Road condition: Pune - Ratnagiri

amolpg

Hi,

We (family of 3) are planning to visit Ratnagiri in the first week of August. I have short listed two routes:

Pune - Umbraj - Chiplun - Ratnagiri (via Kumbharli Ghat)
Pune - Karad - Malkapur - Sakharpa - Ratnagiri (via Amba Ghat)

Timewise both are similar though gmap shows via Chiplun takes 30 mins extra.
I personally prefer via Amba Ghat since that means we can travel on NH48 for 40 kms more.
I was wondering if anyone has recently traveled on either routes? What is the latest road condition?

Thanks,
Amol

uturn

Super User
Hi,

We (family of 3) are planning to visit Ratnagiri in the first week of August. I have short listed two routes:

Pune - Umbraj - Chiplun - Ratnagiri (via Kumbharli Ghat)
Pune - Karad - Malkapur - Sakharpa - Ratnagiri (via Amba Ghat)

Timewise both are similar though gmap shows via Chiplun takes 30 mins extra.
I personally prefer via Amba Ghat since that means we can travel on NH48 for 40 kms more.
I was wondering if anyone has recently traveled on either routes? What is the latest road condition?

Thanks,
Amol
Pune-Karad -Kale -Malkapur-Amba-Sakharpa-Ratnagiri.

As per latest updates Ratnagiri districts heavy rains & badly affected mostly by August Will get reduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amolpg

Amol,
Were you able to do the trip?
It rained heavily in Konkan. Please update.
Yes, I did travel to Ratnagiri from Aug 2nd to Aug 4th. Road condition is mixed. Pune - Satara road is patchy at best. Satara - Karad is very good. Karad - Malkapur is not so good in patches. Malkapur - Amba is worst of all... big potholes in places. Amba to Ratanagiri is really good condition. I was surprised to see smooth roads on konkan side after such heavy rains.

I had to cut short my trip by a day due to rains (it was the wise decision). Biggest problem was Kolhapur district than Konkan (its used to heavy rains and water drains quickly). I took Ratnagiri - Sakharpa - Amba - Karad - Pune route both directions.
Problem was Amba river was over flowing and Amba to Malkapur road was closed in at least 3 places. While I was waiting at one place for rain water to subside and state transport driver suggested I go back a kilometer and take small bridge on Amba river (Which was not flooded yet) and go through small dusty countryside road to Karad. It was a very wise decision since Amba - Malkapur road was closed for over a week.

deepam

Super User
Yes, I did travel to Ratnagiri from Aug 2nd to Aug 4th. Road condition is mixed. Pune - Satara road is patchy at best. Satara - Karad is very good. Karad - Malkapur is not so good in patches. Malkapur - Amba is worst of all... big potholes in places. Amba to Ratanagiri is really good condition. I was surprised to see smooth roads on konkan side after such heavy rains.

I had to cut short my trip by a day due to rains (it was the wise decision). Biggest problem was Kolhapur district than Konkan (its used to heavy rains and water drains quickly). I took Ratnagiri - Sakharpa - Amba - Karad - Pune route both directions.
Problem was Amba river was over flowing and Amba to Malkapur road was closed in at least 3 places. While I was waiting at one place for rain water to subside and state transport driver suggested I go back a kilometer and take small bridge on Amba river (Which was not flooded yet) and go through small dusty countryside road to Karad. It was a very wise decision since Amba - Malkapur road was closed for over a week.
++++++++++\
Nice to know that you did visit and returned back sensing danger.
At times, Technology can never supersede Human intelligence; glad you followed ST driver advise to reach home safely.
I always bet more on ST or Lorry drivers; to get correct information of the road.

uturn

Super User

Amba Malkapur road is always problematic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abhijitk.

" Problem was Amba river was over flowing and Amba to Malkapur road was closed in at least 3 places. While I was waiting at one place for rain water to subside and state transport driver suggested I go back a kilometer and take small bridge on Amba river (Which was not flooded yet) and go through small dusty countryside road to Karad. It was a very wise decision since Amba - Malkapur road was closed for over a week. "

Hi, Amol..........reference to your feedback dated 21st Aug. 2019, kindly share any details / google map link of the alternative route that you took on getting advise from the ST bus driver.

Your info. will be very helpful as I am planning to go to Ratnagiri tomorrow and similar rain & road block conditions are expected.

Thanks in advance