Royal Enfield Himalayan - Ownership experience

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
Today,to alleviate the buffeting and wind noise caused at helmet level from the bike's windshield,cut short the windshield of my "Safeena" by 130mm from the top-had it cut with a hand hacksaw blade and then removed the burr and corners with a polishing file.Now the helmet should be in quiet air and no windshake.

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: IJS

smoothwanderer

gourav won't the wind blast hit your chest if you cut the windshield this low ? it would be a disadvantage when riding in the himalayas.

Gaurav Chopra

gourav won't the wind blast hit your chest if you cut the windshield this low ? it would be a disadvantage when riding in the himalayas.
Bhaaji ,Himalayas maybe twice a year-but office in hot weather everyday:)-and believe me,the windnoise at 90kmph inside the helmet has reduced by 50% and the airflow does not try to buffet the helmet anymore-the head is a serene place now.Now the windshield only covers the ungainly looking electricals.

Gaurav Chopra

In the super hot conditions prevailing here,my "Safeena" was knocking in 2nd gear with the temperature on the speedo display showing 51C while on open roads and 54C when in bumper to bumper traffic- was worried of the condition of the OE SS engine and it's ability to withstand such hot abuse -so today morning changed to fully synthetic 10W50 engine oil at the A.S.C -Oil used is Total brand as per info provided by @IJS as there was no marking on the barrel from which the oil was taken.It is the same oil as used in 650cc RE models. .The oil filter was also changed.Total cost rs1225.

Last edited:

smoothwanderer

i had read that fully synthetic oil Motul 300v isn't ideal for himalayan. the exact words of the post-
Do not use Motul 300V. This engine oil isn't meant to handle the heat and stress that the Himalayan throws at it. Motul 300V is purely an overkill for our types of engine and the load its subject to. It doesn't last long, it's a one time, race it, drain it type oil. The oil is extremely thin and once it heats up, it becomes to almost watery consistency which would mean, harsher engine, engine ticking away to glory and rough shifts. Switch back to Motul 5100 or 7100 both are extremely good oils. My personal preference after using and recommend you to use 5100 and/or Shell Advance AX7 15w50. The engine will get coarser once its up to its operating temperature with 300V.
CONFUSED:confused::confused:...... thinking of changing to semi synthetic oil....

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
i had read that fully synthetic oil Motul 300v isn't ideal for himalayan. the exact words of the post-
Do not use Motul 300V. This engine oil isn't meant to handle the heat and stress that the Himalayan throws at it. Motul 300V is purely an overkill for our types of engine and the load its subject to. It doesn't last long, it's a one time, race it, drain it type oil. The oil is extremely thin and once it heats up, it becomes to almost watery consistency which would mean, harsher engine, engine ticking away to glory and rough shifts. Switch back to Motul 5100 or 7100 both are extremely good oils. My personal preference after using and recommend you to use 5100 and/or Shell Advance AX7 15w50. The engine will get coarser once its up to its operating temperature with 300V.
CONFUSED:confused::confused:...... thinking of changing to semi synthetic oil....
300v is infact overkill and is made for track kind of use. 7100 and 5100 are better for regular use as u mentioned.
And i personally think motul is a overhyped brand in India other brands are equally good but lacks marketing. Motul sells as it sounds and feels more exotic.
The Total 10w50 fs is used by bajaj and now re is using same , which is what Gaurav Bhai had fill in his bike. I personally had a very good time with this oil in my Dominar and now no Issues in my Int650.

Castrol has always been my goto oil for after market and i would any day pick Castrol power1 racing 10w50 over same grade motul.
Brands like Total , castrol , amisol, liqy moli all are no lesser than motul.

And on 300v , filling it on a regular Motorcycle is clearly an overkill but new breed of riders are more inclined towards the fad of such things.

Sent from my RMX1851 using Tapatalk

Gaurav Chopra

Bhaaji used Total 10w50 fully synthetic-the same oil that goes into the RE650 range-and to avoid duplicacy fears-got it done at the RE workshop-though they were not allowing any customer inside the workshop floor/workshop lounge due to COVID 19 restrictions -just got to check the oil drum from which the oil was to be taken -the oil looks totally different than the regular Semi Synthetic 15w50 Liquid Gun oil that is normally used in the Himalayan- and the oil that i checked in the drum is exactly the oil i see in my Safeena's oil check window

IJS

The Ghost Who Walks
Bhaaji used Total 10w50 fully synthetic-the same oil that goes into the RE650 range-and to avoid duplicacy fears-got it done at the RE workshop-though they were not allowing any customer inside the workshop floor/workshop lounge due to COVID 19 restrictions -just got to check the oil drum from which the oil was to be taken -the oil looks totally different than the regular Semi Synthetic 15w50 Liquid Gun oil that is normally used in the Himalayan- and the oil that i checked in the drum is exactly the oil i see in my Safeena's oil check window
10w50 comes in smaller drums here i have seem smaller plastic barrels. Back label the details were mentioned in small letters.

Sent from my RMX1851 using Tapatalk