Ranthambhore : Water Hole Animal Census, tigers, forts and more....

DKay

Super User
19/06/2016 - Morning Safari, Zone 3

This was the last safari for us before we headed back to our respective homes. Hopes were very high as this most probably would have been the last safari before the parks shut for monsoon.

The day didnt start very well as the safari gypsy, thats suppose to arrive at 0600hrs came and picked us up only about 0700hrs. There was some confusion at the booking office. I usually am pretty calm about such things but my friends were getting impatient and angry. Anyways nothing could have been done.

By the time we entered the park at the Jogi Mahal gate, we realized that tiger sighting was already happening. Thats the good part of entering late, other vehicles find the tiger and you just reach there and click it. But the bad part is that you are last in line and you hardly get a view.

The same thing happened with us, we could hardly see the tiger. Infact it was so bad that I didnt even try to lift my camera and try taking photos. Soon the news floated in that this was Pacman. Now for the last few safari's, I have been regularly sighting this tiger in the same area, so I more or less know his moves and was pretty certain what route would he take. So I told the driver to get out of the vehicle mess and place our gypsy at a point where I presumed we could get Pacman coming head on towards us.

But unfortunately, the tiger decided to sit down in bushes. Suddenly, we saw a few gypsy's zooming past us. In Ranthambhore such driving means that another tiger has been spotted somewhere else. My fellow passengers requested the driver to follow the other gypsy's but I decided to put my foot down and told them to wait for pacman to come out, as I was pretty certain he would. He didnt disappoint me, luckily, and within 10 minutes he was headed straight towards us

DSC04853.JPG

With the tiger sighting happening in another area the vehicles here had reduced to half and that meant that we could move slowly ahead with Pacman following us
DSC04907.JPG
DSC04956.JPG

A fish eye perspective of the Ranthambhore Fort, The Padam Talab and The tiger
IMG_20160619_074243657-1.jpg

Now that we had enough of him following us we decided that we will go and see if we would be lucky enough to spot the other tiger. So we let him go
DSC04975.JPG

The other tiger was not very far from where we were. But it was laying and resting in water at a place called Taapman. The tiger was identified as Arrowhead, she is the sister of Pacman
DSC04983.JPG

Arrowhead was resting peacefully and I usually lose my patience very fast with resting tigers. I mean, yes you can watch and admire their beauty but still I find moving tigers more beautifull. So we all decided to go and move around in the zone and see if we find anything exciting. The following are the birds that we clicked

Spotted owlet peeping
DSC05060.JPG

Minivet
DSC05064.JPG

Magpie Robin
DSC05076.JPG

As it was time to get out we decided to head back and on our way check on Arrowhead again. She was still laying peacefully in water
DSC05152.JPG

In the meanwhile I saw a purple sunbird
DSC05101.JPG

We had only about 10 mnts left so we decided to try and move to a better postion so that we can miss the tree, as seen in the earlier pics. This turned out to be a bad decision later. Some other vehicles that were returning back, came and parked behind us.
DSC05214.JPG

Suddenly, Arrowhead decided that she has had enough of resting and came out of water and headed staright towards us. We wanted to reverse and be out of her way, but we couldnt
DSC05308.JPG

Soon she was no more than 5 feet away from our vehicle
DSC05337.JPG

Usually tigers at RTR, will themselves move away if they find a vehicle in their way. But this lady decided to stand her ground and started to growl. This was was the most scary thing that has happened with me in the jungle. We decided to stop clicking and though best was to duck under the seats. The growling went on for a good 2-3 minutes. and I am sure all of us were that close to having heart attacks!!
DSC05343.JPG

When I regained some composure, this is the shot that I clicked hiding between the gypsy seats. The pic is thru the windshield of the Gypsy and Arrowhead did seem a bit angry!!
DSC05356.JPG

Finally she left us and went on walking. This is when we finally heaved a sigh of relief!!
DSC05381.JPG

This also meant that our time was up in the park. We left the park, a bit shaken but highly relieved.

So Long, till the parks open next after monsoons!!

Shantanu Roy

WHAT A STORY!! A dream situation for any wildlifer...bit risky though.
And yes great clicks.She does seem in a challenging mood in the second last photo.
Arrowhead and Pacman have become so popular these days and are being sighted regularly. Long time no news of Krishna and the third cub. Any update about them. Also would look for any news of Sultan.

DKay

Super User
WHAT A STORY!! A dream situation for any wildlifer...bit risky though.
And yes great clicks.She does seem in a challenging mood in the second last photo.
Arrowhead and Pacman have become so popular these days and are being sighted regularly. Long time no news of Krishna and the third cub. Any update about them. Also would look for any news of Sultan.
By third cub if you mean Lightening, well she is quite visible and has been photographed quite a few number of times during the last few days. Infact I saw her in my last visit too. She had a porcupine quill lodged just below her neck hence her movement was quite restricted for the last few days. Regarding Krishna, she was seen mating with Star a few months back, hence everyone is presuming that she has limited her area as she is ready to deliver again. So fingers crossed on that note.
Sultan is safe and sound at Kela Devi Sanctuary. Here is the proof -

Camera Trap Image Courtesy:- Tiger Watch (NGO)
IMG-20160623-WA0016.jpg

Shantanu Roy

She had a porcupine quill lodged just below her neck hence her movement was quite restricted for the last few days. Regarding Krishna, she was seen mating with Star a few months back, hence everyone is presuming that she has limited her area as she is ready to deliver again. So fingers crossed on that note.
Good to know about Lightening and Krishna!

Sultan is safe and sound at Kela Devi Sanctuary. Here is the proof -
That's great. Hope he has established his own territory there.

subratseet

Subrat Seet
Superb sightings. I the unfortunate one who does not have a single images of the famous T-19 and cubs.
How did u manage the Fish eye one Sir ji? Please shed some light.
Thanks and regards
Subrat

DKay

Super User
Dkay, what lovely sightings, I am so happy for you and lovely clicks, your prowess as a photog has gone up amazingly. thanks for sharing.
Hi KD, its always good to hear from you. Thank you for your kind words. Am actually paying attention to what I shoot now so I guess the results are showing. Hope you are well!!

Great !
Great !
Great !
Great !
Great !
Thanks Satinder jee

Superb sightings. I the unfortunate one who does not have a single images of the famous T-19 and cubs.
How did u manage the Fish eye one Sir ji? Please shed some light.
Thanks and regards
Subrat
Ah well, I guess, your time will come too to photograph them. But seriously. I am a fan of your tiger pictures and your one tiger picture is worth my 1000 t19 + cubs pictures. So keep showing us your other tigers till you get T19 and its latest litter?? Maybe??

Regarding the fish eye photo, its a photoshop job of a mobile picture. Simple :)