Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (standard) ownership review

Waiting for your feedbacks on Fog lamps.
Got them fitted yesterday. Fitting done from David's garage near Trimulgherry, Hyderabad. Fitting charges Rs 250, time taken about 15 minutes.

a. Initial impressions: these are one of the smallest LED fog lights you can get. The light throw is decent and does not blind the oncoming traffic.

They have 3 "modes" - high beam, low beam and a blinker mode. The modes change automatically after every time you turn them off and on. This can be irritating if you don't want to change the mode but have to turn the light off when you stop at a signal, etc.

Build quality is decent - the body seems to be made of Aluminium. There's 1 CREE LED chip inside.

b. Power consumption
Very low - I don't see them using a lot of battery. In fact, I think the indicators probably use more power. :)

Since their power consumption is so low I use them as DRL as well. They remain on whenever I drive - be it day or night.

Here are some snaps. Fitted them on the 2nd bar of the leg guard. This was done to prevent the indicator from hitting it while taking a turn.

The time for 2nd service came last Saturday. Went to SVR motors' workshop.

However, this time my experience was a mixed one.

The bad part:

1. They washed the bike - against the instructions in the user manual and the posters they had put up on the waiting room. I.e do not use high pressure water spray near the instrument cluster and all the switches.

2. Complaints not handled - the pipe coming from the air filter to the engine seems to have started cracking. The service advisor noted this and said we'll replace it. I agreed.

When I took the bike's delivery I noticed that the pipe was the same - although to be fair they did not charge me for the replacement. I also noticed that the pipe was not seated properly it was almost about to come out.

3. The service advisor made a note in the job sheet that the engine oil and filter need to be changed. I asked him that shouldn't this be done every 6000 km. My bike had done less than 1400 km since the last oil change. He mumbled something and said ok well top it up.

4. I was waiting in the lounge the whole time. I saw my bike being taken for wash and then being taken to the delivery area. I did not see it being taken into the actual service area. All the bikes were being taken in and out from the service area from near the customer lounge.

As I was settling the bill I noticed that the amount I had to pay was 172 Rupees only. The only charge I saw on the bill was for consumables.

After I questioned them about the servicing they didn't know what to say. I pointed out that I never saw the bike being taken for service.

At this point, unfortunately they stopped understanding my Hindi. They could communicate only in Telugu and my knowledge of the language is limited to one phrase "Telugu radu" I.e I don't know Telugu. :)

I gave up, inspected the bike making sure the water wash didn't cause problems with the electricals and rode off.

The good part:

I only paid 172 rupees for the "service".

Fortunately I haven't had any mechanical problems with the bike till now - thanks to Bullet Baba. :)

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
The time for 2nd service came last Saturday. Went to SVR motors' workshop.

However, this time my experience was a mixed one.

The bad part:

1. They washed the bike - against the instructions in the user manual and the posters they had put up on the waiting room. I.e do not use high pressure water spray near the instrument cluster and all the switches.

2. Complaints not handled - the pipe coming from the air filter to the engine seems to have started cracking. The service advisor noted this and said we'll replace it. I agreed.

When I took the bike's delivery I noticed that the pipe was the same - although to be fair they did not charge me for the replacement. I also noticed that the pipe was not seated properly it was almost about to come out.

3. The service advisor made a note in the job sheet that the engine oil and filter need to be changed. I asked him that shouldn't this be done every 6000 km. My bike had done less than 1400 km since the last oil change. He mumbled something and said ok well top it up.

4. I was waiting in the lounge the whole time. I saw my bike being taken for wash and then being taken to the delivery area. I did not see it being taken into the actual service area. All the bikes were being taken in and out from the service area from near the customer lounge.

As I was settling the bill I noticed that the amount I had to pay was 172 Rupees only. The only charge I saw on the bill was for consumables.

After I questioned them about the servicing they didn't know what to say. I pointed out that I never saw the bike being taken for service.

At this point, unfortunately they stopped understanding my Hindi. They could communicate only in Telugu and my knowledge of the language is limited to one phrase "Telugu radu" I.e I don't know Telugu. :)

I gave up, inspected the bike making sure the water wash didn't cause problems with the electricals and rode off.

The good part:

I only paid 172 rupees for the "service".

Fortunately I haven't had any mechanical problems with the bike till now - thanks to Bullet Baba. :)
Regular behavior at every RE service center u have been to. U just need to be friendly with someone, i made good rapport with the center head:mrgreen:.
Good that u did not change the oil but changr it at 2.5k kms from the last change.

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
RE service sure is legendary:twisted:-good that you got a taste of it so soon-it is your focused questions that made them forgot their hindi speaking on purpose:supz:

Reactions: IJS

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
if you are not satisfied with the service then shoot a mail to ASM, recently I found them very responsive and can address your issues.
Putting it here is not going to solve your issue.

Regards
Mandar
During my time with RE here in Delhi , ASM was never helpful he always avoid calls and never replied to mails. Only thing which came to my aid was my friendly relationship with svc head ,and the guy who use to work on my bike.
But now i also heard that asm has started responding to customers.

if you are not satisfied with the service then shoot a mail to ASM, recently I found them very responsive and can address your issues.
Putting it here is not going to solve your issue.

Regards
Mandar
To be honest I'm not really looking for any solution. I am just thankful they didn't mess the bike - I've read horror stories of how perfectly good bikes have been f**ked by uncaring and incompetent mechanics.

I did consider writing to the ASM but I don't want to go through the pain of writing back and forth and then going to the Center again only to have them do something with the bike.

While I was waiting for the bike to be serviced I overheard an owner asking the service centre guys to fix the damage they had done to his bike while servicing. :) I'm done with these guys.

I'll just go to the other RE service center near my house.

For other minor issues I hear David is a very competent mechanic. I'll just go to him.

The only reason I put my experience here is...well I don't know why I put my experience here. Perhaps to ensure it is "out there" and may help someone someday.

Happy Riding!

Reactions: IJS
Changed engine oil at 2800 km as the old oil looked almost black when checking from the small glass window.

Switched to Motul 3000 4T Plus 15W50 (the 2.5 ltr pack). Oil change (labour + oil filter) cost me 300 INR from David. Engine oil cost 855 INR (GearUp store Hyderabad).

Current odo reading is 3000 km. Observations:
1. Gear shifting feels smoother.
2. Finding neutral is easier than ever. Earlier, most of the times if the bike is not moving I had to push it back and forth to get the gear to neutral. Now, I just gently tap the gear lever and it slots into neutral like a "normal" bike :p
3. No perceptible change in noise or vibration. Maybe things will change after some time.

One other observation, unrelated to this change, is that the "thump" has changed over the last few weeks. Like someone increased the bass :D

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
Changed engine oil at 2800 km as the old oil looked almost black when checking from the small glass window.

Switched to Motul 3000 4T Plus 15W50 (the 2.5 ltr pack). Oil change (labour + oil filter) cost me 300 INR from David. Engine oil cost 855 INR (GearUp store Hyderabad).

Current odo reading is 3000 km. Observations:
1. Gear shifting feels smoother.
2. Finding neutral is easier than ever. Earlier, most of the times if the bike is not moving I had to push it back and forth to get the gear to neutral. Now, I just gently tap the gear lever and it slots into neutral like a "normal" bike :p
3. No perceptible change in noise or vibration. Maybe things will change after some time.

One other observation, unrelated to this change, is that the "thump" has changed over the last few weeks. Like someone increased the bass :D
The thump has increased co the glasswool inside the exhaust shirnks and burn with time thus creating more bass and letting the engine exhaled better.