Road Trip across Vibrant Gujarat - Temples, Wildlife, Beaches & the Rann

Sachin Jatkar

Your itinerary on 24th Dec looks difficult to achieve. Unless you are aiming to reach dholavira late evening and sightseeing the next day.

My only advice is to enjoy what you can cover in a relaxed manner else you will be running around which is the last thing you may want to do on a vacation.

Don't try to cover everything if you have limited time. Also marine national park is a unique experience so wouldn't recommend that you miss it. Rest you need to decide if you want to spend time with local sightseeing in mandvi or do the Lakhpat koteshwar circuit.

Aaditi

Sachin...thanks for a lot a valuable information about the places, food, permits, and roads on this route that I could not find anywhere else. We are going to the Rann on bike for a week next month. Thanks for taking the efforts to put in place such a masterpiece!

[email protected]

When life gets complicated...... I RIDE
Sachin...thanks for a lot a valuable information about the places, food, permits, and roads on this route that I could not find anywhere else. We are going to the Rann on bike for a week next month. Thanks for taking the efforts to put in place such a masterpiece!
All the best for ur ride

[email protected]

When life gets complicated...... I RIDE
Summary

Total distance travelled from home to home - 3288 Kms

Total Toll paid from home to home - INR 1370

Total cost of Diesel on the trip - INR 11450 (Price between 55.50 to 57.50 / litre)

Route taken - Mumbai - Vadodara - Black Buck National Park - Bhavnagar - Sasan Gir - Somnath - Dwarka - Marine National Park / Narara - Jamnagar - Bhuj - Mata No Madh - Lakhpat - Narayan Sarovar - Koteshwar - Mandvi - Bhuj - Hodka - Dhordo - White Desert - Hodka - Chhari Dhand - Kalo Dungar - India Bridge - Hodka - Zainabad - Little Rann of Kutch - Zainabad - Ahmedabad - Gandhinagar - Akshardham - Ahmedabad - Mumbai.

Full Route Map
View attachment 589669

More than a month after I started this travelogue while on the road and from the hotel in Dwarka, I have come to the end. This was the longest road trip we have ever taken, and undoubtedly the best so far. Vibrant means "Pulsing or throbbing with life or full of life and energy". While Gujarat is definitely vibrant and offers really diverse options for tourism, it left us Vibrant and raring at the start of the new year. There are still so many places that we could not cover, but those are for another day and so are many we would definitely like to visit again.

End Credits

My Wife for keeping notes while we were on the road, which I referred later while writing the details. It would not have been possible for this log to have been as detailed without these notes.

My Son for enduring this long road trip without once complaining.

Finally thank you everyone for following, helping out with your suggestions and kind comments. It's the encouragement and appreciation that makes one share more. Please feel free to ask any specific questions and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge from the experience. Or send me a PM with your query.

The END.
Wonderful travelogue...wish had seen it before

Sachin Jatkar

nice rann
nice kutchh..
nice dwarka..
nice somnath..
nice birds..
Great trip report :)
This will help me in my trip next year.
Thanks Sachin for your high valued information. I just returned from Gujrat and covered almost all part of it.
Wonderful travelogue...wish had seen it before
nice rann
nice kutchh..
nice dwarka..
nice somnath..
nice birds..
nice fort..
nice fort..
Thanks everyone :)

ankitsr

Hi All,

Is it true that permits are only available online now and not from the counter as well?

All online permits seem full around and after 25th Dec. Is there any chance to book offline/private safari through resorts around?

Please suggest.

Regards,
Ankit

Sachin Jatkar

They should be available on counter as well but you need to stand in long queue. Please call and enquire with your hotel for the latest and if they can arrange for safari.