Problem in Endeavor crossing high passes in Leh

manu82

Hi all,

I am currently doing Delhi-manali-leh-kashmir-Delhi circuit and facing issue with my six year old Ford Endeavor. While crossing high passes like Tanglang LA, Chang LA on my trip, the engine stops giving thrust after around 4500mts. It does not move over 2500 RPM even in 1st gear. One another person driving endeavor face with same problem met with me at Chang la. So can anyone suggest is it something known in the Ford Endeavor.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
It could be the high altitude compensator (HAC) reducing fuel to an unacceptably low level. Its job is to reduce fuel because of reduced density of air at high altitudes but it should not reduce to the extent where normal operation of the car becomes frustrating.
Is the car belching black smoke at the higher rpms? If not then it probably means that the high altitude compensator is working but needs to be correctly calibrated.

manu82

It could be the high altitude compensator (HAC) reducing fuel to an unacceptably low level. Its job is to reduce fuel because of reduced density of air at high altitudes but it should not reduce to the extent where normal operation of the car becomes frustrating.
Is the car belching black smoke at the higher rpms? If not then it probably means that the high altitude compensator is working but needs to be correctly calibrated.
Yes, there is a black smoke at higher rpms. A local mechanic in Leh suggested two things- 1. Remove 2 connection wires to disable euro 2, at higher altitudes 2.Local pumps does not have very good quality diesel, basically adulterated with kerosene, so put half liter mobile oil in fuel tank along with diesel.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Got the air filter cleaned?

I know it is basic stuff, but usually the air filter gets chocked in Ladakh quite easily.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, there is a black smoke at higher rpms. A local mechanic in Leh suggested two things- 1. Remove 2 connection wires to disable euro 2, at higher altitudes ...
That means the HAC is not doing its job well enough. Try going easy on the throttle; no rapid inputs.
Disabling the euro 2 system would have a detrimental effect on the catalytic converter.
Your best bet for a wee improvement in performance would be to temporarily remove the air filter element; but do this only if the ambient air is visibly clean.
Mobil oil in fuel is not needed since we do not have ultra low sulphur diesel.

Anup Ji has hit the nail on the head. interfering with ECU connectors for cat converters can cause much more damage than relief.

manu82

Thanks for the inputs from YS, Anupji & m_j during the trip in August. The vehicle was not performing well and i did not change ECU connectors, cancel few of the travel plans including KhardungLA & WariLA during the trip, could not reply promptly due to connectivity issues, but for sure inputs got in this forum from fellow travelers are far better from roadside mechanics, who just try to make quick bucks or have less knowledge and want to do some "jugaad" on your vehicle.

Took the vehicle for servicing now in Service [email protected] Gurgaon and explain them the situation.
Main problem is they are not able to understand problem related to high passes as it is very rare someone present in these service centers travels at those heights for testing vehicles.
The most they checked was put Ford IDS (Integrated Diagnostic System) equipment to the Vehicle to check if there is any fault and they found nothing.

I want to prepare my vehicle (Ford Endeavour), so next year I will not face this problem.
Any suggestions what can be done. Anyone knows any other owner of Ford Endeavour who want to passes above 18000 feet and can share his experience.

anupmathur

Super Moderator
Staff member
Manu, there are sporadic reports about this problem in the Endeavour. I have not been able to find anything specific, but this article gives a good insight:

Trans Himalaya Expedition

Perhaps the best you can do is to maintain the air filter sparkling clean and use good quality diesel. That might mean you'll have to carry a few jerry cans with you from Delhi!
The problem with Endeavours (or some of them) seems to be with the high altitude compensation mapping in the ECU. If Ford is unable to help, you can try contacting some after market tuners who make or re-tune ECUs, like Pete's.

manu82

Manu, there are sporadic reports about this problem in the Endeavour. I have not been able to find anything specific, but this article gives a good insight:

Trans Himalaya Expedition

Perhaps the best you can do is to maintain the air filter sparkling clean and use good quality diesel. That might mean you'll have to carry a few jerry cans with you from Delhi!
The problem with Endeavours (or some of them) seems to be with the high altitude compensation mapping in the ECU. If Ford is unable to help, you can try contacting some after market tuners who make or re-tune ECUs, like Pete's.
Thanks Anupji, find few other people on below threads facing same problem -

High Altitude Driving Measures

Vaneeta Kang: Lifetime Experience/Dream Trip to Ladakh

Have send an email to Ford Customer Care, will wait what they have to say about it.
If they could not do anything Satisfactory, Next step would be to go to Autopsyche, Gurgaon (Pete's)

karang820

Thanks Anupji, find few other people on below threads facing same problem -

High Altitude Driving Measures

Vaneeta Kang: Lifetime Experience/Dream Trip to Ladakh

Have send an email to Ford Customer Care, will wait what they have to say about it.
If they could not do anything Satisfactory, Next step would be to go to Autopsyche, Gurgaon (Pete's)
Hello Manu ji,
I know it's very late but did this problem still persist? I am thinking of buying endeavour but am concerned about this. Also do you think it might exist in the 3200 cc engine Ford Endeavour as well?