Royal Enfield Himalayan - Ownership experience

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
Re-greasing of the handlebar T-stem bearings done again due to the hard steering effort required -second time at 8600kms-first was at around 4200kms-the bearings were dry and the surface polish of both the bearing rollers and bearing race has started to pit- will change them at
the 10000km mark along with fork oil change .

Also notice the extremely thin side walls of the bearing housing -this when the frame is loaded ,is a possible candidate for flex-i still cannot fathom the reason of the bearings going bad so soon.
Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: IJS

Mandar_C500

I have ordered the Powerage exhaust for Himalayan today. I have heard some good reviews about the sound. Not sure about the performance.
Let's see how it goes.

Regarding the coneset bearings, watch the video of HDT customs. He has suggested some aftermarket bearing. may be you can give it a try.
Check out this video

Or try this out
Regards
Mandar

Last edited:

Gaurav Chopra

@Mandar_C500 ,saw both videos -no mention of the reason of the bearing going bust except water/moisture ingress- just the remedy-replacement with OE or aftermarket bearings.
And no way are NTN bearings as good as SKF -provided the SKF is an original -rampant duplicacy here in Punjab.
In the HDT video ,the guy has said that the bearing seat has gone bad because of frequent replacement.
My bike has no water ingress issues,it is some other reason that the bearing is not working properly -one of them can be poor design- but have heard the chassis has been designed by Harris Engineering of UK and they have been a force to reckon with in the aftermarket chassis market for superbikes and off road bikes.So the search for the reason continues

Mandar_C500

@Mandar_C500 ,saw both videos -no mention of the reason of the bearing going bust except water/moisture ingress- just the remedy-replacement with OE or aftermarket bearings.
And no way are NTN bearings as good as SKF -provided the SKF is an original -rampant duplicacy here in Punjab.
In the HDT video ,the guy has said that the bearing seat has gone bad because of frequent replacement.
My bike has no water ingress issues,it is some other reason that the bearing is not working properly -one of them can be poor design- but have heard the chassis has been designed by Harris Engineering of UK and they have been a force to reckon with in the aftermarket chassis market for superbikes and off road bikes.So the search for the reason continues

I guess the reason is water / moister itself hence here in pune, lots of owners has added the plastic cap (including mine) and the issue is resolved to a larger extend. I am not sure when last bearing was changed and the cap is inserted as it was done by the previous owner only.

Regarding, using the aftermarket bearing. If the OEM bearing is not working then why not give a to a aftermarket bearing.
Regards
Mandar

smoothwanderer

NTN 30205 bearing of the coneset nit available in my place so NBC bearing installed. My friend says that it's the same one used in spark rear axle bearing. The gear shifting from 1 to 2 was difficult after the engine becomes hot. The mechanic has suggested changing the gear shaft assembly. The rear shocker was checked as per my direction and the roller bearings were broken, planning to replace them.But the irony is that these parts aren't available nearby will have to procure it from taliparamba or kannur.
20210128_220906.jpg
20210128_220918.jpg
20210128_220923.jpg

Gaurav Chopra

Plan to lubricate the rear linkage and parts along with the coneset change and fork oil change at the 10000km mark-bike at 8650kms currently

Gaurav Chopra

Last night ,while parking my bike at home at night,my pet dog came jumping to greet me and i somehow left the key on-today morning,battery would not turn over the engine though the meters were working-so good old dhaka start :-D -ran out of breath by the second try-thank goodness,Safeena fired up and is fine now.

Reactions: IJS

smoothwanderer

Got my boy back home after a long stay at my local workshop. Work done
1) changed the oil of the front forks
2)changed the gear shifter shaft as the gear wasn't slotting smoothly
3) the monoshock was removed and the linkages to the swing arm changed.
One hugged that my mechanic did was the gear shifter lever was changed to that of the pulsar180 ,which is longer and hence more leverage when changing gears.the drawback being the lever is so long that I have to use the tip of my foot while changing gears

Attachments