Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (standard) ownership review

Background

The first time I rode a bike was first year in college and it felt superb! Although I never had a bike of my own in college I rode my friends' or seniors' bikes regularly. I always enjoyed riding but, sadly, never got to ride a bike after college.

A few months back I was planning on upgrading my car (a 2012 Alto K10 VXi) and almost purchased a Brezza (Zdi+). However, the dealer was trying to dump an old car on me at the end of December 2016 and I cancelled the whole thing.

I was not happy with the Alto. Don't get me wrong - its a nice car, great for city commutes and the occasional trips out of the city - but it isn't exciting.

I wanted to drive something that excited me and suddenly I thought perhaps I don't need 4 wheels for that - maybe 2 would be enough. :-k

Why the Bullet 500?

Honestly - I don't know why I only considered the Bullet 500 from the starting. I never looked at any other bike. I don't have anything against the other bikes - but something about the Bull attracted me.

Also, the std 500 was the only model that came in Forest Green.

Also, I think the Bullet suits my riding style - relaxed cruising. I watched all videos on YouTube that I could. I even read the user's manual - twice - even before I'd bought the bike. :mrgreen:

Booking Experience

Went to SVR Motors (Kompally, Hyderabad) and took a test drive of the Bullet 500. It was the owner's bike with a Red Rooster exhaust. It was the first time I was riding a bike in 7 years - that too a bullet. It felt really exciting.

It was the first week of January when I took the test drive. The sales advisor told me that the production is stopped for now since the factory is under annual maintenance however, I should be able to get the bike in about 15 days.

I booked the bike around 20th January and was informed the bike will come in about 15 - 20 days.

The booking experience was nice, I paid a booking amount of Rs. 5000. They accepted debit card without charging any extra fee.

Delivery experience

I got a call from SVR motors around 7th Feb that the bike has arrived. I informed them that I'll be making the payments on Saturday, do a PDI and take the bike on Sunday.

11th Feb:
On the D-day went to the showroom and asked to see the bike. I was informed that the bike is at their workshop for PDI.
Since my experience with them had been pleasant so far I made the payments and told that I'll take the delivery tomorrow.

12th Feb:

Went to their showroom at 12 noon thinking that the bike must have arrived by now. Completed the paperwork and was told that I can collect the bike from their workshop. I wasn't happy. However, I had no choice so went to the workshop (a few KM away).

At the workshop:
I arrived at the workshop and asked for the Forest Green Bullet 500. It was being taken for a wash. After the wash it was taken to the "PDI Section" for drying. I asked for the keys and started checking the bike - electricals, tool kit, air filter, etc. Found both the spare fuses missing. I was given replacements promptly.

The ODO was at 3.5 KM.

Here's a snap of the bike as it was being dried after the wash.

Took the bike for a short test ride and found that the rear break just didn't work. That was fixed as well.

Finally, after satisfying myself that everything was fine took the bike home. Stopped at a petrol pump and filled fuel.

I was told that being a Sunday the temporary registration number couldn't be given. It seemed funny but I didn't argue. I went back the next day (13th Feb Monday) and got the temporary registration done at the showroom.

Initial Impressions:

Solid - that's the first things that comes to mind when I see it. Rides great - breaking is good enough for me (I don't drive very fast).

Since I'm still completing the run in I haven't stressed the engine. However, as everyone says - the bike has loads of torque and I had a big smile on my face when I was taking it home.

Problems
1. One problem that crept in within the first 300 KM is that the battery almost died. :mad:

One day I took the bike to office and while coming back at night the headlight dimmed and the bike went dead. I thought "Crap, what am I going to do!".

Managed to push the bike to the side of the road. Switched off the lights and tried the ES but no joy. Tried the kick and the engine roared to life.

This happened 2 - 3 times again by the time I reached home.

Took the bike to the workshop and told them of the problem. They initially thought the battery needed to be charged and said that you'll have to leave the bike overnight.
Then, another mechanic came and had a conversation with the SA looking at my bike.

They used a multi-meter to see the battery's voltage when the bike was running. After a few minutes they found that the alternator wasn't connected and the battery wasn't being charged.:|

2. The other problem I regularly face is finding neutral. But this was expected and there are solutions to avoid this so I don't really mind this problem.

3. The green neutral light is of no use in sunlight. You just cannot see it. Maybe changing to a LED bulb would help - but that's a project for later on.

4. Rear view mirrors vibrate a lot. They are good enough to make out basic shapes only. I won't be changing the mirrors but will try to do some DIY to reduce the vibrations.

Modifications done/accessories added:

1. Crash guard.
2. Leather wraps.

Nothing else for now. No plans to change the stock silencer or handlebars.

First weekend ride

When I took the delivery of the bike (12th Feb) I wasn't given a temporary number. Which spoiled my plans of taking it out for a spin on the highway on the same day.

The week started and I got very busy with office work - didn't get a chance to ride the bike.

Finally weekend came and I prepared for my first ride. Got up early in the morning, cleaned the bike & myself. Got into my gear and rode away.

I was very nervous as I was on a bike after almost 7 years. Took the bike for a 200 KM spin and by the end of it I was almost constantly smiling - the green beast had me captivated.

Here are some more snaps. More to follow. Current ODO reading ~340 KM.

Taking a break while coming back.

Lets Ride!

100 KM came up on the first weekend ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nivin Uthup

Congrats Joshi... Ride well.

Regarding Temporary Registration , you don't need to take it , if you are going to take the permanent registration within 7 days of purchase.
After paying Road tax and Insurance you can take the bike and Registration need to be done within 7 days (temp /perm) .

Thanks Nivin! :)

I opted for the temp registration as I knew I won't be able to get the permanent registration done anytime soon. I'll probably be going to the RTO next week.

Reactions: IJS
Congrats Joshi... Ride well.

Regarding Temporary Registration , you don't need to take it , if you are going to take the permanent registration within 7 days of purchase.
After paying Road tax and Insurance you can take the bike and Registration need to be done within 7 days (temp /perm) .
That's a valuable information. I didn't know that temporary registration is NOT a must. Dealerships are charging up to Rs. 500 for temporary registration. I used to think, why do we need temporary registration, if we can take it for testing within a week. I hope the information is correct.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Background

The first time I rode a bike was first year in college and it felt superb! Although I never had a bike of my own in college I rode my friends' or seniors' bikes regularly. I always enjoyed riding but, sadly, never got to ride a bike after college.

A few months back I was planning on upgrading my car (a 2012 Alto K10 VXi) and almost purchased a Brezza (Zdi+). However, the dealer was trying to dump an old car on me at the end of December 2016 and I cancelled the whole thing.

I was not happy with the Alto. Don't get me wrong - its a nice car, great for city commutes and the occasional trips out of the city - but it isn't exciting.

I wanted to drive something that excited me and suddenly I thought perhaps I don't need 4 wheels for that - maybe 2 would be enough. :-k

Why the Bullet 500?

Honestly - I don't know why I only considered the Bullet 500 from the starting. I never looked at any other bike. I don't have anything against the other bikes - but something about the Bull attracted me.

Also, the std 500 was the only model that came in Forest Green.

Also, I think the Bullet suits my riding style - relaxed cruising. I watched all videos on YouTube that I could. I even read the user's manual - twice - even before I'd bought the bike. :mrgreen:

Booking Experience

Went to SVR Motors (Kompally, Hyderabad) and took a test drive of the Bullet 500. It was the owner's bike with a Red Rooster exhaust. It was the first time I was riding a bike in 7 years - that too a bullet. It felt really exciting.

It was the first week of January when I took the test drive. The sales advisor told me that the production is stopped for now since the factory is under annual maintenance however, I should be able to get the bike in about 15 days.

I booked the bike around 20th January and was informed the bike will come in about 15 - 20 days.

The booking experience was nice, I paid a booking amount of Rs. 5000. They accepted debit card without charging any extra fee.

Delivery experience

I got a call from SVR motors around 7th Feb that the bike has arrived. I informed them that I'll be making the payments on Saturday, do a PDI and take the bike on Sunday.

11th Feb:
On the D-day went to the showroom and asked to see the bike. I was informed that the bike is at their workshop for PDI.
Since my experience with them had been pleasant so far I made the payments and told that I'll take the delivery tomorrow.

12th Feb:

Went to their showroom at 12 noon thinking that the bike must have arrived by now. Completed the paperwork and was told that I can collect the bike from their workshop. I wasn't happy. However, I had no choice so went to the workshop (a few KM away).

At the workshop:
I arrived at the workshop and asked for the Forest Green Bullet 500. It was being taken for a wash. After the wash it was taken to the "PDI Section" for drying. I asked for the keys and started checking the bike - electricals, tool kit, air filter, etc. Found both the spare fuses missing. I was given replacements promptly.

The ODO was at 3.5 KM.

Here's a snap of the bike as it was being dried after the wash.

Took the bike for a short test ride and found that the rear break just didn't work. That was fixed as well.

Finally, after satisfying myself that everything was fine took the bike home. Stopped at a petrol pump and filled fuel.

I was told that being a Sunday the temporary registration number couldn't be given. It seemed funny but I didn't argue. I went back the next day (13th Feb Monday) and got the temporary registration done at the showroom.

Initial Impressions:

Solid - that's the first things that comes to mind when I see it. Rides great - breaking is good enough for me (I don't drive very fast).

Since I'm still completing the run in I haven't stressed the engine. However, as everyone says - the bike has loads of torque and I had a big smile on my face when I was taking it home.

Problems
1. One problem that crept in within the first 300 KM is that the battery almost died. :mad:

One day I took the bike to office and while coming back at night the headlight dimmed and the bike went dead. I thought "Crap, what am I going to do!".

Managed to push the bike to the side of the road. Switched off the lights and tried the ES but no joy. Tried the kick and the engine roared to life.

This happened 2 - 3 times again by the time I reached home.

Took the bike to the workshop and told them of the problem. They initially thought the battery needed to be charged and said that you'll have to leave the bike overnight.
Then, another mechanic came and had a conversation with the SA looking at my bike.

They used a multi-meter to see the battery's voltage when the bike was running. After a few minutes they found that the alternator wasn't connected and the battery wasn't being charged.:|

2. The other problem I regularly face is finding neutral. But this was expected and there are solutions to avoid this so I don't really mind this problem.

3. The green neutral light is of no use in sunlight. You just cannot see it. Maybe changing to a LED bulb would help - but that's a project for later on.

4. Rear view mirrors vibrate a lot. They are good enough to make out basic shapes only. I won't be changing the mirrors but will try to do some DIY to reduce the vibrations.

Modifications done/accessories added:

1. Crash guard.
2. Leather wraps.

Nothing else for now. No plans to change the stock silencer or handlebars.

First weekend ride

When I took the delivery of the bike (12th Feb) I wasn't given a temporary number. Which spoiled my plans of taking it out for a spin on the highway on the same day.

The week started and I got very busy with office work - didn't get a chance to ride the bike.

Finally weekend came and I prepared for my first ride. Got up early in the morning, cleaned the bike & myself. Got into my gear and rode away.

I was very nervous as I was on a bike after almost 7 years. Took the bike for a 200 KM spin and by the end of it I was almost constantly smiling - the green beast had me captivated.

Here are some more snaps. More to follow. Current ODO reading ~340 KM.

Taking a break while coming back.

Lets Ride!

100 KM came up on the first weekend ride.
Taking delivery of a Royal Enfield and the days following that normally could not be very pleasant for the owners because one or another way several issues would bother you. My experience wasn't so pleasant either. I couldn't even enjoy the riding experience at least for three weeks because of the several small problems. First one was the handle stability. The bike was swaying to to right side and the handle was wobbling when taking speed. It didn't get fixed until second service and I was really worried that it has something to do with the frame or overall construction of the bike. The rookie Mechanics can contribute to raising your blood pressure. I was almost devastated on the second day post delivery as I had noticed some black oil like deposit on the bottom of the engine part and went to get it checked. One idiot mechanic told me that it could be oil leak, and I was really worried. After leaving the bike in the service center for the whole day, they said it was the lubricant that fell off the chain!

Vik4290

CrazyFreak
Taking delivery of a Royal Enfield and the days following that normally could not be very pleasant for the owners because one or another way several issues would bother you. My experience wasn't so pleasant either. I couldn't even enjoy the riding experience at least for three weeks because of the several small problems. First one was the handle stability. The bike was swaying to to right side and the handle was wobbling when taking speed. It didn't get fixed until second service and I was really worried that it has something to do with the frame or overall construction of the bike. The rookie Mechanics can contribute to raising your blood pressure. I was almost devastated on the second day post delivery as I had noticed some black oil like deposit on the bottom of the engine part and went to get it checked. One idiot mechanic told me that it could be oil leak, and I was really worried. After leaving the bike in the service center for the whole day, they said it was the lubricant that fell off the chain!

Forget everything and enjoy your ride buddy. Even I have bad experience.

Taking delivery of a Royal Enfield and the days following that normally could not be very pleasant for the owners...
I agree. Based on the many many posts I've read from other Bullet owners it seems that the excitement of getting a new bike quickly turns into dismay for many while trying to get the problems fixed. I guess I'm lucky that I only faced a small problem with my bike. :)