sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
.....Cont'd...
PART – 3

Day 13 = Kaza to Nako

At 12.50 PM, I reached the gate of Dhankar Gompa.

This was my first view of Dhankar.

And this is the view of confluence of River Pin and Spiti.

View of Snow capped black mountains on the way.

I saw Dhankar Helipad on the way.

View of Spiti River and mountains on the way.

Far view of Dhankar Monastery and Palace.

At 1.20PM, I reached New Dhankar Monastery and Guest House.

This was my lunch at Dhankar Monastery Guest house.

This is Dhankar Monastery and Palace at 12775 feet.

I had luggage on my bike and went till old Dhankar Monastery, but did not visit it from inside. There is also a trek of 2 hours to reach
Dhankar Lake, but I decided to keep it pending for next time.
These are few more pictures nearby.

Then I re started my ride towards Tabo.
At 3.10PM, I took a break and Tabo was 18kms from there.

Road towards Tabo from Dhankar is scenic and you ride very near to Spiti River. I took another break at 3.30pm.

This patch of road was very near to Spiti River level. But it was looking beautiful with carvings on left side and river on right side.

And this patch of road was road of rolling stones. But now it is tied with wires.

At 3.45pm, I reached Tabo Bridge.

This is entrance gate of Tabo Village.

I went inside Tabo Monastery. This is a big Chorten inside.

There are two Monasteries there, new and old one. This is the new one.

And the old one, which was made in year 996.

Some details about the Monastery.

Tabo is at 10761 feet.

I went inside old Tabo Monastery. Cameras are not allowed inside.
Tabo monastery is a monastery functional from year 996 onward and a mystical place in true sense. The moment you step inside you feel that energy, you feel that stillness and calmness. The experience that I had there cannot be described in words. Entering the main prayer/meditation hall it felt like entering a different dimension altogether, a dimension where I wasn't bound by my body or time for that matter. I believe everyone who goes there have a different kind of experience. A must visit place if you are keen on rediscovering yourself.

This is website of Tabo Monastery.
Tabo Monastery

This is me at the entrance of old Tabo Monastery.

There are several hotels and home stays at Tabo. I recommend staying at Tabo and since it is at less altitude than Nako, it is good to stay here for acclimatization.
This is view inside new Tabo Monastery.

Colorful Golden Buddha Statue looks amazing there.

Gate of new Monastery.

A Chorten at outer area.

It was 4.20PM. I asked locals at Tabo that the route condition and time it takes to reach Nako via Gue Village. They told me that both can be visited in next two hours.
Then I started riding towards Gue Village. I reached the diversion of Gue Village on Tabo Nako Road at 5.00PM. There was good sunlight also.

Now the road was small in length and small stones were falling on road in many places.
I rode carefully and slowly.
At 5.30Pm, I reached Gue Monastery.

I visited Gue Mummy also. It is at 10499 feet.

This Mummy is now placed inside a small house next to Monastery and army personnel guard the area.

The mummy, identified as that of monk Sangha Tenzin, was found inside a tomb at Gue village. Gue villagers have known about the mummy since 1975, when an earthquake struck the region and brought down a part of the tomb.

View of Mountains opposite Gue Monastery.

Now it was 5.30pm and still there was day light. There is a home stay at Gue village also. But I decided to ride till Nako and stay at near Nako Lake.
Nako is around 46 kms from Gue. I crossed
Sumdo and saw diversion towards Kourik. There is a Sugar Point at Kourik where you can see Chinese Solders and some part of China/ Tibet.
After that I rode in night for the first time in this ride. After Kourik road on the ascend started and slowly I reached Nako at 7.30PM.
I wrongly rode towards Mani Prayer hill and that was dead end of road there. So I had to come back with lots of difficulty as it is very bad road at the end.
I stayed at Hotel Zambala, which is very near to Nako Lake and has good parking also.
I bargained a double bed room for Rs.700 there.

This was my dinner at Hotel.

This was my road map for the day.

Coming up….Next….Nako Lake, Nako’s top view point, Most Treacherous road, Kalpa, Roghi Cliff Suicide Point.

Click
HERE for next update.

Last edited:
And Sajjal Ji, You ended today's updates with some delicious Dinner.... Ha...Ha...Ha... Really you have enjoyed the trip very well, though you went solo. But we are in Dilemma whether to do our Spiti trip in May end or to postpone it due to Corona threat...

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
And Sajjal Ji, You ended today's updates with some delicious Dinner.... Ha...Ha...Ha... Really you have enjoyed the trip very well, though you went solo. But we are in Dilemma whether to do our Spiti trip in May end or to postpone it due to Corona threat...
@rrstallion ji
Thank you.
In this ride , i got good food everywhere, except 2-3 places.
I enjoyed nature and my ride in this solo ride.

At present entry of Tourist is banned in Kaza.
Better go after Carona virus threat is over.