Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (standard) ownership review

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
@IJS Sure. The charger was just delivered at my house. I'll test it this weekend and share details. :)

On a side note, when preparing to leave for office today, I started my bullet a little earlier than normal. I normally let it idle for about a minute or so and then ride off.

Today it was idling for about 5 minutes.

What I noticed is that the gear shifting was butter smooth. Normally 1st to 2nd and back is a little rough. But it today it felt good.

I'm not sure if this was due to the extra idling or just a fluke but it felt nice. \\:D/
Yes it does work smoothly after engine is warm properly .

IMG_4526.JPG Just opened the charger. Here are some photos.

Purchased from Amazon for ₹390 (including shipping).

IMG_4529.JPG
The alligator clips seem to be connected to flimsy wires. Probably needs some juggad to ensure the solder doesn't break!

Will use it during the weekend and post a detailed review.

Reactions: IJS

Mandar_C500

@IJS Sure. The charger was just delivered at my house. I'll test it this weekend and share details. :)

On a side note, when preparing to leave for office today, I started my bullet a little earlier than normal. I normally let it idle for about a minute or so and then ride off.

What I noticed is that the gear shifting was butter smooth. Normally 1st to 2nd and back is a little rough. But it today it felt good.

I'm not sure if this was due to the extra idling or just a fluke but it felt nice. \\:D/
When you start your bike in the morning just idle it for a min and press / release the clutch 3-4 time. Gear shift becomes very smooth, also lube the chain well.
Regards
Mandar

Vik4290

CrazyFreak

What I am doing is put my bike idle for 3-5 minutes. I am doing this from Day 1. Other thing is I do kick start. Before pushing final kick I used to give my bike light kick 7-8 times with Engine kill button to 'ON' so that bike not get start after that I give hard kick to bring my Bullet in life.

saj_tb350

Hi Aasheesh_Joshi,

How did the charger perform? Would you recommend the product? I too, am looking to buy a similar one.
Could you please post the link to the charger on amazon?

Thanks

Hi Aasheesh_Joshi,

How did the charger perform? Would you recommend the product? I too, am looking to buy a similar one.
Could you please post the link to the charger on amazon?

Thanks
Sorry, I just saw your post.

Here's a link to the charger:
http://amzn.in/8LlD3AV

I've used this once till now. I thought my bike battery was low but when I started charging it the "battery full" light on the charger lit up.

So, I haven't really tested this properly.

The build quality is OK - the wires attached to the alligator clips are a little thin. But nothing that good ol electrical tape can't fix. :)

Last edited:
1000 KM Update

I've covered about 1400 KM on my bike so far. Things seem to be great - no problems in the bike. I still haven't measured the mileage but Rs 500 worth of petrol seems to last forever. :)

Here's an update about the problems I've faced so far:

1. Gearbox. Gear shifting is smoother than before partly due to my realizing how important it is to change gears at the appropriate RPM. Although this is something I've known sub-consciously when driving my Alto or my father's City - I didn't realize just how important this was when riding a Bullet.

Shifting to neutral (especially when stationary) still isn't easy but at least I don't have to struggle as much as I did initially.

No false neutrals between gears so far. Although I've noticed that sometimes the gear moves to neutral but the green N doesn't light up. It lights up when I slowly let go of the clutch. This happens rarely so I'm not worried at the moment.

2. Battery - no problems since the initial hiccup. I did try and charge it with the charger I ordered from Amazon - but it showed that the battery was already fully charged.

3. Vibrating rear-view mirrors - still vibrating like I'm riding through an earthquake. Although things do "settle down" when you're on smooth tarmac going steady at 60-70 kmph.

Things I like

1. Power - I keep hearing (and saying) that the Bullet 500 has lots of power. I got a taste of the power this Sunday.

I was on my way to a CCD 50km away from my home when I came across a group of bikes riding side-by-side and talking like they were sitting in their drawing room. I must've been doing 80kmph in 5th gear. I twisted the throttle a bit and the 200 kg beast surged forward like a madman (mad bull rather)! I didn't realize I could accelerate so fast. Needless to say it made me smile. :)

2. Horn - the dual horn is super loud. I always wear a full face helmet (MT Revenge) so when I honk I normally don't get to hear how loud it actually is.

Saturday morning - after washing the bike - I took the bike out for a short spin around the apartment complex (to get the chain warm for the lube). I didn't have a helmet on (first time I rode without one actually) and found out just how loud it is. Now I know why people stop in their tracks when I honk! :D

Accessories and customization

1. Fog lamps - ordered a pair of fog lamps from Amazon. Will get them fixed next weekend. Cost me approximately 970 INR.

2. HelmetCam - Got an SJ4000 Wifi for 6000 INR from Amazon on sale. I used to put it on my helmet but found that the handlebar mount gives a better perspective (as well as sound).

3. Viaterra tank bag. Purchased from GearUp store (which is very near my house). Build seems sturdy, plenty of storage for casual rides. Can fit a change of clothes, some food & drinks and other such items. The clear plastic pocket for the phone is touch sensitive meaning you should be able to operate your phone without taking it out.

All in all everything is good in the world. Looking forward to munching more miles.

Vik4290

CrazyFreak
1000 KM Update

I've covered about 1400 KM on my bike so far. Things seem to be great - no problems in the bike. I still haven't measured the mileage but Rs 500 worth of petrol seems to last forever. :)

Here's an update about the problems I've faced so far:

1. Gearbox. Gear shifting is smoother than before partly due to my realizing how important it is to change gears at the appropriate RPM. Although this is something I've known sub-consciously when driving my Alto or my father's City - I didn't realize just how important this was when riding a Bullet.

Shifting to neutral (especially when stationary) still isn't easy but at least I don't have to struggle as much as I did initially.

No false neutrals between gears so far. Although I've noticed that sometimes the gear moves to neutral but the green N doesn't light up. It lights up when I slowly let go of the clutch. This happens rarely so I'm not worried at the moment.

2. Battery - no problems since the initial hiccup. I did try and charge it with the charger I ordered from Amazon - but it showed that the battery was already fully charged.

3. Vibrating rear-view mirrors - still vibrating like I'm riding through an earthquake. Although things do "settle down" when you're on smooth tarmac going steady at 60-70 kmph.

Things I like

1. Power - I keep hearing (and saying) that the Bullet 500 has lots of power. I got a taste of the power this Sunday.

I was on my way to a CCD 50km away from my home when I came across a group of bikes riding side-by-side and talking like they were sitting in their drawing room. I must've been doing 80kmph in 5th gear. I twisted the throttle a bit and the 200 kg beast surged forward like a madman (mad bull rather)! I didn't realize I could accelerate so fast. Needless to say it made me smile. :)

2. Horn - the dual horn is super loud. I always wear a full face helmet (MT Revenge) so when I honk I normally don't get to hear how loud it actually is.

Saturday morning - after washing the bike - I took the bike out for a short spin around the apartment complex (to get the chain warm for the lube). I didn't have a helmet on (first time I rode without one actually) and found out just how loud it is. Now I know why people stop in their tracks when I honk! :D

Accessories and customization

1. Fog lamps - ordered a pair of fog lamps from Amazon. Will get them fixed next weekend. Cost me approximately 970 INR.

2. HelmetCam - Got an SJ4000 Wifi for 6000 INR from Amazon on sale. I used to put it on my helmet but found that the handlebar mount gives a better perspective (as well as sound).

3. Viaterra tank bag. Purchased from GearUp store (which is very near my house). Build seems sturdy, plenty of storage for casual rides. Can fit a change of clothes, some food & drinks and other such items. The clear plastic pocket for the phone is touch sensitive meaning you should be able to operate your phone without taking it out.

All in all everything is good in the world. Looking forward to munching more miles.
Waiting for your feedbacks on Fog lamps.