Road trip Delhi to Bandhavgarh via Gwalior & Jhansi - Advise needed

Raj0410

Hi,

We are planning to go for a road trip from Delhi to Bandhavgarh. The route we have planned is Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Chhatarpur - Panna - Nagod - Bandhavgarh.

But some travaller mentioned that the road from Gwalior and Jhansi is in very bad condition and should be only attempted with a SUV.

What are your suggestions ?

Should we attempt to reach Jhansi through Agra - Firozabad - Etawah - Auraiya - Sikandra - Bhognipur - Jhansi.

Any information on the road condition will help.

thanks in advance

Rajat

suyash_tripathi

Hi, if your prime interest is going to Bandhavgarh then take NH-2 all the way to Allahabad, then take Rewa-Beohari-Tala road to Bandhavgarh. Yes, you have heard right that Gwalior-Jhansi road is in terrible shape. You can surely take Auraiya-Bhognipur route to Jhansi, if interested in seeing Khajuraho. From Panna take Satna-Nagod-Uchhehra-Maihar-Sarlanagar-Barhi route to Bandhavgarh.

Raj0410

Hi, if your prime interest is going to Bandhavgarh then take NH-2 all the way to Allahabad, then take Rewa-Beohari-Tala road to Bandhavgarh. Yes, you have heard right that Gwalior-Jhansi road is in terrible shape. You can surely take Auraiya-Bhognipur route to Jhansi, if interested in seeing Khajuraho. From Panna take Satna-Nagod-Uchhehra-Maihar-Sarlanagar-Barhi route to Bandhavgarh.
And while returning from Bandhavgarh - which route do you suggest we should take? I would preferably want to complete the route to Delhi in 1 day.

suyash_tripathi

Returning from Bandhavgarh to Delhi in 1 day would be very difficult if not impossible. While returning you can take road via Panna-Jhansi and can visit Panna National Park & Khajuraho as well.

torquedos

Hum Hum Hain...!
Hi,

We are planning to go for a road trip from Delhi to Bandhavgarh. The route we have planned is Delhi - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Chhatarpur - Panna - Nagod - Bandhavgarh.

But some travaller mentioned that the road from Gwalior and Jhansi is in very bad condition and should be only attempted with a SUV.

What are your suggestions ?

Should we attempt to reach Jhansi through Agra - Firozabad - Etawah - Auraiya - Sikandra - Bhognipur - Jhansi.

Any information on the road condition will help.

thanks in advance

Rajat
Do not do this...the road is in a mess especially after Sikandra...Just back from Khajuraho and the memories of the bone shattering route is still haunting me...found the roads in MP to be much much better than UP. How many days do you have? If you can leave early, you can reach jhansi early evening, maybe by 4ish as Yamuna expressway comes to the rescue. Stay at Jhansi, check out the fort, and do not miss Orchha, lovely place, make sure you hire a guide there as I spent almost 20 mins searching my way out to the ground floor :p

Raj0410

Do not do this...the road is in a mess especially after Sikandra...Just back from Khajuraho and the memories of the bone shattering route is still haunting me...found the roads in MP to be much much better than UP. How many days do you have? If you can leave early, you can reach jhansi early evening, maybe by 4ish as Yamuna expressway comes to the rescue. Stay at Jhansi, check out the fort, and do not miss Orchha, lovely place, make sure you hire a guide there as I spent almost 20 mins searching my way out to the ground floor :p
So, according to you what would be the ideal route ?

Dowsarpandi

Dear Raj,
I have not driven in these areas recently but had plans to go there in April end (dropped now). The Gwalior - Jhansi 80 odd kiloimeters is perennially bad. If u have the patience to allot 3 hours for that 80 odd kms u could try doing that route. Except for this stretch, rest of the roads are in great condition. Mr. Suyash is based in MP and knows more about the routes in this part of the country. From Mr.Torquedos post it is clear that the roads beyond Sikandra are not great. I was under impression that KAnpur - Jhansi is a four lane and if at all there was a bad stretch it could probably be Kalpi - Sikandra. That is relatively smaller stretch. Overall, I dont think u ll save much time if u choose to drive via Etawah as the distance increases by about 100 km. The route via Jhansi gives u chance to visit Khajuraho, Orchha, Jhansi and Gwalior in case u r interested.

suyash_tripathi

Kanpur-Jhansi road is complete 4 laned except for a few flyovers. None the less, the point is whatever road you take, time taken will nearly be the same, now the choice is upon you. I repeat, whatever road you take, Bandhavgarh to Delhi in one day is going to be very difficult unless you have more than one driver and are willing to drive for more than 18 hours in a day.

Raj0410

I think I am decided now that I will go via Kanpur - stay one night and then move to allahabad, rewa and then bandhavgarh. Would any of you could recommend a hotel (budget) which will be close to NH2.

harsh.kumar

Hi Raj,

When are you planning to do this trip?

I am asking this because I will be going to Jhansi by train on 13th April and coming back by bike on 14th April and my route will be Jhansi - Datia - Dabra - Gwalior Bye pass - Morena - Dholpur - Agra - Mathura - Delhi. So I can update you about the current road conditions on 15th by the latest if you are leaving after that.