Query for Saach Pass

navneet1986

Hello People,

I am planning a trip to Saach pass on Sep 5th Weekend.

Guys, as the time is near. I have formulated the following 2 itineraries. Sharing it for your feedback. Would also need your help in choosing stay options as my wife would most probably be with me.

Itinerary 1

31st Aug'16 - Start from Gurgaon in the evening and reach Bairagarh by next day afternoon. (15 hours approx)
1st Sep'16 - Reach Bairagarh by afternoon. Night stay at Bairagarh. Pls. suggest the best place to stay.
2nd Sep'16 - Start from Bairagarh at 7AM and leave for Killar via Saach Pass (12 Hours). Night stay at Killar. Again please suggest the best place to stay.
3rd Sep'16 - Explore Killar (Pls. suggest what all do we have to explore there). Leave by 12noon and reach Keyong by evening (6 Hours Approx). Pls. suggest the best place to stay. Also do you think that I should move to Sissu instead. Which is a better place out of these 2?? I have not been to Keylong before and have heard that it is a good place and i want to spend a night there. In case I want to spend this night at Sissu, how much time would it take us from Keylong to Sissu.
4th Sep'16 - Take a walk around Keylong/Sissu and leave at around 9AM and head towards Gramphoo and then Chandrataal. How much time would it take from Keylong to Gramphoo and Sissu to Gramphoo. Night stay at Parasol Camps
5th Sep - Go to the lake and spend time till noon. By 12:30 leave from Chandrataal and reach Manali by night (8-10 hours approx). Night stay at Solang/Old Manali.
6th Sep - Manali to Gurgaon (12-14 hours approx)

Itinerary 2

31st Aug'16 - 3rd Sep - Same as above
4th Sep'16 - Take a walk around Keylong and leave at around 10. And reach KAsol by night. How much time would it take? (10 hours approx)??
5th Sep - Take a short trip to Tosh and spend the day relaxing at Kasol
6th Sep - Kasol to Gurgaon (10-12 hours approx)

Waiting for answers here.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
Navneet

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Instead of Bairagarh, stay at Bhanjraru. Bairagarh PWD Rest House has PWD engineers stationed permanently and they are usually reluctant to give out room. Bhanjraru PWD Rest House doesn’t have this issue and is beautiful and quiet.

Instead of Killar, stay at Cherry.

From Killar it will take almost a day to reach Keylong, since the route is bad and there are multiple sightseeing opportunities en route eg. Triloknath Temple. You can find places to visit here http://himachal.nic.in/index1.php?lang=1&dpt_id=215&level=2&lid=9762&sublinkid=9382.

Keylong to Chandertal would again take a complete day, you can stay at Batal if you get late or you could stay at camps before Chandertal, which are couple of kilometers before the lake.

Start by 10am from Chandertal, in order to reach Manali by evening.

This is the plan I would recommend over Tosh.

navneet1986

Thanks for the reply Yogesh

Instead of Bairagarh, stay at Bhanjraru. Bairagarh PWD Rest House has PWD engineers stationed permanently and they are usually reluctant to give out room. Bhanjraru PWD Rest House doesn’t have this issue and is beautiful and quiet.
How far is Bhanjaru from Bairagarh. Would it fall between Chamba and Bairagarh or is it ahead of Bairagarh. I hope we dont have to take detour for it. Also I have heard that Bairagarh is a good place to stay due to the scenic beauty and that was I did not want to stay at Chamba. Does it hold good for Bhanjaru too?? Has the place got good views?

Instead of Killar, stay at Cherry.
Again, how far is Cherry from Killar. And where do we stay at Cherry??

From Killar it will take almost a day to reach Keylong, since the route is bad and there are multiple sightseeing opportunities en route eg. Triloknath Temple. You can find places to visit here http://himachal.nic.in/index1.php?lang=1&dpt_id=215&level=2&lid=9762&sublinkid=9382.
Got it. Should I stay at Keylong or Sissu? The requirement remains the same. Scenic Beauty, Pls. suggest good stay options.

Keylong to Chandertal would again take a complete day, you can stay at Batal if you get late or you could stay at camps before Chandertal, which are couple of kilometers before the lake.
Can you pls. specify the time it would take us from Keylong to Sissu and then Sissu to Gramphoo. We have broken all records when we are in hills. It once took us 13 hours from Solang to reach Chandrataal when people easily reach in 10 hours. So if you tell me aproximate travel time till Gramphoo, I can calculate the drive time further,

Start by 10am from Chandertal, in order to reach Manali by evening.
Ok

This is the plan I would recommend over Tosh..
Thanks. Also on the stay options that you suggest can you think of stations out of these where we can get luxury stay options, atleast at couple of these places. Manali can be one.

Regards.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Bhanjraru comes before Bairagarh from Chamba side, and is 28-30km before that. You don’t have to go to the town, PWD guest house is located downhill from square from which the road bifurcates to Bhanjraru. It is scenic and PWD guest house is fairly nice.

Cherry is few kilometers after Killar, forgot the exact distance. There is a PWD guest house there.

Sissu is a little more scenic; however stay options are comparatively limited. In case of Keylong, you will be going a few kilometers in opposite direction. You can check out Triveni Guest House in Sissu.

It should take couple of hours to reach Gramphu.

Apart from Manali, you won’t get luxury stay option anywhere, except Keylong.

navneet1986

Bhanjraru comes before Bairagarh from Chamba side, and is 28-30km before that. You don’t have to go to the town, PWD guest house is located downhill from square from which the road bifurcates to Bhanjraru. It is scenic and PWD guest house is fairly nice.
I hope there's no need to pre-book

Cherry is few kilometers after Killar, forgot the exact distance. There is a PWD guest house there.
Ok

Sissu is a little more scenic; however stay options are comparatively limited. In case of Keylong, you will be going a few kilometers in opposite direction. You can check out Triveni Guest House in Sissu.
What do you mean by "opposite direction"?

It should take couple of hours to reach Gramphu.

Apart from Manali, you won’t get luxury stay option anywhere, except Keylong.
So you mean to say that we can get luxury stay at Keylong too. In case yes, can you pls. name a few. Also if I have understood properly, Keylong to Sissu would take an hour and then 2 more hours for Gramphoo.

Can you also list down the petrol pumps available en route. Do we need to carry extra fuel. I would be driving my Thar which has a fuel tank of 55-50Lts and we can expect an average of 8-9kmpl on this stretch.

Thanks for your help.

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Better to prebook, since rooms are available in limited quantity.

Keylong isn’t en route to Gramphu if you’re coming from Killar, so you will be taking a detour.

At Keylong you will find HPTDC Hotel and a few camping sites and hotels, HPTDC is a good bet.

Fill up after at Chamba, then the next fuel pump at Tandi.

navneet1986

Better to prebook, since rooms are available in limited quantity.

Keylong isn’t en route to Gramphu if you’re coming from Killar, so you will be taking a detour.

At Keylong you will find HPTDC Hotel and a few camping sites and hotels, HPTDC is a good bet.

Fill up after at Chamba, then the next fuel pump at Tandi.
Any contact details for the these places. Or any other way to prebook.

So filling up at Chamba is enough to make us reach Tandi. How many kms is it? I have heard that there is a petrol pump at Bairagarh too?

Another query.. As you suggested that many points like Triloknath temple fall between Killar to Keylong, do we have anything left at Keylong to explore?? If yes, in that case I would certainly stay at Keylong. But if there is nothing much at Keylong and if you feel Sissu is a better place as far is views are concerned, we would head to Sissu for night stay. However, I would halt at Keylong for a while and take a stroll to see the town as it is pending since long.

Thanks.

Last edited:

narender

DRIFTER
Any contact details for the these places. Or any other way to prebook.

So filling up at Chamba is enough to make us reach Tandi. How many kms is it? I have heard that there is a petrol pump at Bairagarh too?

Another query.. As you suggested that many points like Triloknath temple fall between Killar to Keylong, do we have anything left at Keylong to explore?? If yes, in that case I would certainly stay at Keylong. But if there is nothing much at Keylong and if you feel Sissu is a better place as far is views are concerned, we would head to Sissu for night stay. However, I would halt at Keylong for a while and take a stroll to see the town as it is pending since long.

Thanks.
I guess Chamba-Tandi distance should be around 300 kms approx.
Petrol is avaialble at Killad in black rates.Killad is approx 80 kms from Sach Pass.
Cheery is 20 kms from Killad,close by.There is very good PWD GH at Cherry but food may be a problem.Better stay at Killad.
Keylong is better option than Sissu.Sissu has fewer stay options and eating joints closes early.Keylong is recommended.

skysat2005

Super User
Petrol is also available some 15-20 kms before Bairagarh. The petrol pump was under construction last year but they were retailing fuel through drums and 5 lit flask. Don't remember the place name but it will fall on your left side while on Chamba to Bairagarh road.

If you plan to stay at Killar, You can try HPPWD rest house. Beautiful place and very nicely maintained. We stayed there last year by paying ₹500/- with ₹300/- extra for 2 pax dinner and breakfast. Just speak to caretaker there and see if rooms are available.

If you have time for Exploration, you could also plan exploring Miyar valley which is connected to Udaipur. Miyar valley is very remote and connects to Zanskar region by trek. You could refer @vardhan.harsh Sach pass log for more details.

Keylong doesn't offer anything for exploration, except a monastery. Sissu now offers much better stay options than before.
But food is a pain as mentioned by @narender Sir.

Enjoy the trip and drive safe, Cheers...

Last edited: