Road status to Chandigarh to Kalpa - Sangla - Chitkul (Mid June 2016)

jumponmymail

Don't live the same year 75 times and call it life
Hey Guys,

I was planing to go up to Kalpa/Sangla. Leaving from Chandigarh on 11th, June 2016

My itinerary is here..

Day 1 - Chandigarh - Rampur/Sarahan
Day 2 - Rampur/Sarahan - Kalpa
Day 3 - Visiting around Kalpa and Reckong Peo
Day 4 - Kalpa - Sangla
Day 5 - Visiting around Sangla, Rakchamm and Chitkul
Day 6 - Sangla - Shimla
Day 7 - Shimla - Chandigarh

We are 3 members me, my wife and mother. Can anyone guide me if my plan is doable with 2010 i20 Petrol (67K odo) and in well condition with all new tyres.

Also any updates about the latest weather conditions during this period and latest road status etc. I am worrying about monsoon with heavy rain and landslides?

Thanks in advance. I will appreciate if anyone guide me.

- Harsh

rameshtahlan

Super User
Forget weather,
just go,
the more you delay, the more chance of weather being worse,
Monsoon has hit Kerala on 8 Jun, so by end of month it will reach North India.

So get onto the road and go

happy landings

ThePilgrim

Just back from the route. We went till Sangla, then came back to Karcham and proceeded for Kaza. So, apart from Sangla-Chitkul, here are the details:

Till Rampur - Mostly Tarmac, well laid.

Rampur to Tapri - Mostly Tarmac, almost well laid and very very scenic. You'll get to see famous "mountain gates" of Kinnaur road.

Tapri to Karcham - You'll need to take a small diversion just behind the market at Tapri. Till last week it was a lengthy diversion via Urni village. Now, just 100m into the diversion, take the JP pull (you'll spot it easily) and you'll be back on main highway. Road is a mix of good and bad but pretty easy.

Karcham to Sangla - Much improved from what I saw 2 years back. Much of it is well laid tarmac now. Very scenic and again easily doable. The last few 100 meters before Sangla town are a bit rough but again easily doable.

Cheers

vikram.jeet

thebullrider.in
Road till Wangtu is good..after that
wantu to tapri : hell
tapri to Powari : Hell + Hell
powari to kalpa : hell + A bit good
Kalpa to karcham : Hell + some good till Reckon peo
Karcham to chitkul : mix of bad plus good roads.

The only stretch that will test your ride is wangtu to Powari except a few kms stretch around karcham....But believe me it all worth it. GO FOR IT

Swanand

Did this sector with a family group of 13 people..
The Tapri diversion via Urni is easily doable in a small car too.. saw several 800s and Santros... so you should not face a problem.

I would suggest the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Chandigarh - Rampur (you may lose time on the way upto Sarahan) you may stay at hotel mahesh regency.
Day 2 - Rampur - Kalpa (we stayed at Kinner villa)
Day 3 - Visiting around Kalpa. (nothing much to see in Reckong Peo, except the temple with standing Buddha temple)
Day 4 - Kalpa (leave by 2 p.m.) - Rakchamm (Apple Pie) (Rakcham to Kalpa took exactly 3 hrs)
Day 5 - Rakcham-Chitkul-Rakcham. Sangla has nothing to see, other than the temple/fort (completely worth a skip)
Day 6 - Rakcham to Sarahan/Rampur
Day 7 - Sarahan/Rampur to Chandigarh.

Have a great time.

jumponmymail

Don't live the same year 75 times and call it life
Thanks for your suggestions guys, it will help me a lot. Unfortunately, our plan got delayed due to urgent work in office :(

Now we are leaving on 24th June 2016.

Just back from the route. We went till Sangla, then came back to Karcham and proceeded for Kaza. So, apart from Sangla-Chitkul, here are the details:

Till Rampur - Mostly Tarmac, well laid.

Rampur to Tapri - Mostly Tarmac, almost well laid and very very scenic. You'll get to see famous "mountain gates" of Kinnaur road.

Tapri to Karcham - You'll need to take a small diversion just behind the market at Tapri. Till last week it was a lengthy diversion via Urni village. Now, just 100m into the diversion, take the JP pull (you'll spot it easily) and you'll be back on main highway. Road is a mix of good and bad but pretty easy.

Karcham to Sangla - Much improved from what I saw 2 years back. Much of it is well laid tarmac now. Very scenic and again easily doable. The last few 100 meters before Sangla town are a bit rough but again easily doable.

Cheers
Thanks you very much for your input on this trip. I'm relaxed now to hear the road is good enough.

Did this sector with a family group of 13 people..
The Tapri diversion via Urni is easily doable in a small car too.. saw several 800s and Santros... so you should not face a problem.

I would suggest the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Chandigarh - Rampur (you may lose time on the way upto Sarahan) you may stay at hotel mahesh regency.
Day 2 - Rampur - Kalpa (we stayed at Kinner villa)
Day 3 - Visiting around Kalpa. (nothing much to see in Reckong Peo, except the temple with standing Buddha temple)
Day 4 - Kalpa (leave by 2 p.m.) - Rakchamm (Apple Pie) (Rakcham to Kalpa took exactly 3 hrs)
Day 5 - Rakcham-Chitkul-Rakcham. Sangla has nothing to see, other than the temple/fort (completely worth a skip)
Day 6 - Rakcham to Sarahan/Rampur
Day 7 - Sarahan/Rampur to Chandigarh.

Have a great time.
Great!! You make my day mate. I was just thinking about it that where we can enjoy the most and your itinerary found interesting to me. I can make my plan accordingly.

After all adjustments at office and all, my final trip plan:

View attachment 676111
I think Vishal (#vishal_kap) is also going on tomorrow 17th June and would like you to update the road status.

Cheers!!