RE TB 350 BS4 - creating trouble - please help!

debu_champ

Hi guys,

As you all know, your truly is a silent follower of the forum. But recently back to back troubles my bully is making, lead me to open this thread. Below are some history data of your reference:

Purchase date: 17th April, 2017
All services made on time (on time, km reading was lesser) from Country Motors, Barasat, which is an authorized service center of RE.
No service is made outside that very service center.

Average weekly run before lockdown: 300 km
Average weekly run after lockdown: 15 km (max)

Total km ran: 27770

Now some maintenance data:
Changed to tubeless on 19th July, 2019. At that time fitted a switch for headlight, 2 fog lights at the top of the leg guard with a switch and a holder for mobile with usb charger.

Beside above, there are no more points to mention on electrical part except 2/3 time rode few kms with a broken meter clamp (which is a known problem to users I guess). Not providing any other maintenance data because the problem now I am facing is completely on electrical parts.

On 9th August, 2020, while coming back from 14th paid service, after riding around 6/7 km, stopped at place for around 15 minutes. When to leave from there, bully simply denied getting started. Kick, self, even pushing from back went in vain. Mechanic came at the spot and found the RPM meter got short. I had 2 option to change the meter completely, which is a very costlier affair, and to disconnect only the cable of RPM meter. I choose the 2nd.

On 10th October, 2020, at 15th paid service, I was advised to replace the battery as it was not holding charge and could create trouble any time. You know there is a scarcity of battery nowadays. Got Amco ATZ9 in a nearby local garage for 2500/-. Thought to try online for some cheaper option from Exide or Amaron. The very next day morning again bully denied to start using self. Tried kicking of no use. I kept it for 10/15 minutes and tried kick directly and it started. Went straight to that garage and purchased that battery.

On 15th October, while turning to a road from a by lane, it strangely sounded like a small "bhoose" and stopped in the middle of the road. Again mechanic came from that service center and unable to start. Then they picked it up to there service center and upon investigating found that the pickup coil of armature is short now. They changed it (FLY WHEEL MAGNETO ASSY - 2797/-) and suggested to change the meter again. As per them, as this pickup coil has direct link with RPM meter, and which is not connected now, it may get short again and stop working.

Now my point is, why this back to back troubles? Is this incidents sound normal? If not, what should I do? Is this true what they lastly said? Bully's health is important, but budget is also important. Is there any good mechanic to whom I should visit and check the electrical parts thoroughly?

Last edited:

AnupamR

Super User
Where do you live in Barasat? I lived in Vivekananda Road and I still have many friends there.

Now back to your situation. Where do you usually park your bull? Does it get wet very often? Do you spill water over coil/instrumental panel while service or washing?

Last edited:

debu_champ

Where do you live in Barasat? I lived in Vivekananda Road and I still have many friends there.
Which Vivekananda Road are you referring? Near Champadali More or at Madhyamgram? I live in Debigarh, Madhyamgram :)

Where do you usually park your bull? Does it get wet very often?
Before lockdown, the days I went office riding, it was parked open with a cover. But in heavy rain or long time rain, it got wet. I usually park it at 10:00 and again start from office at 7:30 / 8:00. In between it kept wet.

Do you spill water over coil/instrumental panel while service or washing?
I never washed it myself or any places outside the service center. Whenever I visit Country Motors for service, washing is a part of service and they do not allow supervising their work.

Now 2 more information for you. I hope you can recognize them:
Changed to tubeless on 19th July, 2019. At that time fitted a switch for headlight, 2 fog lights at the top of the leg guard with a switch and a holder for mobile with usb charger.
I did it from Apel's garage at Shishir Kunja, Barasat.

Went straight to that garage and purchased that battery.
I did it from Babu's garage, 3No Basunagar, Madhyamgram (Beside Classic Restaurant cum bar)

AnupamR

Super User
Barasat, Chapadali More/Taki Road long over 20 years back.

Pre-identification of electrical problems are next to impossible until and unless you are driving some techie motorcycle which has an ECU.

With my limited knowledge and past experience with RE I can suspect faulty electricals only, which is leading to frequent breakdown.

Check-up will not help as I already mentioned identifying is next to impossible and service center people will take you for a ride.

If I was in your place, I would have cleaned all electrical contacts using petrol/alcohol and tooth brush over the weekend and would have replaced any rusty switch/s to see if that helps.

Which Vivekananda Road are you referring? Near Champadali More or at Madhyamgram? I live in Debigarh, Madhyamgram :)

Before lockdown, the days I went office riding, it was parked open with a cover. But in heavy rain or long time rain, it got wet. I usually park it at 10:00 and again start from office at 7:30 / 8:00. In between it kept wet.

I never washed it myself or any places outside the service center. Whenever I visit Country Motors for service, washing is a part of service and they do not allow supervising their work.

Now 2 more information for you. I hope you can recognize them:

I did it from Apel's garage at Shishir Kunja, Barasat.

I did it from Babu's garage, 3No Basunagar, Madhyamgram (Beside Classic Restaurant cum bar)

debu_champ

If I was in your place, I would have cleaned all electrical contacts using petrol/alcohol and tooth brush over the weekend and would have replaced any rusty switch/s to see if that helps.
Thanks for your suggestion. Will surely do this as much as I can.

But remaining to my main question, is it true that de-touched RPM jack can cause short again to the pickup coil of armature? Can I ride without RPM meter or I should go for replacing the whole meter unit which will cost a huge (around 8000/- as a whole)

AnupamR

Super User
You don't know where Mallick Bazar is? Go there and try to fix your RPM meter.

Else consider that you are riding RE Classic. IMO this should not make any difference.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will surely do this as much as I can.

But remaining to my main question, is it true that de-touched RPM jack can cause short again to the pickup coil of armature? Can I ride without RPM meter or I should go for replacing the whole meter unit which will cost a huge (around 8000/- as a whole)

adsatinder

explorer
In every area where motor market is
You will see few meter shops.
They do repair at reasonable costs.
No need to buy a new meter at all.
They give you warranty also.
Better ask such experienced person.

debu_champ

Else consider that you are riding RE Classic. IMO this should not make any difference.
Thanks for your support dada...

I don't have any issue riding without RPM meter. If it does not affect any other costlier parts, I am fine without it... :)

You don't know where Mallick Bazar is? Go there and try to fix your RPM meter.
Definitely I shall do it, but the question is how urgent is this. That has been answered and now I am bit relaxed. The problem is, Mullick Bazar or Wellington is not on my way to office or home. And from lockdown period, work from home is going on and no chance to go to office in near future (declared). So need to manage some time on weekends.

BTW, do you refer any such mechanic. It is better to visit the best person directly.

In every area where motor market is
You will see few meter shops.
They do repair at reasonable costs.
No need to buy a new meter at all.
They give you warranty also.
Better ask such experienced person.
Thanks Satindar Paji for your reply. I shall definitely do that.