Renting Motorcycles in India

Kiran Teja

Sorry no idea about Chandigarh. Better rent the motorcycle from Manali, that way you won't have to get permit for Rohtang Jot.
Yaa, I just changed my plan. I am renting from Manali and returning it back in 10 days. But "Bike Renals manali" is charging 1750 for a relatively new 500cc Thunderbird. I have no idea about the rental prices over there and about that rental place. Can you give your opinion?? or suggest a better place.

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
I've had a brief but good experience with Anu. We booked 3 bikes with him and transferred 50% advance to his account. But we had to cancel the trip 3 days prior and Anu returned the entire money within 5 days.

Kiran Teja

I just called him up. Nice unassuming guy. I was asking him about the condition of his bikes, his reply was "mujhe abhitak 10 girl friends chodke chalegaye, kyunki mai unse jyaada time mere gadiyo ko maintain karne me hi lagaata hun" :)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Lol. Though you are not supposed to ask halwai whether or not his sweets are fresh, because you will always get positive nod.

Kiran Teja

Lol. Though you are not supposed to ask halwai whether or not his sweets are fresh, because you will always get positive nod.
Haha... True that :D

But i am really desparate to make this trip work with out any major breakdowns and glitches. Most importantly because I am taking the love of my life with me. Hence Im trying to cover all bases and have all sorts of backups. That explains why am with BCM
So I am insisting to every renter on an almost brand new bike that will be fit for 12 days. Please refer to my itenary

Day 1(july 1st): Manali (local)
Day 2: Manali-keylong
Day 3: Keylong-Sarchu
Day-4: Sarchu-Leh
Day-5: Leh-rest
Day-6: Leh-Phangong Tso
Day-7: Phangong-Leh
Day-8: Leh Nubra
Day-9: Nubra-Leh
Day-10: Leh-Sarchu
Day-11:Sarchu-Manali
Day-12: Extra day

I avoided Tso moriri as i heard the roads are not good. Is july 1st week the perfect time or would you suggest I move it to June??

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Visit Nubra Valley first, it is lower in altitude than Pangong Tso.

July and August are best months to visit Ladakh, though it rains heavily in Himachal and rest of North India. Having said that, this year Kalachakra will be taking place in the first half of July. There will be large crowds due to it, so my suggestion would be it avoid Ladakh at that time.

zack2137

Leh'd and how!
H
I avoided Tso moriri as i heard the roads are not good. Is july 1st week the perfect time or would you suggest I move it to June??
Only the last patch to Tso Moriri is a mud track. Rest is fine.

Leh is holding Kalachakra 2014 in first 2 weeks of July. Avoid that period. Anytime in June or after mid July is okay.

Kiran Teja

Thanks very much guys. I'll avoid this and plan from June 13. But is the snow expected to be cleared off completely by june 1st this year?

- - - Updated - - -

Only the last patch to Tso Moriri is a mud track. Rest is fine.

Leh is holding Kalachakra 2014 in first 2 weeks of July. Avoid that period. Anytime in June or after mid July is okay.
Hey, I just saw this flash sale for air tickets and booked for july 20th. I am planning from July20-Aug 03. But some people that I spoke to are saying that its the worst time because of continuous rains and landslides. :shock: Please address this, I am a little worried. If the conditions would really bad, what could be my alternative :confused: :(

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
You will face rains till Zoji La on Srinagar side and till Baralacha La on Manali side. Ladakh isn't affected by monsoon, however if there is any local weather problem or western disturbance, then it can rain/snow there.