Road status from Shimla to Kalpa ?? | I plan to visit kalpa on 30th and stay till 3rd on jan.

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by Aurobindo121093, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Aurobindo121093

Aurobindo121093 New Member

Hey guys!

I am planning to visit Kalpa on this new year. I'll be leaving from Ghaziabad on 29th night to reach shimla as early as possible on 30th.

I just wanted to know how is the road from shimla to kalpa. We are 5 adults traveling by an Innova.
    Also have heard we have to cautiously take care about with dielsel as there are very limited number of gas stations. So i would really appreciate that someone who has already been there to provide me an itenary for the journey from shimla to kalpa. ( do mention where we can have a hault to refule our car)

I will be extremely obliged if you could provide me with all the information as this is my first trip to kinnaur.

Thanks!

2. skysat2005

skysat2005 Super User

Hi,

Fuel is not an issue at all till Kalpa as there are many gas stations enroute, with the nearest at Rekong Peo before you reach Kalpa.

You could plan like -
    Delhi to Narkanda
    Narkanda to Kalpa
    Kalpa local
    Kalpa to Sarahan
    Sarahan to Delhi

Roads till good till Jeori and okay further for a vehicle like Innova.
    All you need to plan is Hotel bookings due to new year rush. Prefer HP tourism hotel everywhere. They are good properties with excellent locations and offer room heaters.

Just be careful of black ice on roads, particularly near Kufri, Narkanda as this makes your vehicle skid. Drive in low gear with minimal braking, use engine braking as often.

My signature carries link of my winter Kinnaur trip of 2012, with almost similar itinerary and dates, just in case it could be of any help.

Enjoy your trip and post your travelogue once you are back home.

Drive safe, Cheers...

3. Aurobindo121093

Sir,

Firstly I am highly impressed and obliged by such a swift response. Really appreciate it. :)

Secondly, I have heard that the road to Narkanda or Kufri are blocked due to snow fall apparantly.

And I have had talks with few Hotels in Kalpa, they asked us to not to prebook rooms and rather reach the destination and then book as they have availability of rooms.
    ITs just that i'm more worried about the snow issue. I'm hoping that things would go as per plan but cant be sure about Nature.

I was thinking to take my first stop at Chandigarh and then straight to Rampur. From there will probably ask the hotel people in kalpa about the roads and availability and then plan the journey forward. I am not worried about the room availability to be frank.

And definietly, will be posting pictures on my Instagram profile @Aurosematdaro , Do follow!

4. skysat2005

skysat2005 Super User

Hi,

No need to worry of snow. The roads upto Kinnaur are hardly closed due to snow, and even if they are, they'll probably be open in a day or so.

So you either keep a buffer day in hand or use alternate routes. Say if Narkanda to Shimla route is closed, you can use Kingal-Basantpur-Arki-Dharampur to reach Kalka comfortably.

In regard to your hotel booking query, I still suggest advanced booking upto Narkanda as I anticipate heavy rush on new year. Further like Sarahan, Kalpa etc are best with on the spot check in.

Rampur doesn't offer anything for travelers like us. It has to be Narkanda or Sarahan for a night halt. From Chd, you can comfortably make it to Sarahan by evening.

Something like -
    Day 0 - Delhi to Chd - Night drive, have night rest at Chd
    Day 1 - Chandigarh to Sarahan
    Day 2 - Sarahan to Kalpa
    Day 3 - Kalpa
    Day 4 - Kalpa to Narkanda
    Day 5 - Narkanda to Delhi

Enjoy your trip and don't think too much of snow. Drive safe,
    Cheers!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
    adsatinder and Gaurav Dutt like this.
  5. tanmay324

tanmay324 Active Member

I am looking to do this from this 8th to 13th. I have been to Kalpa last january but it was one very dry winter. Currently the weather looks like its unloading snow right upto 8-9 January. Will Kufri-Narkanda road be open?

6. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

The route is open at the moment. Harjinder drove back from Narkanda recently. Even if Kufri - Narkanda stretch is closed, you can take the following route to reach Rampur and then proceed to Kalpa, https://goo.gl/maps/hFup4ghQzTE2.

7. avantika

avantika Active Member

Is there any latest update on this route? Chandigarh to Narkanda via Kufri

8. Yogesh Sarkar

Yogesh Sarkar Administrator

Avoid taking this route for the next few days, unless you really have to go to Narkanda.

9. tanmay324

tanmay324 Active Member

Just came to shimla via Narkanda. Road is open but at some places there is still ice on the road. And the upcoming snowstorm will close the road very early.

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

10. Aurobindo121093

Hi Guys!

I was lucky enough to go and come back in perfect weather conditions.

Here are some pictures ( KALPA -SANGLA -CHITKUL)

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM FOR MORE PICTURES OF THIS TRIP

@AUROSEMATDARO my insta handle

Thanks

DSC_1685-3.JPG

DSC_1779-2.JPG

DSC_1830-2.JPG

DSC_1854-2.JPG

DSC_1898-2.JPG

DSC_1915-2.JPG

DSC_2001b-2.JPG

DSC_2030-2.JPG