Royal Enfield Himalayan - Ownership experience

smoothwanderer

Today rode to Ranipuram in kasaragode district, a good 75kms from.my home with wife and my student on an RE interceptor. Had an issue with the rear brake. On my return leg had a very steep descent for about 3-4 kms when I had applied both brakes. After some time the rear brake went kaput. Broughtb the bike to the valley by engine braking and front brake. Luckily for me a 2 wheeler workshop was open. The mechanic there told me that this was an issue with Himalayan and some other bike. It was air getting into the rear brake lines. He let out the air and it was normal. So guys beware if you ride down a steep gradient for long

Attachments

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
@smoothwanderer you were lucky that the brake faded due to air ingress - I personally know of a fellow whose Himalayan rear brake locked up solid on a long steep decline and he had to wait for 1.5hours for the brake to cool down n disengage -so I guess you had the lesser of the two evils

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk

Gaurav Chopra

Today had to go and leave my younger son to his school - the way has a lot of retiling roadwork in progress-on the return journey,at a turn the front plowed through sand and i had to dab the ground to prevent falling -and man the combined weight of 290kg + speed ,sent a sharp jab of pain up my leg - i shudder at the thought of someone at speed on litre class ADV bikes doing the same and the consequences - they better have concrete pillars as legs:p

Reactions: IJS

smoothwanderer

Mounted it

Attachments

Gaurav Chopra

This looks sexy and ready for some serious off road plugging - do also inform of its on road behaviour and braking capabilities

Sent from my POCO F1 using Tapatalk