Process to scrap a vehicle ?

MonkeyBoy4u

Is there a process to scrap a vehicle ? One of my friends wants to scrap his old car although its in running condition.

A few years back I had scrapped two Premier Padmini's in Chandigarh, I went to the scrap dealer and gave him the cars in return for money. Plus got an affidavit signed that I have given the cars to him for scrap.

How can one go about scrapping his car in New Delhi ? Is it possible to dispose of the vehicle in bits like sell the engine etc etc.

Any dealers in Delhi dealing with such kind of work ?

treklover

Is there a process to scrap a vehicle ? One of my friends wants to scrap his old car although its in running condition.

A few years back I had scrapped two Premier Padmini's in Chandigarh, I went to the scrap dealer and gave him the cars in return for money. Plus got an affidavit signed that I have given the cars to him for scrap.

How can one go about scrapping his car in New Delhi ? Is it possible to dispose of the vehicle in bits like sell the engine etc etc.

Any dealers in Delhi dealing with such kind of work ?
Does this fetches more money? asking for knowledge

MonkeyBoy4u

Yes, the car in question is an old ambassador (got second hand), It is a 1990 - 1994 model, dont know the exact year.

My friend checked at 1 or 2 places and people suggested to sell it as scrap as it will fetch more amount.

Another challenge in selling it off is he will have to get insurance done. Also it is not Delhi registered.

I maybe wrong but these seem to be overheads in selling it off.

Last year I got my 1986 model Maruti 800 scrapped.

We went to a shop in Tahirpur, near Dilshad Garden, where the shopkeeper cut the car in pieces in front of us. It wasn't a good sight :(, but I had to bear with it.

So that it is not misused, we took the part where Chasis number was engraved and have kept it with us.

So basically, it was sold in price of wrought iron.

MonkeyBoy4u

Last year I got my 1986 model Maruti 800 scrapped.

We went to a shop in Tahirpur, near Dilshad Garden, where the shopkeeper cut the car in pieces in front of us. It wasn't a good sight :(, but I had to bear with it.

So that it is not misused, we took the part where Chasis number was engraved and have kept it with us.

So basically, it was sold in price of wrought iron.
Talked to my friend this is exactly the kind of thing he is looking for. He is not too concerned about the money he gets but the car should not be mis-used at any cost.

Can you please share more details of the shop if you have them ? Also does the guy ask for any documentation of the car e.g. insurance etc.

I am hoping this is something like take your car (drive it down). They cut it up in pieces, you come back with the money and with the satisfaction that the car has not been mis-used.

I bet thats an awful sight to see the car being treated like that :( :(

faustus77

a few years back i cancelled my Padmini DAC 151(loved that no)
wrote a letter to rto.
enclosed original RC book plus pencil copies of body no/chassis no and engine no.
they acknowledged the letter a photocopy of which i sent to the insurance co to cancel the regn.
removed the no plates and gave the car for scrapping.(Petrol engines of padminis were in great demand)
I didnt see him cut it up but you can always oversee that part yourself
rgds

MonkeyBoy4u

Thanks faustus, I did not write to RTO when I scrapped my Padminis in Chandigarh. It was around 10 years back, so I think no need to worry about it now ;).

illusionst72 and faustus77, if you can share the shop details for scrapping that would be great. Particulary if he can let us see the Amby being cut in pieces.

faustus77

mb4u
absolutely no need to worry now
unable to help reg shop as i am in bombay and scrapped the car here.
rgds

Don't know the name of the shop, but there is a mosque in Sunder Nagri, near Nand Nagri near Dilshad Garden, around that mosque there are 20-30 shops that deal in this only.

Drive you car there, finalise the deal and see your car dismantled in front of you.

Make sure that you take the pieces where chasis number is written.