Roads to Avoid and Potential Alternatives

Discussion in 'Road Status' started by Theloststory, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Theloststory

Theloststory Active Member

Long drives are fun, but expensive, both for the money and the time you take out.
    So I trout maybe we should have a list of roads to avoid, so we don't waste our money and time, and write the reasons why to avoid.

I would start with NH17 (Mumbai - Goa Highway), which goes all the way to Kerala.
    Why avoid: Although the route is potentially scenic, in most of the journey its a single lane highway with tremendous amount of traffic. You will often be tearing your hair while a slow moving truck blocks your route for 40kms and the other lane has constant traffic so you can't even overtake. Or have a spinning state bus hurtling on your own lane and dodges the very last minute. Goa Highway (NH17) also has a very high accident rate.

(I recently tried driving Goa- Kochi on NH17, gave up out of frustration at Kannur. To much traffic, was often driving at 35-40kmph).

Alternative to NH17: if driving to Goa from Mumbai, I take the NH4 (Mumbai - Pune - Bangalore) and take a right at Belgaum.
    Mumbai - Belgaum is beautiful four lanes, and Belgaum to Goa is a beautiful drive through the Ghats. You could also take a right from Kolhapur (much before belgaum).

(I would love alternatives to NH17 to drive Mumbai - Kochi.

- - - Updated - - -

Avoid NH50 : Pune - Nashik Highway: Scenic in parts, narrow single lane in most parts and to much slow traffic. A frustration to drive. Unless you drive really really early in the morning to avoid traffic. Maybe 4 am and try reach before 8 am.
    Alternative to NH50: Not sure. Suggestions welcome.

- - - Updated - - -

Avoid (Unscenic) Coonoor - Mettupalayam - Salem - Bangalore NH 47 and NH 7: On the way back to Bangalore from Coonoor we took this road. The road quality is awesome, 4 lane. But The entire route is extremely un-scenic, constantly having to drive through Industrial corridors. You may as well sleep in a bus than drive your own car. Unless, of course, you want the thrill of high speed...

Potential Alternative: Coonoor - Ooty - Masinagudi - Bandipur - Gundlupete - Mysore - Bangalore: Not driven this route, but it passes through some nice hills and forests, so should be nice.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    Sachin Jatkar likes this.
  2. adsatinder

adsatinder I am SATINDER at Delhi

[mention=25910]shekhar 257[/mention]

3. SHEKHAR 257

SHEKHAR 257 Be a Good person but Don't try to Prove.

Drove through Coonoor - Ooty - Masinagudi - Mysore - Banglore about 2.5 months back.

Coonoor to Ooty is a good 2 laned hill road with scenic beauty.

Ooty to Masinagudi is also 2 laned and scenic. There are 36 hair pin bends as you exit Ooty. The road is nice in most parts but there are small speed breakers & pot holes in the Mudumalai Forest Area, nothing serious.

Masinagudi to Mysore is again a 2 laned road. It passes from Mudumalai & Badipur tiger reserves. Road conditions are OK with moderate traffic. We spotted elephant & lots of deers and wild boars on this road. Traffic increases as you enter Mysore which is a very normal thing.

Mysore to Bangalore is a beautiful 4 laned road and surprisingly there is no toll tax on this road. Roads are good & traffic is medium.

Hope it helps.
    Shekhar

4. Theloststory

Anandpur Sahib to Mandi in Himachal, the road is in a terrible state. Terribly dusty, under perpetual construction, broken roads etc.

5. Sachin Jatkar

Sachin Jatkar Well-Known Member

Good thread. Very useful.

6. stormrider

stormrider Well-Known Member

Try to avoid NH-8 between Ahmedabad-Vadodra at this time. Because of road-widening work, it is dotted with diversions and single carriageway being used for bi-directional traffic on most of the stretch.

However, NE-1 is an option only if you are on 4 (or more) wheels, if on anything less than the magic number of 4, you don't have a choice but to bear the torture as I did during last couple of days..

7. Theloststory

When travelling from Mumbai or Bengaluru to Puducherry:

AVOID NH66 like the plague between Krishnagiri and Thiruvannamalai (roughly 100km). (August 2015 update).

The road is non-existent, can be dangerous, even though popular mapping apps keep routing you from there. It seems the road has been like this for many many years.

Instead try:
    Puducherry to Bangalore : Tindivanam then Vandavasi then Cheyar then Arcot you bypass Vellore then Chennai Bangalore Highway to Kolar, to Bangalore.
    Or any other routes.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
    uturn likes this.
  8. Naturebuff

Naturebuff Well-Known Member

How is the road between Goa to Kochi? Is it worth driving Goa - Dharwad - Hiriyur - Mysore - Ooty - Thrissur - Kochi? Much longer but better? Any other suggestions or the main coast road through Mangalore is good?

9. Theloststory

I had tried Goa to Kochi on NH17 Goa Highway and abandoned the journey at Kannur.
    The road passes through some scenic points but it's single laned with no dividers, too much traffic and heat.

Dharwad Mysore route sounds definitely better. I would drive to Karwar then through Anshi National Park reach NH4, only becaus I love beautiful landscapes.

uturn likes this.
  10. Naturebuff

Naturebuff Well-Known Member

Thanks for the prompt response...

Ok... That's what I had thought too. Single lane does not sound inviting at all especially post monsoon!