Renting Motorcycles in India

ednakram

Hi,
This is my first post, first of all kudos to Yogesh for curating this great site.
I am planning a trip from Leh to Nubra on a bike. My questions are(please point me if this was answered elsewhere):
0. Is Royal Enfield 350 going to do the job, with a pillon and added luggage and petrol (I did ride one to Ktop
last year without a pillon and overall the bike handled it well, but dont know how added weight will affect it)?
1. What is the most reliable bike rental service in Leh for hiring a Royal Enfield 350?
2. What is the remoteness of the Leh - Nubra road in mid - June (I know till KTop I will find many riders),
but how about after that in Nubra valley itself. Can minor things like bike punctures, break adjustments,
etc. be taken care of in the towns of Nubra? What is the worst case in case of puncture/breakdown in,
a remote place? (I have experience of 2500 kms riding from Srinagar - Zanskar - Leh - Manali last year
but we had a support vehicle, this time I want to go solo. I have only basic knowledge of bike functioning).
3. How much petrol to carry if I plan to go all the way to Turtuk from Leh and back, any petrol pumps
on the way?
Please provide answers and insights - preferably first hand. Thanks again :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
0. As long as it is in good condition, it should be able to do the trip without any issue. Preferably, you would want to rent the newer UCE models, since they don't eat through clutch that easily.

1. Prasham had hired from Planet Himalaya and his experience was positive. Having said that, irrespective of the renter you go with, it is always best to test the vehicle properly, before renting or rent it for local duties first.

2. Not 100% sure whether Diskit has a motorcycle mechanic or not, but there are mechanics there and it is a fairly big town, so you should be able to get minor repairs done. Puncture repair I believe is available at Khardung Village, Khalsar and Diskit. Worst come to worse, you load the bike into a pickup to take it to Leh. In any case, Nubra Valley isn't really a desolate place, it has plenty of infrastructure (army and civilian).

3. Depends on the mileage of the motorcycle. Having said that, if you are planning to visit Turtuk and Panamik as well, you will need enough fuel for around 480-490km i.e. 2-4 liter spare fuel at max.

ednakram

Thanks a lot Yogesh. I think I will go ahead and contact the bike rentals in Leh and take the bike around for 2-3 days around Leh,
that way I will have confidence in it's ability and fix any issues if found. And I wont bother with carrying a puncture repair kit (apart
from the basic toolkit, fuses and brake/clutch wires) and hope for the best :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Carry a spare spark plug and chain link as well, comes in handy at times. And of course if the bike fails to climb, then remove the airfilter.

arunabh.iitb

Hi Yogesh,

We are 2 friends (with biking experience) and wanna do ladakh (2-11 july). Considering the present situation in uttarakhand, is it advisable to bike from delhi?

Also we are a bit strapped on funds and paying a deposit exceeding 20k may be a bit of a hassle here.

I had a look at this thread and jitender (The bike rent guy err.. quoted 25k). Any idea where we could rent a pulsar in karol bagh delhi? Most of them offer enfields here though.

Any and all ideas would be welcome.

Thanks.
Arunabh

vijithktn

Hi,

I am planning my trip to ladakh, srinagar, Amritsar in August. I am thinking to hire a bike from Delhi and start my journey from there. I just want to know is it a safe time to ride in August and if you have experience to share which will help my journey thanks in advance.

Dear friends,
I am here in Chennai for official work and got 2 days free as weekend. planning to roam arround till Pndy and hence requirement of bike on rent.
Please suggest some good places in Chennai with contact details i can call for bike rental...
Quick friends...

Kiran Teja

Hi Yogesh,

I am new to BCM touring. I am planning for a bike trip, Chandigarh-manali-leh-srinagar-chandigarh. Can you please suggest me any bike rentals in Chandigarh? I dont have much time as I need to book a flight. Quick response will be appreciated. :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Sorry no idea about Chandigarh. Better rent the motorcycle from Manali, that way you won't have to get permit for Rohtang Jot.