Road status - Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Meerut, Baghpat region.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Creating this Dedicated thread for Road updates from Area in Muzaffarnagar, Shamli, Meerut, Baghpat Districts (UP).

Encouraging people to make updates and ask queries.

Status as of March-2014.

1) Muzaffarnagar to Shamli - 38KM direct road is probably the worst road in UP at present. 1st gear in a Hatchback seems too fast and sedans simply can get stuck. It takes more then 2 hours to cover this 38KM. Traffic volume is very less here.

3 years back, I could complete this in 30 minutes. Avoid at any cost now. There are alternate routes for this, described below.

2) Shamli to Karnal road: 45 KM long road, again is in too bad shape. 1st gear will cry. Local people use "Shamli >> Panipat >> Karnal" route to travel and they avoid main road.

3) Shamli to Baraut: 42 KM long road. Road status again is too bad. Not as bad as Mzn-Shamli road. So you can drive in 1st and second gear at times. Travel time in a car is 2 hours few minutes. I would avoid traveling on this one and if I had to come to Delhi from Shamli, I would go via Panipat( Samalkha).

4) Shamli to Saharanpur: 66 KM road: Road status is mostly good. Road widening going on. I would estimate travel time as 2 hours, which is good. Thanabhawan town is a total mess but that is only 2 KM.

********************UPDATES*************

So, last time I had to go from Ghaziabad to Shamli, what road we took?

MZN to Shamli..jpg

Referring to Map above, we went Ghaziabad >> Meerut bypass >> Mansurpur >> left to Shahpur (Nice road, fast enough) >> Bassi village (Popular because of voilance and politics) >> Bhoran >> Shamli. (Map point A>B>C>D)
Of this, Bhoran to shamli is a great road. Only bad patch is 11 KM from Shahpur to Bhoran. In Jan, it was good for 25-35 kmph drive. Off late with raid it has become good for 1st/2nd gear only.

If you are in Muzaffarnagar, and had to go to shamil, your only option is to go via Thanabhaawan (Map points F>E>D). Mzn to Thanabhawan 34 KM is single road but good surface and average traffic. You will like it. From Thanabhawan to Shamli is under construction, so the 20 KM will eat 50 minutes easily, but again, nothing too bad.

Going from Meerut to Shamli: Well, I am not so sure of this. Either the above mentioned Mansurpur route can be taken, or someone suggested this. Meerut to Sardhana is reported OK. Sardhana to Budhana road is reported not so good (Never driven there recently). Go another 10 KM till Fugana and take right from Fugana to Bhora Klain (very good road) and then take left to Shamli.

Shamli to Delhi: Only workable solution is to head towards Panipat and take left to Samalkha and join NH1. Last I drove on this, it has some potholes, but I was able to maintain 3rd/4th gear most of time and even touch 5th some times. But it is not at all a comfortable Drive.

Post below by Invincible says that even this road has gone worse.

Shamli > Baraut > Baghpat > Loni stretch: Shamli to Baraut is a nightmare, almost impossible to be done in a car. Baraut to Baghpat is said to be under repair, hoping soon. Baghpat to Loni boarder is reported to be well patched now and can be Driven.

Why I am writing so much about Shamli and around? Because it is needed. Road here have gone bad enough to eat an SUV alive. Pothole is a shame, we have craters. People are doing protest and rallies and demanding for roads.
For someone like me, I have to plan well, make phone calls to ask for road status every time I head here. There are only fer drivable roads and they are village roads, not visible on Google maps, and not safe for new comers.

This is one of the most fertile area of India and generates a lot of revenue too. Thanks to Mulayam (oops, Akhilesh) government. Roads 3 years back used to be in good shape.

****More updates********
There can be updates from Meerut > Mawana road which is good Mostly (I know from Jan2014). I dont need to comment on NH58, which is in good shape except Jam in Modinagar, Muradnagar.

ByPass update: Meerut by pass as you know is NH58 and in great shape. Hapur Bypass road of meerut is under repair and totally blocked.
Muzaffarnagar Bypass, starting from Pinna, shamli road to all the way up to jansath road cut to roorkee road cut is in very good shape.

More updates coming soon.

Last edited:

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Latest updates.

1) Muzaffarnagar > Bhopa > Morna > Shuratal Gangan tirth is in very good shape. Narrow road, but sufficient.
2) Shamli > Karnal SH82, is in really bad shape. Dont ever dare go there. Someone close to me got his tractor toppled because of potholes. No one was hurt by God's grace.
In cars like Zen, at times we had to ask co-passengers to step out to prevent under-belly hits.
3) Shamli > Panipat SH12, is getting worse day by day. All truck traffic is using this road since all other roads are too bad.
4) Muzaffarnagar > Shahpur > Budhana > Baraut MDR135W is in good Shape, though narrow. Expect traffic Jam since most people use this road these days.

5) Last time I went inside Meerut city, I spend 3-4 hours doing Partapur > University > begampul > Modipuram. Just too much traffic and some of the roads were in bad shape near partapur side. FYI, Hapur road bypass is under construction and traffic was blocked on that 8 Km patch.

******Update****
6) Meerut > Mawana > Bijnoaur road is reported in good condition. Someone traveled here 2 months back and said so.

7) Can someone update "Muzaffarnagar > Saharanpur " road status?

Last edited:

just_anything

thanks for a really a wonderfull post,,.
i am in meerut and i would be grateful if you can give me suggestion on the following :
i have to go to ludhiana.. i will be moving in a car and will have 10- 12 trucks along with me...
what is the best way .... i have two routes in mind .. . meerut to shamli to karnal .. and another is meerut to bagpath to sonipath and karnal and further....
please suggest....

i am in meerut and i would be grateful if you can give me suggestion on the following :
i have to go to ludhiana.. i will be moving in a car and will have 10- 12 trucks along with me...
what is the best way .... i have two routes in mind .. . meerut to shamli to karnal .. and another is meerut to bagpath to sonipath and karnal and further....
please suggest....
You can opt for Merrut- Baraut- Nivada and then right for Bahalgarh and then head towards Karnal from there on. The route is definitely better if you leave early morning. Traffic is a chaos in Merrut city especially when you have the company of trucks with yourself.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Meerut to Sardhana is good road. I am told that Road after that till Shamli is in Bad shape, however if you read above there are alternate routes through Fugana > Kharad > Bhoran.
Finally, Shamli to Karnal is NO NO. Shamli to Panipat can be taken, though still with lot of bad patches.

I like the suggestion from invincible below. But I am not sure of road condition from Sardhana till Baraut. Also 13 Km stretch from Baraut towards Nivada(Baghpat) is under construction.

Alternatively, you could take direct road from Meerut to Baghpat SH14. Not sure of road condition. Please ask someone. And from Baghpat, you can take road mentioned by invincible below.

please suggest....
You can opt for Merrut- Baraut- Nivada and then right for Bahalgarh and then head towards Karnal from there on. The route is definitely better if you leave early morning. Traffic is a chaos in Merrut city especially when you have the company of trucks with yourself.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
Update: My Colleague travels from Delhi to Dehradun. He said that After muzaffarnagar, NH58 is in bad shape all the way till Roorkee, Haridwar. 2-3 gear will be your choice there.

Roorkee to Dehradun is reported better with 3-4th gear possible specially because traffic volume is less.

ntk

Thanks...Nice Info

As per my knowledge, contract has been awarded for widening of Karnal-Meerut section of SH-82 and Saharanpur-Muzaffarnagar highway.

SH-57 Loni-Saharanpur: I had filed RTI seeking info related to this SH. RTI reply says that the deadline for the project is Sep-2014, which seems impossible to me. Enviro. clearance has been received from the centre, so we may hope this project to pick up some speed now.

Muzaffarnagar-Shamli section has such large potholes that one take bath dips in them in rainy season.

WHAT a mess these poiliticians have made of this region which has highest agricultural output in the state (comparable to Punjab/Haryana) and has huge potential for industry and eduction. BEING a part of UP has been the biggest MISFORTUNE of this land. Had it been a separate state of the size of Punjab/Haryana/Uttrakhand, it would be one of the most developed part of the country.

Meerut-Muzaffaranagar section of NH-58 is the only section in West UP Doab region on which you can drive at 80-90 kmph with least application of brakes.

Well! Still hoping for good roads in West UP. Keep updating us.

jeetcp

Mediocre me
[MENTION=38384]ntk[/MENTION]
Good updates there. Thanks for this.
And yes, I totally agree with you.