Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (standard) ownership review

I agree. Based on the many many posts I've read from other Bullet owners it seems that the excitement of getting a new bike quickly turns into dismay for many while trying to get the problems fixed. I guess I'm lucky that I only faced a small problem with my bike. :)
Yes, mostly it's the disquite surrounding the quality of Royal Engield. You tend to be very cautious and because you read a lot reviews, experiences and a whole lot of stories from people on the internet. It plays in the back of your mind, when you get the new bike. I think they don't do much PDI per say. That's the reason why they miss out on lot of small issues. Also, even if a unit is found to have a major issue, they never send it back. They fix it and give it to you. I know this from a trusted source.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

That's a valuable information. I didn't know that temporary registration is NOT a must. Dealerships are charging up to Rs. 500 for temporary registration. I used to think, why do we need temporary registration, if we can take it for testing within a week. I hope the information is correct.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
I'm not sure driving a vehicle without a registration number (temp or perm) is allowed.

The following links seem to say that while dealerships are allowed to drive without a registration anyone who purchased the bike needs to get a registration number:

1. http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/linkimages/SSL_rule3_334057343283.pdf

2. http://morth.nic.in/writereaddata/linkimages/42-3106913985.pdf

So, its been a few weeks and I've been getting confident riding my Bullet. The odo stands at 490 KM and I'll be going in for my first service tomorrow.

Here are some updates about the bike:

• No more battery issues - well almost. Since the battery got discharged quite a bit initially - it doesn't take a lot of load quickly. For example, first time when I start the bike using the electric start the battery level goes down. If I have to use the EC again after riding a few KM it doesn't work - kick-start, horn and other electrical accessories work fine though.

The battery fluid level is OK. I guess I'll pick up one of those battery chargers and "top-up" the battery.
  • Gears - moving to neutral from 1st gear is a chore. However, going from 2nd -> N is very easy. This is what I do most of the times now. Also, as advised by other bullet users changing to N while the bike is in motion is a better option that struggling with it after you stop.
  • Modifications:
    No major mods done to the bike. Just added 2 "Royal Enfield" stickers to the battery cover and the other "black box" on the other side. Picked them up from Amazon for 60 rupees each.

• Handling:
    The bike handles very well. It just seems to get better with every kilometer. :)

Sticker added to battery cover.

Will post more updates after the 1st service tomorrow.

Happy Thumping!

Vik4290

CrazyFreak
So, its been a few weeks and I've been getting confident riding my Bullet. The odo stands at 490 KM and I'll be going in for my first service tomorrow.

Here are some updates about the bike:

• No more battery issues - well almost. Since the battery got discharged quite a bit initially - it doesn't take a lot of load quickly. For example, first time when I start the bike using the electric start the battery level goes down. If I have to use the EC again after riding a few KM it doesn't work - kick-start, horn and other electrical accessories work fine though.

The battery fluid level is OK. I guess I'll pick up one of those battery chargers and "top-up" the battery.
  • Gears - moving to neutral from 1st gear is a chore. However, going from 2nd -> N is very easy. This is what I do most of the times now. Also, as advised by other bullet users changing to N while the bike is in motion is a better option that struggling with it after you stop.
  • Modifications:
    No major mods done to the bike. Just added 2 "Royal Enfield" stickers to the battery cover and the other "black box" on the other side. Picked them up from Amazon for 60 rupees each.

• Handling:
    The bike handles very well. It just seems to get better with every kilometer. :)

Sticker added to battery cover.

Will post more updates after the 1st service tomorrow.

Happy Thumping!
I have also ordered from Amazon. Hope it will reach to me soon.

First service of the bike completed with 495 on the odometer.

Cost came to a little over 750 rupees - only oil (2.3 L) and oil filter changed.

Since there were no major problems with the bike prior to the service, it didn't take very long for the servicing. I reached the service center at 9:15 and by 11:00 I was on my way back.

The service was done at SVR Motors' workshop near Bowenpally, Hyderabad. The staff seemed to be polite and didn't try to sell unwanted stuff like teflon coating and so on.

Gearshift is as before, no major problems.
Pickup is superb, puts a smile on my face every time I twist the throttle.:supz:
Handling is great. the bike feels planted and responds very well to my inputs.
The rear brake seems to have more "bite" now. Perhaps they adjusted it. Breaking feels more confident now.

Chain cleaning and lube to be done tomorrow. The rear spokes have also become filthy - will give the bike a good wash as well.

I haven't measured the mileage yet - I'm reasonably certain it must be more than the 15kpl I get from my Alto and that's enough for me. :mrgreen:

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
Congrats on the bull buddy the colour looks killer in sunlight.
One thing i like to suggest that to get the rectifier checked , since u had battery issues and also do get the battery checked at the authorised place . Royal Enfield in known for battery trouble i too faced it but they would replace the part if faulty.
Wish you infinite happy and trouble free miles.

Congrats on the bull buddy the colour looks killer in sunlight.
One thing i like to suggest that to get the rectifier checked , since u had battery issues and also do get the battery checked at the authorised place . Royal Enfield in known for battery trouble i too faced it but they would replace the part if faulty.
Wish you infinite happy and trouble free miles.
Thanks! I fell in love with the colour as soon as I saw it on RE's website. I wanted to go with the battle green colour but found that that's not possible. :(

The battery seems to be doing better now - but you are right. I should have both the battery and rectifier checked just to be sure.

I also ordered a battery charger (made in Coimbatore) from Amazon. Hopefully that should help me keep the battery in good condition.

Reactions: IJS

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
Thanks! I fell in love with the colour as soon as I saw it on RE's website. I wanted to go with the battle green colour but found that that's not possible. :(

The battery seems to be doing better now - but you are right. I should have both the battery and rectifier checked just to be sure.

I also ordered a battery charger (made in Coimbatore) from Amazon. Hopefully that should help me keep the battery in good condition.
Do post pic and more details about the charger.

@IJS Sure. The charger was just delivered at my house. I'll test it this weekend and share details. :)

On a side note, when preparing to leave for office today, I started my bullet a little earlier than normal. I normally let it idle for about a minute or so and then ride off.

Today it was idling for about 5 minutes.

What I noticed is that the gear shifting was butter smooth. Normally 1st to 2nd and back is a little rough. But it today it felt good.

I'm not sure if this was due to the extra idling or just a fluke but it felt nice. \\:D/