Railway contact list - transporting bikes by Train

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
palakkad ( one train ) .. then palakkad to guwahatti ( 2 and train) .. please help me..

Hi Sanu ,
if you are booking as a parcel you can book directly from Calicut to Guwahati on the other hand if you book as luggage ticket you need to load and unload in Trivandrum which would be a headache

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
Hi guys,

I read in today's newspaper that there is a lot of swindlin.......................................................... of transporting? Maybe some private shipping companies?

Thanks in advance.
I can only answer based on my and my friends experience

Lets get one thing straight - railways is full of corrupt people top to porter level

Having said that railways expect you to collect your vehicle on same day or within 48 hours if I remember correctly and if you fail to do so there would be a nominal storage charge that you need to pay. However its reasonable and does not go into thousands unless maybe you didn't collect for a long duration. I once collected my Unicorn after 3-4 days and maybe ended up paying 200-300 rupees as storage charge ( verify the rate with railways by going directly to parcel counter )

The delivery chalan is the receipt that they give you when you book the vehicle as far as I recollect there is no other challan, when you reach the destination you show the challan at Parcel out- get it stamped - give some small chai pani ( bribe) to potter who fetches your bike - depending upon location you may have to give some chai pani to the security guy at the exit gate as well.

I have not read the pdf document you have attached but I can say that you can safely transport by railways.

Ps: its also in your interest to get your vehicle out of the railway station at the earliest for the safely of your bike ;)

Pranav_Mathur28

I can only answer based on my and my friends experience

Lets get one thing straight - railways is full of corrupt people top to porter level

Having said that railways expect you to collect your vehicle on same day or within 48 hours if I remember correctly and if you fail to do so there would be a nominal storage charge that you need to pay. However its reasonable and does not go into thousands unless maybe you didn't collect for a long duration. I once collected my Unicorn after 3-4 days and maybe ended up paying 200-300 rupees as storage charge ( verify the rate with railways by going directly to parcel counter )

The delivery chalan is the receipt that they give you when you book the vehicle as far as I recollect there is no other challan, when you reach the destination you show the challan at Parcel out- get it stamped - give some small chai pani ( bribe) to potter who fetches your bike - depending upon location you may have to give some chai pani to the security guy at the exit gate as well.

I have not read the pdf document you have attached but I can say that you can safely transport by railways.

Ps: its also in your interest to get your vehicle out of the railway station at the earliest for the safely of your bike ;)
Thanks for replying. I actually got my bike shipped through Gati as I was doubtful of getting it through train, coz, there was no direct train from my place to bangalore.
They also took 1-2 extra days to deliver, but, it was okay as I got the delivery at my door.

souvikroy1111

Thats good , hope bike was not damaged
Hello Sir,
I want to transport my bike from Pune to Guwahati. But there is no direct train.

What will be the cost if break journey it from Kolkata?

And do i need to pay two time for the parcel because i will change trains in Kolkata or only 1 time?

Dimitrz

Reclaim your life
Hello Sir,
I want to transport my bike from Pune to Guwahati. But there is no direct train.

What will be the cost if break journey it from Kolkata?

And do i need to pay two time for the parcel because i will change trains in Kolkata or only 1 time?
TO answer your question

1) You only pay once
2) Parcel service is comparatively cheaper than booking your bike as Luggage Ticket.

However parcel service takes longer to reach so get clear timeline from your railway booking agent a give a day or twos time as buffer just in case. It cheaper to pay for 2 days of pentaly for claiming the bike late than waiting in Guwahati for your bike to arrive :)
You can still work with the porters ( by paying some Chai Pani) to ensure its loaded carefully into the train and in a timely manner.

Only real draw back of parcel booking in your case break journey is that you have no control on what happens in the transit station (Kolkata) both in terms of handling of your bike and loading of your bike into the connecting train.

Therefore pack your bike well , where possible ( depending upon the make of your bike) remove breakable fittings like mirror, front cowl , indicators, head lamps and ensure to cover seat & petrol tank very well.

To Date I have had better bike transporting experience from Railways than road transport even though railways is filled with bribery and red tapism

surojit

Thank you @Dimitrz for this thread. Really helpful.
Called up Ashok from LTT and got the needed details.

Can anyone help me with some contact in Dibrugarh Railway station Parcel office??
Thanks in Advance.

Shady

Hi Everyone!

We're leaving for our Bhutan Trip on 3rd March. 4 guys & 3 Bikes. Unfortunately, officers & dalals at New Delhi Station have decided to screw it up. Only 2 bikes can be sent in one train. They've refused sending bikes as parcel. Dalals are no good as well.

Is there any way we can send a bike from NDLS through parcel? Or any good dalal who can ensure safe transaction?

We would also need help at New Jalpaiguri, so any leads there would be highly appreciated.

Hi Everyone!

We're leaving for our Bhutan Trip on 3rd March. 4 guys & 3 Bikes. Unfortunately, officers & dalals at New Delhi Station have decided to screw it up. Only 2 bikes can be sent in one train. They've refused sending bikes as parcel. Dalals are no good as well.

Is there any way we can send a bike from NDLS through parcel? Or any good dalal who can ensure safe transaction?

We would also need help at New Jalpaiguri, so any leads there would be highly appreciated.
Check No.s given here.
Do it separately by each friend can do it on there own, if ticket is separate, it can be done this way too.
Try No.s given here in earlier pages.
Delhi:
New Delhi Railway Parcel Office Agent is
BANSI (08586004043)at New Delhi Ajmeri Gate Parcel office.
Agent named Nazir Ph. No. 08459524027.
You got to go to the Ajmeri Gate terminal to find him.
He normally sits just outside the Metro Exit on the right side as you enter.

Hi Everyone!

It is a straight forward process. Book your bikes as luggage and not parcel. However, it cannot be guaranteed that all 3 bikes can be carried together. The luggage van might already partially full.

This link should give you a better idea about how to go about it: http://webguy.in/2015/08/13/how-to-transport-motorcycle-in-train/