Royal Enfield Himalayan - Ownership experience

Mandar_C500

Fellow Himalayan users -
How long do you ride between oil change intervals?
I use the OE fully synthetic 10W50 oil in my bike(same oil as the Interceptor) and right at the 2800-3000 km mark ,the engine starts to feel coarse and starts to make a ghach-ghach noise -which goes away with new oil. On the recommended Semi synthetic 15W50 oil,this used to happen at the 1700-1800km mark .My bike is at 3200km after the previous oil change at 14200km mark -how on earth RE recommends 10000km oil change interval?
Your personal experiences requested.
I think semi-synthetic oil is fine for 5K km, at least I use to change it after 5K KM in my classic 500. which is not oil cooled. I think Oil-cooler will help to keep the oil temp in check.
I will follow the same interval for Himalayan.

Regards
Mandar

Mandar_C500

I have face an issue with the seat while doing long distance riding. The stock seat is fine for 200-300 km in a day however it hurts really bad for more than that. I am planning to switch to touring seat. if Anybody using the touring seat for himalayan, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Mandar

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
I have face an issue with the seat while doing long distance riding. The stock seat is fine for 200-300 km in a day however it hurts really bad for more than that. I am planning to switch to touring seat. if Anybody using the touring seat for himalayan, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Mandar
I bought the front touring seat - only slightly better -not worth the money-i am now planning to now install the standard seat cushion OVER the touring seat to give some relief to my backside .Currently using my standard seat to which i have added 2" knit nylon sheet

Mandar_C500

I bought the front touring seat - only slightly better -not worth the money-i am now planning to now install the standard seat cushion OVER the touring seat to give some relief to my backside .Currently using my standard seat to which i have added 2" knit nylon sheet
Thanks for the review. I don't want to increase the seat height, hence I have no option to add foam / nylon sheet to the seat.
The I need to remove the existing foam and add the new stiffer foam.

Regards
Mandar

Gaurav Chopra

Thanks for the review. I don't want to increase the seat height, hence I have no option to add foam / nylon sheet to the seat.
The I need to remove the existing foam and add the new stiffer foam.

Regards
Mandar
Do let me know more about the stiffer foam you choose.

Gaurav Chopra

I think semi-synthetic oil is fine for 5K km, at least I use to change it after 5K KM in my classic 500. which is not oil cooled. I think Oil-cooler will help to keep the oil temp in check.
I will follow the same interval for Himalayan.

Regards
Mandar
I am waiting for 3500kms to be up and will change the oil- this time the OE 10w50 FS from the ASC - by next time the bike will be out of the 2yr warranty window and will start experimenting with Motul/Shell -but will stick to Full Synthetic due to my high rev operating style.

Mandar_C500

has anybody upgraded the headlight on their himalayan? I am facing an issue with the headlight, it is pointing correctly however illumination is too low.

Gaurav Chopra

has anybody upgraded the headlight on their himalayan? I am facing an issue with the headlight, it is pointing correctly however illumination is too low.
Have installed a 100/90W headlight bulb - adequate upto 75-80kmph riding at night.

Gaurav Chopra

The 5th routine service of the bike has been done - also got the whole rear end including the swingarm,shock and links disassembled ,re-lubricated and refitted.Rest all the routine oil change,air filter clean ,chain clean stuff.
Bill Rs2715(due to the FS 10W-50 oil).
The bike crossed 18000kms today - all systems reporting to work by God's Grace.
IMG_20220207_115717.jpg

Mandar_C500

On the lazy Sunday afternoon, I have changed the engine oil of my bike at 3K km. I have used Motul semi-synthetic 5100.
Oil changing is too easy DIY than Classic 500, drain plug is more accessible and you don't need to tilt the bike to take out last drop of the oil.
Engine feels happy.