Road trip to Rajasthan (Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Sam Dunes and Jodhpur)

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Day 4, Kanoi to Jodhpur

Waking up early before everyone else has its advantages, the peaceful time leading up to the sunrise is one of them and before that, the oh so beautiful dawn.

01-dawn.jpg

I intended to stay put at the camp and shoot a sunrise time-lapse, while Mansi decided to go for the Camel Safari to Sam Sand Dunes. I knew I would have likely gotten better photographs, had I gone on camel safari as well. But I find camel or for that matter, any other animal ride to be cruel and had no intention of partaking in one.

Soon Mansi was off to the dunes, while my time-lapse kept clicking and captured the camp come alive with light and activity.

Around 7:40 am, the sunrise occurred and filled the atmosphere with its hues and warmth.

02-sunrise.jpg

Half an hour later, Mansi was back from her camel ride, having witnessed a beautiful sunrise from the dunes.

mansi.jpg

sunrise.jpg

After a rather heavy breakfast, we got ready for the journey ahead. However, it was only by 10:45 am that we were able to begin our journey from Kanoi to Jaisalmer.

03-road-to-jaisalmer.jpg

Once we reached Jaisalmer, we filled up the Alto's tank to the brim and began the journey back to Pokhran and then from there to Jodhpur.

The drive, for the most part, was uneventful and apart from a few bad sections en route to Pokhran and Pokhran itself, the roads we encountered were butter smooth.

04-road-to-jodhpur.jpg

Despite that, we managed to reach Jodhpur after 3 pm. We first went to the Kissan Bhojnalaya for lunch. I had eaten here during my 2015 trip to Jodhpur and had loved the food. Even though the food this time around wasn’t as great as what I had earlier, it was still pretty good.

05-food-at-kissan-bhojnalaya.jpg

After lunch, we drove to Hotel Jain Excellency. I had found this hotel on Goibibo, but it showed zero availability there. When I called the hotel, they assured me they had rooms available and gave us rooms for Rs. 1,800 each.

Mansi was dead tired after the drive from Kanoi to Jodhpur and wanted to rest for an hour, so we retired to our rooms.

An hour and a half later, we came out of the hotel. Since it was well past 6, we couldn't go to the fort, which closes at sunset. Hence we decided to take an auto the market, since Mansi wanted to do some shopping and I wanted to taste the local cuisines.

The auto driver first took us to a market full of big brands, sort of like Karol Bagh in Delhi. When we asked him to take us to an old market and he thought it was a stupid thing to do. Since the good stuff could be found here!

Well, we were neither looking for brand stores nor were we looking for fast food joints, we wanted a taste of the old bazaars of Jodhpur and we somewhat got that at Sardarpura Market, where the auto driver dropped us eventually.

Sadly though, most of the shops we checked were wholesalers and weren’t ready to sell single pieces. So we went to the Shahi Samosa and forgot all about shopping and instead gorged on the delicious and rather heavy, pyaaz ki kachori and samosa, which were served without any chutney!

06-shahi-samosa.jpg

pyaaz-ki-kachori.jpg

shahi-samsoa.jpg

By the time we finished, the entire market was in the process of shutting down for the day.

Even though we were almost full, we still decided to walk to RAAS, a boutique hotel in a beautiful haveli, in the midst of the old city of Jodhpur and next to Toorji ka Jhalra.

Sardarpura Market

07-sardar-market.jpg

Clock Tower

08-clock-tower.jpg

Toorji ka Jhalra

09-Toorji-Ka-Jhalra.jpg

Last time I had visited Jodhpur, I had tried to dine at RAAS. However, without booking, we couldn’t get a table there and this time too, we were walking in, without any reservations.

11-raas-jodhpur.jpg

As the luck would have it, they welcomed us into to their Baradari Restaurant, set amidst a beautiful garden with the Mehrangarh Fort visible in the background.

10-raas-haveli-jodhpur.jpg

Even though we were sitting in the middle of old Jodhpur, it was so peaceful and beautiful here, that we completely forgot everything else. We not only loved the delicious food we ordered, but also fell in love with the sights and sounds of RAAS, a luxury refuge in the midst of an old city!

14-pasta.jpg

12-dessert.jpg

After dinner, it was time to travel back to our hotel and leave RAAS behind. Something neither of us wanted to do, but we had to, especially since we had to begin our journey back to Delhi tomorrow.

After walking out of RAAS, we found an autorickshaw to take us back to our hotel. En route we passed numerous halwai shops and the old and the new city. There was so much to explore in Jodhpur and I had barely scratched the surface. I knew one day, I'll travel back to Jodhpur and explore it properly.

Once back at the hotel, it was time to get some much needed sleep. Tomorrow was going to be a long day…

<-Click here to read the previous part | Scroll down to read the last part

Last edited:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Day 5, Jodhpur to Delhi

At night I had received a call from my sister, informing me, my mother was ill. Hence we decided to skip the Mehrangarh Fort we were planning to visit in the morning and began our journey for Delhi at 8:45 am.

Jodhpur was still waking up lazily. Only a handful of places were open and we first wanted to refuel the car and afterwards, get something to eat. Eventually we found a place to eat on the outskirts of Jodhpur, aptly named, Jodhpur Sweets.

01-jodhpur-sweets.jpg

The menu was limited to Kachodi, Mirchi Vada, Samsoa, Dhokla, and Jalebi, and we ordered all of it!

02-breakfast.jpg

03-dhokla.jpg

04-samosa.jpg

For the most part, the food was decent and the attitude of the kid serving us was quite rough. I guess it sort of suited him.

After having our fill, we began our journey from Jodhpur to Delhi via Beawar and Kishangarh. Until Bar, the road was single lane and the work on widening it was going on. Due to this, we had to navigate multiple diversions. Thankfully though, traffic wasn’t much and we managed to maintain a decent pace for the most part.

05-jodhpur---delhi-highway.jpg

A couple of hours later, we were on the NH-25, leading to Beawar and the highway was fabulous to say the least.

06-rajasthan-highway.jpg

07-road-to-delhi.jpg

Two hours later, we were crossing the Hotel Taj Palace on the Kishangarh – Jaipur Expressway :D.

08-hotel-taj-palace.jpg

Around 3 pm we stopped at the Hotel Highway King at Bagru, having covered over 310 km (including breakfast stop) in a little over 5 hours.

11-hotel-highway-king.jpg

I usually love the food at Highway King, but this time around, I wasn’t satisfied with anything we ordered. Even though the food, for the most part, was ok, it just wasn’t tasty enough.

09-chowmein.jpg

10-bhature-chole.jpg

Around 3:45 pm we restarted our journey and got caught in traffic around Jaipur. By the time we managed to clear heavy traffic, it was almost 5 pm. Though with the beautiful Jaipur bypass in front of us, we were confident of reaching Delhi by 10 pm.

12-jaipur-bypass.jpg

That was until we got caught in a traffic jam!

13-traffc-jam.jpg

Traffic jam wasted quite a bit of our time and even after reaching the NH-8, traffic snarls continued to trouble us. So much so, when we stopped for a quick bite after Bawal at Prem Bhog Restaurant, it was already 9 pm and we had managed to cover just 90 km in the last 3 and a half hours.

14-hotel-prem-bhog-nh-8.jpg

Mansi wanted to try something different and ordered Honey Chili Potatoes at the restaurant. They weren’t all that good, but still enough to provide us energy to continue our journey to Delhi.

15-honey-chlli-potato.jpg

We managed to reach Kherki Daula Toll Plaza around 10:40 pm and from here on onward, we were stuck in traffic.

16-kherki-daula-toll.jpg

It took us almost 3 hours to cover the 60 km journey to Mansi’s home in Noida. After reaching there, I booked a cab and managed to reach home around 2:30 am, almost 18 hours after we begin our journey from Jodhpur.

However, the journey and the trip itself was well worth the effort and it was fun. Even though I couldn’t cover all the places I wished to cover. However, it gave me a glimpse of what Jaisalmer and Jodhpur have to offer and I can’t wait to go back there again.

Mansi, on the other hand, was pleasantly surprised by her ability to drive long distance continuously. Though I never had doubted her abilities even for a moment. She drove well for the most part and was at home behind the wheel. Of course, driving 17 hours on the last day was something I didn’t expect her to be able to do, yet, she did that, that too without falling asleep behind the wheels!

-----------------------The End------------------------

Last edited:

Mansi mishra

Travel Enthusiast
Thank you Yogesh for trusting me and being a continuous support through out the trip.=D&gt;
This was my first single handed drive of almost 1900km. I come to know about my strength and learnt lot of new things. This trip was not only a fun trip but it was a test of my endurance. its was actually an achievement for me.
I had a self-doubt that, being someone new to driving , I will never be able to make it till Bikaner in just one day. I remember the day we were planning this trip, I was the one who was insisting you to take the first break at Ajmer and later, I was ready to go ahead to Jaisalmer after reaching Bikaner but you stopped me. \\:D/

This trip boosted my confidence behind the wheels and I remember that my driving style was completely changed when I came back from the trip. I thoroughly enjoyed your company.

A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU. :)

Winters are here again , lets plan for another road trip now. :partyman:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Thank you Yogesh for trusting me and being a continuous support through out the trip.=D&gt;
This was my first single handed drive of almost 1900km. I come to know about my strength and learnt lot of new things. This trip was not only a fun trip but it was a test of my endurance. its was actually an achievement for me.
I had a self-doubt that, being someone new to driving , I will never be able to make it till Bikaner in just one day. I remember the day we were planning this trip, I was the one who was insisting you to take the first break at Ajmer and later, I was ready to go ahead to Jaisalmer after reaching Bikaner but you stopped me. \\:D/

This trip boosted my confidence behind the wheels and I remember that my driving style was completely changed when I came back from the trip. I thoroughly enjoyed your company.

A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU. :)

Winters are here again , lets plan for another road trip now. :partyman:
I am not getting anywhere near your car, unless and until it is stacked up with food and that too on the rear seat.

Great Rajasthan !
Great Videos !
Great Views !
Great Food !
Great Pics !
Thank you Satinder ji.