Review Nokia 1650, best phone for travelers

hitanshu

Master of the OT Universe
two things:
a. Phones will suck at all jingbang items for some time to come. Consider this - a GPS takes 2X2500 mAH and THEN runs some 24-28hours. On a phone that does hajaar other stuff, it has a battery of ~1000 mah only. kya khaak chalega.
b. That's okay. My funda is exact reverse. I love the cell cam for the spontaneity it offers, and ease of use. The FZ7 fell into major disuse soon after, though occasionally I do use it while riding to office and to click something interesting!

Admin01

Administrator
a. Phones will suck at all jingbang items for some time to come. Consider this - a GPS takes 2X2500 mAH and THEN runs some 24-28hours. On a phone that does hajaar other stuff, it has a battery of ~1000 mah only. kya khaak chalega.
Who cares about what type of battery they take, if they can't last long enough for our kind of usage (or for at least my kind of use), then a phone with GPS is worthless because I don't want to stop to charge it every 4-5 hours or keep it continuously plugged in to a charging unit to keep it working. Further more, if the bugger dies, then I have no way to communicate with anyone or option to capture photographs.

This kind of bling stuff is ok for techies who want to play with features and brag, but out there, when it comes to getting the job done, proper GPS systems are the way to go.

b. That's okay. My funda is exact reverse. I love the cell cam for the spontaneity it offers, and ease of use. The FZ7 fell into major disuse soon after, though occasionally I do use it while riding to office and to click something interesting!
Spontaneity yes, however Canon SD series might suit you better in that scenario as they are small and light enough to be carried everywhere and still have fantastic optics.

hitanshu

Yeah, however, its all quite solvable with a USB charger.

Problem is for hardcore trekkers. For us biker bums, both should do decently, unless its the blr/bom guys who ride so much in rains.

For careless ppl like me, its best to have least devices to lose.

Not considering canon because I'm not intd in any new cam purchase unless its the 1000D - that too not in this economic crisis:D

Admin01

Administrator
I think you mean car charger. That is an option, but with that, how long would the battery last by being continuously charged/discharged? As for rains, I face them in almost every single trip, barring a handful.

Now considering that, why should one shell out 12-14k for a phone which has GPS, when you can get a better and more rugged GPS unit, with hell lot better battery back up + a mobile phone which has enough battery backup to last the complete trip for almost the same price?

In any case, you aren’t going to use the mobile phone camera on a trip, because it makes sense to carry your proper camera which can take better quality photographs. The only things which goes in favor of such “feature rich” mobile phones in this case is the mp3 player, which if you really have to have, then you can surely think about living with above compromises or going in for a mobile phone with an mp3 player (by shelling out thousand bucks more).

As for 1000D, if you don’t like to carry your FZ7 then you will be in no mood to carry the more bulky 1000D. That’s why most people who own DSLRs, also have small digital cameras.

hitanshu

Car charger works lovely with regular GPS. donno how with mobiles.

its worth it because its FUN! And because it does the job lovely. And its ONE device. I hate juggling devices. and an interesting device to fiddle with (i love gadgets!)

but yes, ONCe I am in the mood to click (not in regular times), then a good camera is in order, so SLR hi hoga. Its another thing that I'm not utilizing my cam to its potential anyways, so upgrade doesnt look worth it at the moment!

abhi1975

The Great Gambler
This would make for an interesting real-life story! :D
Further, it would help others in avoiding such gross stupidity! :grin:
Sir-ji, here's the story. It was evening and I wanted to reach home after a tiring day. It was raining heavily. I forgot to carry any rain gear that day and with the passing of each minute was loosing patience. Finally I put my lappy and the phones in the backpack after wrapping them with a towel and rode off. The backpack I was using then was imported and capable of handling light rain. However that day it was thundershower and when I reached home after 45 minutes, my lappy and the phones were floating in a mini pool inside the backpack, all of them dead. I managed to dry the lappy in sunlight over the next couple of days and was able to hand it over to the HP guyz with a very innocent face and get it fixed free of cost (LCD and MotherBoard was bust, so you can say I managed to save nearly 10K with my innocent face:twisted:). However all the phones were dead and is still dead till date. Story achchha laga?? :p What should be the morale of the story??? :mrgreen:

Do you mean to say you were using three cellphones together? Interesting!
Yes I was. That time I was opening a new office and did not have any landline. During market hours a stock broker needs to have many lines. I had the Sony and Nokia already, bought that samsung one just to handle load. Infact I really loved that one as it's the sleekest phone and very cheap too.

Last edited:

Admin01

Administrator
Maybe we should start a thread about safely carrying electronic and computer gear during heavy showers.