Road Status - Mumbai - Sonamarg. Please update

I will be leaving Mumbai on 23rd July.

Below is the route I have decided, kindly suggest if I have taken the fastest and smoothest one. Also if you could help with the approx. time it might take to travel.

Mumbai - Ajmer (night stay)
Ajmer - Ambala (night stay)
Ambala - Amritsar (night stay)
Amritsar - Srinagar (night stay)
Srinagar - Sonamarg or Kargil (night stay)

guds2k

Below is the route I have decided, kindly suggest if I have taken the fastest and smoothest one. Also if you could help with the approx. time it might take to travel.

Hi Danish,

Mumbai-Ajmer -> The road is almost 95% 4/6 lane road. Hardly you will find a bad patch. Start as early as possible as its a big patch and you will find a lot of truck traffic going to Vapi from Mumbai in the morning.
Ajmer - Ambala -> The road is very good, almost full road is 4/6 lane. Go via Rohtak, you will find less traffic on this route.
Ambala - Amritsar -> The road is full 6 lane(stay on AH1 and go via Ludhiana).
Amritsar - Srinagar -> Till Pathankot you will get very good roads. After Pathankot the road is ok but doable and also the traffic will increase on this route. Take Samba - Udhampur route after that. Also start as early as possible as this stretch is laborious then the others.

If you have any intention of spending sometime in Amritsar then this route is good. But if not, you can make directly to Patnitop from Ambala and then Patnitop to Sonamarg.

guds2k

Any particular reason/advantage for taking this route as against the conventional NH via Jammu bypass? Is this route okay for motorcycle-riding?
Hey Ravi,
You will save time going via this route. This route is good for motorcycle as well.

deba72

Please check the travelogue posted by SBH in the "Travelogue from East India". I think he also took this route to bypass Jammu and his experience was not good.

guds2k

We traveled in last week of June and we too traveled with Swift, though the road has some bad patches but it is doable. I don't remember the length of the bad patches but yes they are not very long.

Anyways going via Jammu will get good roads but is 45 kms long.

adsatinder

explorer

Keep eye on news.
Plan B to go via Manali.
Get permit to cross Rohtang.