Railway contact list - transporting bikes by Train

Recently when I visited Guwahati railway station to ship my bike back to Trivandrum , I realized that if I had some known contact in Guwahati railway station things would have been simpler and more relaxing. And its always better to know that you can trust someone based on previous experience when compared to paying money to a total stranger.

In Guwahati railway station I met a guy who helped me & my friend in getting our bike shipped in correct train even though we were not present when the train arrived , having flown back by air.

This thread is designed so that based on our ( all BCM members) experience , we can share information and contact numbers of such people so that its relaxing for other members who has to undergo such ordeals

Requesting moderators to keep the main page updated based on inputs by other members

Documents Required
-----------------------------

Copy of your Insurance & RC book
Letter of authority if the bike is in someone else name

-------------------------------------------
Railway Parcel office contact list
-------------------------------------------

Guwahati
------------

Contact name : Ramesh
Mobile : 9706379679

Comment : Was pretty helpful, he used to call us and give us update on status of our bikes including confirmation of dispatch even before us calling him. He must have done his job well because our bikes reached Trivandrum without any major damage. Negotiate on money part properly. We paid Rs 1500/- As his service charge including packaging cost. ( we paid additional Rs 300/- for the railway babus to this guy)

Ps: requesting other members to share similar contact from all over India

Same problem here too. Trying to transport my wife's scooter from Delhi to our home in kanyakumari. Railways need a confirmed ticket to transport it. They need NOC from RTO. Now, that's another big headache.

So, i've decided to stick with good old railways. I have booked a ticket (I myself will not be travelling though). I have been asked to be at the parcel office 2 hours before the journey (They are not accepting the vehicle before that).

What are the documents i will need? Will they also ask me NOC? Another thing...I don't have a RC book. I was given a smart optical card from the RTO with certain details of the vehicle printed behind it. Will a photocopy of it will be enough?

Also, is it absolutely necessary for my wife to be there while loading the bike?

RD.

I have transported my bike three times through Indian Railways (IR), latest being 3 Nov '13 and I have not been asked for an NOC from the RTO by the railways. You can check with the local train agents if there is such a requirement.

There are two modes to transport a bike through IR:
i. Book the bike as parcel (Confirmed ticket required but is much cheaper)
ii. Book the bike as luggage (No ticket required but is expensive. No guarantee that the bike will go on the same date as they will transport it in the next train if the brake van is full. Agents come in handy if you are particular about the date & train)

Documents Required are:
i. Registration Certificate aka RC Book (The Smart Card is good enough, don't worry about it)
ii. Driving Licence
iii. Insurance (Not required but keep a copy just in case)

Hope you are aware of the other requirements like the fuel tank needs to be empty, mirrors removed and packing. I pack my bike myself coz the railway packing is nothing but a jute bag stitched onto your bike. They stitch it on anyways despite me packing my bike in 3 layers :grin: They write the destination on the jute bag / packing.

MODERATOR - Please check if this is the appropriate thread for this discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks !
RD.
&
Din

Now some contacts are emerging and it will help lot of people.
Thank you Satinder. Well continuing from my last post, Mr. Ashok Gupta at LTT will get your work done. Though I felt I ended up paying more, people say that given it is Mumbai the charges are ok, I differ as some knowledge and hard negotiation would have landed me a better deal (could have saved me 500 bucks). Anyways as I was particular about the date and train I am ok with the charges.

The official cost as per the railway receipt for my TB500 from LTT to NJP was Rs.3800/- or was it 3300/- :confused: (never had a good memory :grin:) and Mr. Gupta charged me Rs.5500/-.

While retrieving the bike at NJP I had to shell out 400 bucks as the railway official would not let me go saying how can the declared value of the bike be Rs.5000/- for a bullet. Have not worked out the economics as to what is the added insurance premium to be paid if I declare the IDV as per the bike insurance, maybe it works out the same. Better to pay the insurance than pay the railway babus. Never understood why is the bike required to be insured as per railways even if I have an insurance as per the RTO! May be it does not cover transport. Anyways, the good thing was since NJP luggage office works 24x7 I could ride off with my bike immediately after offloading it from the train.

khoj

The railway chap must have meant 'TransitInsurance'. This is different from the usual insurance that we have for our vehicles and covers the vehicles for the duration of shipment from point A to point B.

While retrieving the bike at NJP I had to shell out 400 bucks as the railway official would not let me go saying how can the declared value of the bike be Rs.5000/- for a bullet. Have not worked out the economics as to what is the added insurance premium to be paid if I declare the IDV as per the bike insurance, maybe it works out the same. Better to pay the insurance than pay the railway babus. Never understood why is the bike required to be insured as per railways even if I have an insurance as per the RTO! May be it does not cover transport. Anyways, the good thing was since NJP luggage office works 24x7 I could ride off with my bike immediately after offloading it from the train.

skysat2005

Super User
Here is how I got my friend's RE350CL at New Delhi Rly Station Parcel Office -

Check first whether the bike has arrived at destination or not, at this website Online Status, if the bike has reached destination, follow these steps -

- First go to the godown inside the parcel office and try to locate the bike. Since the bike was fully wrapped in jute bag packing, I identified it by matching Docket No/Bill T number, written by marker.
- After bike is identified, go to the main delivery counter (separate for different Rly Zones), Since my friend's bike was despatched from Baroda, I went to Western Railway counter.
- Gate Pass : Present your Bill T (Green Color receipt), the person there will ask your original ID proof (as I was the consignee). After verification, you will be required to pay detention charges (Detention charges = Once the bike has reached its destination station, 1st 6 hours are free and then Rs.10/- per hour will be charged for detention). Since this bike reached yesterday, I paid Rs.220 for detention.
- Take the gate pass to go-down person, he'll make entry and stamp the gate pass. Now the bike is free and you can take it out.
- I hired a person @Rs.50/- for taking the bike out of parcel office and unpacking.

The entire process can be completed in an hour time.

rkbalaji

Friends,any body has reliable agent/contact number in Chandigarh Station who can handle my bike booking in my absence if I can give a letter of authority to book it.

If not in Chandigarh ,atleast in DELHI HAZRAT NIZAMUDDIN STATION will help me .Looking a reliable contact.I tried to contact the person Mr.Nazir mentioned in the first page,but his number is switched off.

Any other contacts?Looking forward your replies.

BR
RKB

Last edited:
Friends,any body has reliable agent/contact number in Chandigarh Station who can handle my bike booking in my absence if I can give a letter of authority to book it.

If not in Chandigarh ,atleast in DELHI HAZRAT NIZAMUDDIN STATION will help me .Looking a reliable contact.I tried to contact the person Mr.Nazir mentioned in the first page,but his number is switched off.

Any other contacts?Looking forward your replies.

BR
RKB
Contect Mr. Satpal Singh, I dond have contact no, He is good person helped us lot

New Delhi Railway Parcel Office Agent is
BANSI (08586004043) at New Delhi Ajmeri Gate Parcel office.

Thanks Sajal Sheth ji !

Info From:
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/travelogues-north-india-f61/dream-explore-discover-ladakh-zanskar-june-2014-a-t58981-16/#post999407
sajalsheth said:
RKBalaji ji,

Thanks for the appreciation.

I have one agent's name called BANSI (08586004043) at New Delhi Ajmeri Gate Parcel office. He took Rs.250 each time and cleared my bike for unloading again for loading while coming back. If your loading point is New Delhi Railway Station then you have to carry your bike as LUGGAGE ONLY. Parcel is discouraged here. Difference is only Rs.300-500 depending on the distance.
To carry the bike as luggage or parcel depends on your urgency and time of unloading of bike. If your train reaches after office time (9 AM to 6 PM) , then luggage is only alternative. Because Railway Parcel office will give delivery in office working hours only ,in case of "Parcel".
Also note that generally two bikes/scooters are allowed inside one train. So first enquire with "MARKER MAN" that how many vehicles are there to be loaded in that particular train. If your vehicle is first or second and your unloading timing is within working hours ,then "parcel" is cheaper option. If not then " Luggage ".
But carry your id proof and RC Book photocopy and original for verification.
I took my bike as Parcel from Bhubaneswar to New Delhi. But as luggage from Delhi to Bhubaneswar.