Royal Enfield Bullet 500 (standard) ownership review

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
As the exhaust pipe and all insides of the silencer are filled with a layer of carbon,the tininess/treble of the silencer is reduced and the oh so pleasant bass is more evident

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
no glasswool in the stock exhaust sir.
Sir did u check personally by cutting it as when thr sound changed in my exhaust ,i was given this explanation by the re engineer (not the mechanic). Or it could be the baffles.

Mandar_C500

Sir did u check personally by cutting it as when thr sound changed in my exhaust ,i was given this explanation by the re engineer (not the mechanic). Or it could be the baffles.
Yes, I did. I have 2 stock exhausts cut open lying at my place, (Actually sold one to bhangarwala as I spoiled it).

Regards
Mandar

Reactions: IJS
Work pressures have kept me away from the forum for too long. Here's a brief update after 10500 KM.

1. Performance - the 500cc pot is as fun to ride as it was on day 1. Always brings a smile to my face.

Though I generally use a BMC air filter, I don't really see any impact on my performance whatsoever. Last week I had to wash it so I put in my spare RE original air filter and I really couldn't tell the difference. I run a stock exhaust and perhaps that is the reason. I guess the engine may be breathing "cleaner" air with the BMC - so it is probably good in the long term.

I'm using Motul's 5100 15W50. I wait for it to go on sale and then usually get it from Amazon for about Rs. 470 -480 per lt.

2. Mileage - In city I get about 32 - 34 KM/L when driving in a sane manner. Went on a solo trip to Nagarjun Sagar & Srisailam and was able to extract about 40 KM/L driving at an average speed of 60 KM/H on highways.

3. Quality - This is where things start going down hill. The quality of some of the parts seems to be really cheap and designed to fail after some time.

- Many rubber hoses have just cracked and failed - all within 1.5 years of ownership of a bike that is always parked in a covered area.
- The frame that holds the RHS (black rectangular) cover broke off on its own. The bike was not involved in any accidents nor are there any signs of vandalism. Got it welded for 20 rupees.

4. Maintenance/Servicing - I have one word for RE's authorized service centers - FUBAR. The 2 issues I listed above were missed by the RE service technicians while they were conducting a routine maintenance.

Fortunately, I've found a good Royal Enfield mechanic near my house in Secunderabad. I now go to him for all my bike related issues. If anyone in Secunderabad wants to visit him please put these coordinates in Google maps and you should see the approximate location. 17.470873, 78.506389

Oh and a friendly warning, DO NOT under any circumstances go in for chain lube at REs service center. The RE branded lube they use is horrible and splashes all over the rear wheel and various other parts. It is difficult to remove as well.

If you're a DIY guy use kerosene to clean the chain and 120 grade gear oil for lube. Instead of the gear oil you can also use a grease spray (designed for chain lubrication) or use the Motul lube. Be sure to wipe off the excess lube.

5. Modifications - Only some basic mods done - a pair of projector fog lamps added, a switch to help turn on all 4 indicators (Hazard light) added and the BMC air filter.

Have a few mods planned (single seat, some handlebar mods to reduce vibrations).

6. Overall ownership experience - Despite the quality issues I still enjoy riding my Bullet 500. In fact, I ride it to office everyday.

One of the benefits of owning a non-ECU bike is that you're not entirely dependent on the company for your service & repair - thank god for the lazy bums at RE who didn't move to BSIV earlier! :D

One serious issue I've noticed twice during the last few months when riding in rain is that the front disk brakes become useless even in light rain. Twice, in the last 2 months, when going back home from office I encountered some rain. As I rode, I immediately noticed that the front brakes didn't seem to work - I'm not exaggerating. They work fine when riding in dry weather.

Not sure what the problem could be. Planning on bleeding the breaks & checking the disk pads for wear this weekend.

If anyone has faced the same issue, please let me know if you've managed to fixed this.

Mandar_C500

Hi,
I have faced similar problem on my classic, Try applying front brake multiple times in quick succession (Like Manual ABS) it works for me.

Regards
Mandar

Hi,
I have faced similar problem on my classic, Try applying front brake multiple times in quick succession (Like Manual ABS) it works for me.

Regards
Mandar
You're right. That does help to some extent.

But the brakes lose their bite again if it continues to rain :-(

On the positive side, when this happens I start driving slowly like an old lady so very little chance of any untoward incident

Hi
Really nice post with your ownership experience. Thanks for sharing it. I’m planning to replace my Himalayan with Bullet 500 EFI ABS or Interceptor!! My heart tells me Bullet but my mind tells Interceptor, for various issues users have posted about bullet. I did really got frustrated with Himalayan issues and RE workshop experience. By buying bullet 500 I don’t want to be in the same workshop every weekend on fixing issues and not enjoying as my heart feels. Please suggest.