.

Recently I had made a lot of large printouts from zooming.com and I was pleasantly surprised that the output was very close to what I was seeing in my calibrated monitor.

cheers
Somnath
I print large pictures and just last week printed 4 images of 24x32 inches.
24mpx is more than enough for 8*10 picture. As you are using LR you have to be careful of output from LR for printing.
Lr works in Prophoto color space much larger than aRGB (Adobe) and sRGB that most commercial printer use.
sRGB is the smallest color space hence you have to convert it properly. Mostly if not converted properly you'll see the picture with banding and lacking in color and contrast.
Lr has a a button at the bottom called Soft proofing. Click on this and select sRGB or the color profile of the printer if you manage to get one. There you'll see the proper print quality.
Once you achieve this make sure the printer technician does not do any correction before printing.
Save your file as JPEG with selecting 'sharpen for print' not screen. You can also save as TIFF (uncompressed file) but see that it is 8 bit mode and not 16 bit because the printer will not open a 16 bit file.
Henry

- - - Updated - - -

PS: I feel the skin tone is bit reddish. If you wish to correct that, use Lr local brush tool on the faces and reduce the color a bit.
Henry
This is a very good family picture. Congrats!!!

I have used services from Zoomin many times and am satisfied with the print quality. I have ordered more than 10 8x10 prints, around 50 4x6 prints, photo magnets, and photo books. 5 years back, I had once complained about the quality of the paper they used for a free photo book I ordered, and they refunded my money and the photo book was free.

Thanks for the information guys.
I fixed the colors as Henry suggested.
I finally got the photo printed in A4 size matte print and i loved the print!
Harvey Norman (a electronics product store) has a printing kiosk and you can review the image before printing. So it was kind of good experience.
Costed me 5S$

After printing I realized, that small blemishes on the side way look more prominent. I could have easily removed in PP. But i didn't notice them before.

Zoomin also looks nice option but shipping to SGP will cost me double the printing price.