Ride to "Spiti Valley" --Kalpa-Tabo-Kaza-- June 2016

SURESH GOEL

" BETTER TO SEE SOMETHING ONCE, THAN TO HEAR ABOUT IT A THOUSAND TIMES"

Hi Guys,

With my earlier Road trips- Once to Leh, Twice to Sangla Valley, Once to Sojha & many more , I wanted to do Spiti Valley too from such a long time.

Reading the above quote again and again, Also Great thanks to this forum threads and inspiring trips of you guys to wonderful places, finally I am planning for much awaited road trip to Spiti Valley in Early June,16.

From last many days I am reading different threads of this forum and from trips of some of you guys I referred, I made this rough itinerary for my plans starting from Ludhiana to Shimla-Chitkul-Kalpa-Tabo-Kaza-Kunjum Pass in my Mitsubishi PAJERO with my 2 or 3 Friends.

Day 1: Ludhiana - Shimla
Day 2: Shimla - Kalpa. (Enroute Cover Chitkul if Could, though had visited earlier )
Day 3: Kalpa - Tabo. ( Enroute Visit Nako Lake & Gyu Village)
Day 4: Tabo - Kaza (Enroute Visit Dhankar Monastery and Pin Valley)
Day 5: Kaza - Losar/Chandertal (Visit Key Monastery and Kibber Village) ** Hope Kunjum Pass is Open
Day 6: Losar/Chandertal - Manali
Day 7: Manali - Ludhiana
Have option to extend trip for 1-2 Days more anywhere in above mentioned itinerary.

Your opinions on any changes and what else we can cover and which routes we should avoid or cover will be valuable.

Thanks in advance

vikas_unzip

A Terrible Traveler!
" BETTER TO SEE SOMETHING ONCE, THAN TO HEAR ABOUT IT A THOUSAND TIMES"

Hi Guys,

With my earlier Road trips- Once to Leh, Twice to Sangla Valley, Once to Sojha & many more , I wanted to do Spiti Valley too from such a long time.

Reading the above quote again and again, Also Great thanks to this forum threads and inspiring trips of you guys to wonderful places, finally I am planning for much awaited road trip to Spiti Valley in Early June,16.

From last many days I am reading different threads of this forum and from trips of some of you guys I referred, I made this rough itinerary for my plans starting from Ludhiana to Shimla-Chitkul-Kalpa-Tabo-Kaza-Kunjum Pass in my Mitsubishi PAJERO with my 2 or 3 Friends.

Day 1: Ludhiana - Shimla
Day 2: Shimla - Kalpa. (Enroute Cover Chitkul if Could, though had visited earlier )
Day 3: Kalpa - Tabo. ( Enroute Visit Nako Lake & Gyu Village)
Day 4: Tabo - Kaza (Enroute Visit Dhankar Monastery and Pin Valley)
Day 5: Kaza - Losar/Chandertal (Visit Key Monastery and Kibber Village) ** Hope Kunjum Pass is Open
Day 7: Manali - Ludhiana
Have option to extend trip for 1-2 Days more anywhere in above mentioned itinerary.

Your opinions on any changes and what else we can cover and which routes we should avoid or cover will be valuable.

Thanks in advance
Meanwhile seniors respond to your query let me put my inputs on this.

Day 2: Shimla - Kalpa. (En-route Cover Chitkul if Could, though had visited earlier )

It will be Long day, As Tapri stretch is in bad shape. Suggest you to stretch your day 1 to Sarahan. and Start Day 2 from Sarahan to Kalpa and if possible spare a day for Chitkul.

Day 3: Kalpa - Tabo. ( En-route Visit Nako Lake & Gyu Village) - Seems Okay.

Day 4: Tabo - Kaza (Enroute Visit Dhankar Monastery and Pin Valley) - Okay

Day 5: Kaza - Losar/Chandertal (Visit Key Monastery and Kibber Village) ** Hope Kunjum Pass is Open = Chances are very Less that Kunzum would be open by Early June. IF It's Open then you can visit to Key/Kibber and then move to Chandratal. It's Doable. Start Early. (Here you will miss Langza, Chicham route + Tashigang Village, and both locations are must visit, In case Kunzum is not open then you can go to these villages).

We Did Chandratal to Bilaspur ( That Day we could have done Chadratal to Chandigarh but last night I slept only for 2 hours so could not drive beyond Bilaspur). So If you start early like 5 am. then you will hit Ludhiana by 8/9 pm, though we started at 6:30 that day).

That way you will save one day and I will suggest you to send that extra day visiting Chicham, Langza and Gete Tashigang both Route from Kaza and spend that night at Kibber).

All the Best.

SURESH GOEL

It will be Long day, As Tapri stretch is in bad shape. Suggest you to stretch your day 1 to Sarahan. and Start Day 2 from Sarahan to Kalpa and if possible spare a day for Chitkul.
Thanks Vikas ji. Chitkul is just option. all depends reaching time at Karcham

SURESH GOEL

Day 5: Kaza - Losar/Chandertal (Visit Key Monastery and Kibber Village) ** Hope Kunjum Pass is Open = Chances are very Less that Kunzum would be open by Early June. IF It's Open then you can visit to Key/Kibber and then move to Chandratal. It's Doable. Start Early. (Here you will miss Langza, Chicham route + Tashigang Village, and both locations are must visit, In case Kunzum is not open then you can go to these villages).
Yes sure , would like to visit these places, will make updates considering your suggestion accordingly. Thanks lot
Regarding return all depends upon Kunzum pass open or not. Days are not concerned, can be extended.