Royal Enfield Bullet 350 UCE aka Standard UCE review

anandbj76

Hi Friends,

I purchased bullet 350 UCE in Nov-10 and have done around 1300 km by now. Had been thinking of writting this report since a logn while but could not actually do that because of hectic schdule.

Here is summary of my overall experience:

Booking:
--------
Had a test ride 2 times before booking the bull as I was concerned about whether I will be able to handle this bulky motorcycle.
Found that the charasteritic thump is missing, however the showroom guys showed me a bull fitted with short bottle silencer and the thump was decent enough.

Delivery:
---------
The dealer had promised the delivery in 3 months however in reality it took almost 4 months.
The PDI etc was done properly. No complaints on this front.

Experience so far:
-------------------
I was out of India for around 3 months and hence the running has not been much - have done only 1300 kms so far.

Overall summary:
- Starts with 1st or second kick at the most - Using chock in cold conditions is better for engine
- Vibrations not seen till 60 kmph or so
- Handling is quite good - You really feel the weight only at the time of pulling the bull on the main stand.
Other points - Please see below pros and cons :)

Pros:
1. The look and feel of legendary bullet

2. Less maintenance - Most typical problems in CI engine are not seen in UCE models.

3. STandard UCE in particular has heavy crank - same as that of C500; with this it is more stable - albeit pickup is sluggish as compared to ELectra UCE.

4. Mileage (though most bulletiers do not care about this) - I have been getting mileage of around 42 - 43 kmpl - which is very decent for this this of engine!

5. Can easily pull through in 4th gear at speed of 30 -35kmph; Can pull through in 5th gear at 45 - 50 kmph.

Cos:
1. Lacks the thump - Don't buy this if you are expecting thump like 70's CI bulls.
Thump can be taken care to a large extent by changing the silencer to Short bottle one (or Goldstar silencer).
I am planning to change silencer at next servicing - scheduled in May.

2. Engine is generally quite noisy - Tappet noise is at times more than the engine exhaust note.

3. Only kick-start is available - No electric start. Well, I really don't feel that this is a con because kick-start is extremely easy. It comes to life in one or two kicks.

Hope this helps guys who are looking for an ownership review on Bullet 350 UCE (standard UCE).

Cheers!

bull2.jpg

Bull1.jpg

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
Congratulations Anand for your bull :)

Few questions from my end.
1. How is the pickup as compared to CI engine ?
2. Top speed (or how fast have you gone so far) ?
3. Any difference in handling viz a vis CI Standard ?
4. You pointed towards tappet noise, any other noise you have experienced ?
5. How good is the standard headlamp ?
6. Why the standard handlebar is missing ?
7. How smooth is the gear shift/any false neutrals ?
8. OTR Price ?

Thanks !

anandbj76

Congratulations Anand for your bull :)

Few questions from my end.
8. OTR Price ?

Thanks !
Thanks Turbohead! :)

Please see below my replies:

Anand>> I cannot comment as I have not driven a CI bull ever, however the pickup I feel is still much better than the CI Bulls. This is due to lesser transmission losses.

Anand>> I have gone up to 75 kmph and not beyond that, but feel that it can easily touch 90 - 95. Not tested myself though.
Interestingly the RE website does not mention the top speed of standard model.

Anand>> Sorry, again I cannot comment as I have not driven a CI bull ever.

Anand>> Nope, No other strange noises. Tappet noise is the only noise.

Anand>> I have not driven for long while in night time and on highways, but whatever I have driven, I find this sufficient. You can off course go for better after market headlamps.

Anand>> Not sure what the question is. This is standard factory fitted handlebar only. I have not changed it :).

I believe Std as well as Electra come with same seat and handlebars now.

Anand>> Initially - for first 100 - 200 kms, a lot of times I used to get false neutrals, however the problem is almost reduced to non-existent now.
May be it is me who has got used to changing the gears in 'right' way.

8. OTR Price ?
Anand>> If I remember correctly, it costed me about 98.5 (in Pune), and I believe the prices have increased a little but after that.Not sure of the exact OTR now.

Cheers!
Anand

turbohead

In Pursuit of Happyness
Thanks Turbohead! :)

Please see below my replies:

Anand>> I cannot comment as I have not driven a CI bull ever, however the pickup I feel is still much better than the CI Bulls. This is due to lesser transmission losses.

Anand>> I have gone up to 75 kmph and not beyond that, but feel that it can easily touch 90 - 95. Not tested myself though.
Interestingly the RE website does not mention the top speed of standard model.

Anand>> Sorry, again I cannot comment as I have not driven a CI bull ever.

Anand>> Nope, No other strange noises. Tappet noise is the only noise.

Anand>> I have not driven for long while in night time and on highways, but whatever I have driven, I find this sufficient. You can off course go for better after market headlamps.

Anand>> Not sure what the question is. This is standard factory fitted handlebar only. I have not changed it :).

I believe Std as well as Electra come with same seat and handlebars now.

Anand>> Initially - for first 100 - 200 kms, a lot of times I used to get false neutrals, however the problem is almost reduced to non-existent now.

8. OTR Price ?
Anand>> If I remember correctly, it costed me about 98.5 (in Pune), and I believe the prices have increased a little but after that.Not sure of the exact OTR now.

Cheers!
Anand
Thanks buddy for detailed replies. Standard use to come with shorter handlebars (similar to classic), this one more looked liked Electra, thanks for the clarification once again :)

bhairav

hmm. I believe this is the matter of practice only. I, too was facing issue of false neutral (I use avenger and 1 down and 4 up was new thing to me). But now I am used to gear shifting and no issues. :)

rahulsamuel

Hi, great write up. Probably the only detailed review of the Standard 350 UCE. Thank you for sharing the info. I booked a STD 350 UCE and am waiting for delivery, its been a month now.

I have a small question

3. STandard UCE in particular has heavy crank - same as that of C500; with this it is more stable - albeit pickup is sluggish as compared to ELectra UCE.
I didnt find any information regarding this anywhere else, could you please confirm your source. It is great news if the STD 350 UCE has a heavier crank than electra. I was not convinced with my decision to drop electra for the STD 350 UCE just for the looks. I will miss the disk brakes and maybe the self starter also but I completely love the looks of the standard. The heavier crank will be an added bonus :)

anandbj76

Hi, great write up. Probably the only detailed review of the Standard 350 UCE. Thank you for sharing the info. I booked a STD 350 UCE and am waiting for delivery, its been a month now.

I have a small question

I didnt find any information regarding this anywhere else, could you please confirm your source. It is great news if the STD 350 UCE has a heavier crank than electra. I was not convinced with my decision to drop electra for the STD 350 UCE just for the looks. I will miss the disk brakes and maybe the self starter also but I completely love the looks of the standard. The heavier crank will be an added bonus :)
Thanks!

:)

Source for the information:
RE Dealship from Pune (owner himself).

He had told me even the exact weight of the crank (10 kg or 12 kg), but I have forgotten by now, however I clearly remember that he said that the Standard is the only model which has same weight same as that of C500. I also remember that Electra's crank weight is around 2kg lesser - and that makes a lot of difference in terms of reducing vibrations and increasing stability.

Please note that this information is not mentioned in any manual or anything.

Personally for me, I did not know this crank weight stuff at the time of booking, but was in love with the good-old looks.

Secondly, I did NOT want an electric start as Bulls are known to have issues with that - I would any day prefer a kick start over electric (again a very personal choice).

Cheers!
Anand

rahulsamuel

Thanks!

:)

Source for the information:
RE Dealship from Pune (owner himself).

He had told me even the exact weight of the crank (10 kg or 12 kg), but I have forgotten by now, however I clearly remember that he said that the Standard is the only model which has same weight same as that of C500. I also remember that Electra's crank weight is around 2kg lesser - and that makes a lot of difference in terms of reducing vibrations and increasing stability.

Please note that this information is not mentioned in any manual or anything.

Personally for me, I did not know this crank weight stuff at the time of booking, but was in love with the good-old looks.

Secondly, I did NOT want an electric start as Bulls are known to have issues with that - I would any day prefer a kick start over electric (again a very personal choice).

Cheers!
Anand
Thank you Anand for confirming. I also prefer the kick start but the the ES and Disk brake were a tempting combo, the looks of the standard won over the temptation though :p I might get the disk brakes fitted later. Have you considered fitting disk brakes? Or are you happy with the brakes the standard came with?