Review : Forclaz 500 by Quechua

Discussion in 'Travel and Automotive Gear' started by tsk1979, Oct 3, 2011.

1. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

Trekking and hiking shoes in India have always been woodland.
    They are hard, hardly brake, wreck your feet, and never insulate you from the surroundings.
    For example, when walking on cold ground in winters, you can feel the cold through your sole.

So for quite some time, my trusty hiking shoes were my Asics trail running shoes.
    Soft, tough, and excellent gel cushioning.

However, there was a problem, these are not really hiking or trekking shoes. They are trail running shoes, designed for outdoor running on trails. Kind of like a soft roader.
    However, I needed offroading shoes.
    My woodlands had given me corns, and were not really waterproof(try using your woodland in water and see how the suede goes for a toss after a few months)

So started the search.
    I looked at Weinbrunner(I forget the spelling) from Bata, but they do not make size 11.

Also looked at addidas outdoor range etc.,

And then I discovered Quechua.
    Its a funny sounding name, and the brand sounds expensive.

But anyways, decided to check out the shoes.
    Their showroom even had a trial zone where you could dunk the shoes in water and test grip on inclined slabs, and also see ankle support.

And guess what, the moment I wore them, I knew, these were what I had been looking for.

I wanted something like a sports shoe from inside, yet tough and waterproof from outside with ankle support.

These ones totally fit the bill.
    They are really waterproof unless water is above your ankles, and do not give fatigue to the feet.
    Best part, they are of a special fabric called Novadry, which allows your feet to breathe. Similar to I guess Northface jackets(not the ones you get from tibet market, but the original ones).

Have used them for one full day, and walked a lot in them(3-4kms), and feet feel just fine.
    No corns, or painful feet.

Only drawback, they are slightly narrow, so I had to get size 47 instead of my regular size 46, but now it means I have slightly more room ahead of my toes.

Other drawback is that tightening shoelaces takes time, but as with any hiking shoe, it takes time.

An image from the web
    [​IMG]

The offical website of the shoe
    Forclaz 500 footwear

You are now wondering about the price.
    Well its 2999 as its the "entry level light hiking shoe).

The snow range starts at 5999 and goes upto 9999. The 9999 shoes are rated for arctic level temperatures and are designed for glacier hiking :eek:

But for most normal treks, even in snow(temp upto -5), these 2999 should do just fine. Ankle support means even bikers can use them.

If you want to do Chadder trek, I would suggest go for the 5999 range, and if you want to climb the everest, then the 9999 one would be good.

And last but not the least, they are lighter than any woodland shoe. They are as light as normal sports shoes. At some 956 grams/pair, its a delight. Similar woodlands top 1500-2000g/pair.

Since these are Size 11.5, and weights are given for size nine, I guess mine would be some 1000g/pair.

Another link to novadry page
    Novadry shoes - Forclaz 500 2010 QUECHUA shoes Novadry - FOOTWEAR SHOES / BOOTS shoes

If you want to check out the winter walking snow shoes, (5999) here is the link
    QONI MAN Shoes FOOTWEAR

At wholesale price (at the cash and carry stores in blr) it costs 4999

2. PrashantBhardwaj

PrashantBhardwaj Lost and found in Ladakh!

3. akshay4384

akshay4384 THE LONE RIDER

I think,Ankur(fairworld),also got these,and used them on the ride to daranghati,he was quite happy with them,and they are water proof too,to some extent,as after the ride,he was the only one with dry feet.

4. rupinder

rupinder Active Member

this is news to me . tanveer does hikking and trekking ..i thought these were for the white elephant

5. rkbharat

rkbharat Guru

nice, where is the showroom. I need to buy a pair of good trekking shoes

6. ThrottleKing

ThrottleKing Active Member

These shoes are sold by Decathlon based out of Bangalore where they have a showroom.
    You can buy goods from their shop at wholesale prices if you have a membership with them ( just like metro) else, you will be able to buy them at retail prices.

7. rkbharat

rkbharat Guru

anything in NCR?

8. tsk1979

tsk1979 Reclaimed and Recycled

Nope, only in Bangalore.
    Well I do go hiking and trekking, but for us, a 3-4km trek is a "tough trek"
    In switzerland, we trekked for 6+ kms many times, and even climbed a mountain(more on that very late in the tlog), and at that moment I discovered that trail running shoes and hiking shoes are different.
    And guess what, I also discovered, that wet shoes are not comfortable.

9. DKay

DKay Super User

I bought my Quechua 500 before going on my KMY. I ordered them online thru decathalon. I was charged Rs. 2700/- (2499 + 200p&h)

I used them extensively in all type of terrain during my month long KMY. I was wearing the shoes everyday for a period of 7 hrs to 15 hrs thruout and never felt any pain or fatigue. At the end of the day when everyone was dying to get rid of their shoes I was pretty ok with them. Them being pretty light and cushion"y" and also letting the feet breathe thru them was a major advantage.

The terrain we traveled thru was muck, slush, boulders, pebbles, river crossings, land slide areas, steep ascent, steep descent and what not (not much of snow). The shoes performed admirably well. My socks never got wet even after loads of water crossings.

I did slip a few times on inclined wet boulders but I would put them down on me not being attentive.

TSK: initially even I found them to be a bit tight at the toe, but they opened up quite nicely!!!

So they are worth every penny I spent on them

10. shubu

shubu Member

I bought these before my recent trip to VOF-Hemkund-Mana, it is really good shoes. It is water resist upto a great extent.. it is not water proof, but it is very good at water resist.. and lot comfortable..