NatureLover

Ride to face the fear
Hats off sir. Glad you're back. Show me more as I am fan of this stretch from Gramphu to Batal. You're absolutely right that you tend to meet lots of individuals here who inspire you in one or another way.

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Hats off sir. Glad you're back. Show me more as I am fan of this stretch from Gramphu to Batal. You're absolutely right that you tend to meet lots of individuals here who inspire you in one or another way.
Thank you @NatureLover ji.
Next update of Part -2 is ready. Will upload it tonight.
Since you are fan of this stretch of Batal Gramphu, you will love these lots of pictures clicked there.

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
….Cont’d …. PART – 2.

of Day 10 = Sissu – Chandratal

As mentioned in Introduction part of this travelogue that water crossing of CHHOTA DARA will NOT be there in 2020., as BRO has started making a bridge over it. This is confirmed by this news article in local news paper KULLU KESARI dt 14.10.2019

I felt so lucky that I could ride at Chhota Dara water crossings. This challenge will not be there in 2020.
Moving ahead I saw a camping site with few tents.

View behind me.

Then I crossed a small bridge with bad road. It was on a water stream.

View of those camps from that small bridge.

This was road ahead of me.

Gate way of Chhota Dara ?

The view behind me.

At 9.50 AM, I met a solo trekker. He must be 50+. He was carrying lots of luggage on his back.

Trekking solo in this off road must be difficult and challenging. This was yet another inspiring person I met in this route. I wished him good luck and he started trekking alone on that scenic route.

View ahead of me.

Hearing the sound of Chanda River along with the road was pleasant.

Then I saw yet another group of foreigners on auto.

They were challenging themselves with auto on those bad off road.

At 10:00 AM, I came across a road bifurcation. I was confused where to go.

View of a mountain peak from there.

I kept my bike there and walked ahead in right side road. I saw some people there. There was some water on road also.

There was an auto also and some bikers were trying to cross that water crossing with each other’s help.
So this was the famous & ferocious CHHOTA DARA Water crossing. I saw one local vehicle coming and crossing it.

That local vehicle gave me confidence of crossing it. I moved ahead and crossed Chhota Dara at one go.

Chhota Dara Video- 1

I was very happy to cross it at one go. Doing that solo was something which gave me more confidence.
And yes, in this process, my bike got cleaned up from bottom. Both the rim of my wheels got fully cleaned with water stream.

How difficult is this water crossing? See this video of a biker crossing it.

Chhota Dara Video -2

Is it a road?

View of road ahead from that water crossing.

That auto with three foreigners was observing all this and they also moved ahead and crossed it.

The color of water was not clear, seems it was coming out from some glacier of nearby mountain.

The automatically washed bike.

Then came two bikes and they crossed it without pillion, with some difficulty.

I moved ahead and crossed yet another small water crossing.

View of mountain peak there.

I have heard that there are two difficult water crossings near Chhota Dara. I crossed one, but waiting for another’s view.

At 10.35AM, I saw this second water crossing near Chhota Dara. This was little difficult as there were rocks on road with moving water.

Water here was not deep as previous one, but little ascend and stones were making it little difficult.

At 10.45AM, I reached Chhota Dara Village where there was only one HPPWD Rest house. It was at 11154 feet.

I have read a travelogue where one person spent entire winter here alone. This is that HPPWD Rest house.

View of a snow capped mountain peak near it.

Video of Chhota Dara Rest House

I moved ahead on those scenic bad off road.

View of Chandra River there.

View behind.

Another mountain peak view.

View of off road ahead at 11AM.

View of road behind.

There are some pictures of bad road and mountains clicked on the scenic way ahead.

At 11.30 AM, I came across a wide open area, which was looking as a melted glacier.
This was Pin Parvati Parvat’s end part towards Chandra River.

View of road ahead.

At 11.40AM, I saw this wide area where color of mountain was different.

Can you see
Blue and Red cable near Chandra River? These were Jio Mobile Signal cable being laid.

View of mountain peaks from there.

This was my first view of BATAL at 11.45 AM.

View behind.

These land movers were digging and laying Jio Mobile’s Cables.

At 12PM, I reached BATAL.

There is a PWD Rest House at Batal.

I heard a lot about Chacha Chachi Chandra Dhaba at Batal. I met Chacha and clicked a picture with him.
This legendary dhaba is serving since last 46 years. And that to at one of the most difficult terrains in the world in most hostile conditions, weather and bad roads.
Owner Dorje Bodh and his wife Hishe Chhomo have been very helpful and kind.
They have been providing adventurers, bikers, drivers, passengers, trekkers, etc. with food and shelter for all these long years in their very humble and jovial way. But not just this, they have also been helping and rescuing the travelers and adventurers caught in sudden weather, snowfalls, landslides or any other emergencies.

This extraordinary couple is now part of many adventure folklores for decades and deservingly enough, have also been recognized with many awards, including Godfrey Philips bravery award. This is the wall inside the Dhaba showing them all.

This was my lunch there. It was served with love. The behaviour of Chacha made me feel home.

The view inside the dhaba.

Coming up…in PART-3…. CHANDRA TAL

Click
HERE for next Update
…cont’d…

Last edited:

Tilak Francis

….Cont’d …. PART – 2.

of Day 10 = Sissu – Chandratal

As mentioned in Introduction part of this travelogue that water crossing of CHHOTA DARA will NOT be there in 2020., as BRO has started making a bridge over it. This is confirmed by this news article in local news paper KULLU KESARI dt 14.10.2019

I felt so lucky that I could ride at Chhota Dara water crossings. This challenge will not be there in 2020.
Moving ahead I saw a camping site with few tents.

View behind me.

Then I crossed a small bridge with bad road. It was on a water stream.

View of those camps from that small bridge.

This was road ahead of me.

Gate way of Chhota Dara ?

The view behind me.

At 9.50 AM, I met a solo trekker. He must be 50+. He was carrying lots of luggage on his back.

Trekking solo in this off road must be difficult and challenging. This was yet another inspiring person I met in this route. I wished him good luck and he started trekking alone on that scenic route.

View ahead of me.

Hearing the sound of Chanda River along with the road was pleasant.

Then I saw yet another group of foreigners on auto.

They were challenging themselves with auto on those bad off road.

At 10:00 AM, I came across a road bifurcation. I was confused where to go.

View of a mountain peak from there.

I kept my bike there and walked ahead in right side road. I saw some people there. There was some water on road also.

There was an auto also and some bikers were trying to cross that water crossing with each other’s help.
So this was the famous & ferocious CHHOTA DARA Water crossing. I saw one local vehicle coming and crossing it.

That local vehicle gave me confidence of crossing it. I moved ahead and crossed Chhota Dara at one go.

Chhota Dara Video- 1

I was very happy to cross it at one go. Doing that solo was something which gave me more confidence.
And yes, in this process, my bike got cleaned up from bottom. Both the rim of my wheels got fully cleaned with water stream.

How difficult is this water crossing? See this video of a biker crossing it.

Chhota Dara Video -2

Is it a road?

View of road ahead from that water crossing.

That auto with three foreigners was observing all this and they also moved ahead and crossed it.

The color of water was not clear, seems it was coming out from some glacier of nearby mountain.

The automatically washed bike.

Then came two bikes and they crossed it without pillion, with some difficulty.

I moved ahead and crossed yet another small water crossing.

View of mountain peak there.

I have heard that there are two difficult water crossings near Chhota Dara. I crossed one, but waiting for another’s view.

At 10.35AM, I saw this second water crossing near Chhota Dara. This was little difficult as there were rocks on road with moving water.

Water here was not deep as previous one, but little ascend and stones were making it little difficult.

At 10.45AM, I reached Chhota Dara Village where there was only one HPPWD Rest house. It was at 11154 feet.

I have read a travelogue where one person spent entire winter here alone. This is that HPPWD Rest house.

View of a snow capped mountain peak near it.

Video of Chhota Dara Rest House

I moved ahead on those scenic bad off road.

View of Chandra River there.

View behind.

Another mountain peak view.

View of off road ahead at 11AM.

View of road behind.

There are some pictures of bad road and mountains clicked on the scenic way ahead.

At 11.30 AM, I came across a wide open area, which was looking as a melted glacier.
This was Pin Parvati Parvat’s end part towards Chandra River.

View of road ahead.

At 11.40AM, I saw this wide area where color of mountain was different.

Can you see
Blue and Red cable near Chandra River? These were Jio Mobile Signal cable being laid.

View of mountain peaks from there.

This was my first view of BATAL at 11.45 AM.

View behind.

These land movers were digging and laying Jio Mobile’s Cables.

At 12PM, I reached BATAL.

There is a PWD Rest House at Batal.

I heard a lot about Chacha Chachi Chandra Dhaba at Batal. I met Chacha and clicked a picture with him.
This legendary dhaba is serving since last 46 years. And that to at one of the most difficult terrains in the world in most hostile conditions, weather and bad roads.
Owner Dorje Bodh and his wife Hishe Chhomo have been very helpful and kind.
They have been providing adventurers, bikers, drivers, passengers, trekkers, etc. with food and shelter for all these long years in their very humble and jovial way. But not just this, they have also been helping and rescuing the travelers and adventurers caught in sudden weather, snowfalls, landslides or any other emergencies.

This extraordinary couple is now part of many adventure folklores for decades and deservingly enough, have also been recognized with many awards, including Godfrey Philips bravery award. This is the wall inside the Dhaba showing them all.

This was my lunch there. It was served with love. The behaviour of Chacha made me feel home.

The view inside the dhaba.

Coming up…in PART-3…. CHANDRA TAL

…cont’d…
Bholo Ochi !!!

Ravi_M

@sajalsheth, thank you very much for the treat you are giving. The views are fantastic.
But, I always wonder 'What does anyone get in visiting such barren and lonely places?'
I have visited Leh / Laddakh once and found it beautiful and depressing at the same time. I always recall the song 'Ye Kahaan Aa Gaye Hum'.

When one visits such places, he / she realises what our JAWANs face in the line of duty!!
I am moved reading about Chacha-Chachi dhaba and their great service to all!! They are part of the long list of unsung heroes of our country!!
I noticed a framed photo of Veer Savarkar in the dhaba there. Salut to Chacha-Chachi !!

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
@sajalsheth, thank you very much for the treat you are giving. The views are fantastic.
But, I always wonder 'What does anyone get in visiting such barren and lonely places?'
I have visited Leh / Laddakh once and found it beautiful and depressing at the same time. I always recall the song 'Ye Kahaan Aa Gaye Hum'.

When one visits such places, he / she realises what our JAWANs face in the line of duty!!
I am moved reading about Chacha-Chachi dhaba and their great service to all!! They are part of the long list of unsung heroes of our country!!
I noticed a framed photo of Veer Savarkar in the dhaba there. Salut to Chacha-Chachi !!
Thank you @Ravi_M ji

See this short video of Chacha Chachi....

Barren and lonely places are beautiful and unexplored.
Real beauty is still there,not in traffic jammed commercial hill stations.
Only those who have been to Ladakh or Spiti , know it.

Salute to our JAWANS for all their work.