Royal Enfield Himalayan - Ownership experience

Mandar_C500

Fellow Himalayan users -
How long do you ride between oil change intervals?
I use the OE fully synthetic 10W50 oil in my bike(same oil as the Interceptor) and right at the 2800-3000 km mark ,the engine starts to feel coarse and starts to make a ghach-ghach noise -which goes away with new oil. On the recommended Semi synthetic 15W50 oil,this used to happen at the 1700-1800km mark .My bike is at 3200km after the previous oil change at 14200km mark -how on earth RE recommends 10000km oil change interval?
Your personal experiences requested.
I think semi-synthetic oil is fine for 5K km, at least I use to change it after 5K KM in my classic 500. which is not oil cooled. I think Oil-cooler will help to keep the oil temp in check.
I will follow the same interval for Himalayan.

Regards
Mandar

Mandar_C500

I have face an issue with the seat while doing long distance riding. The stock seat is fine for 200-300 km in a day however it hurts really bad for more than that. I am planning to switch to touring seat. if Anybody using the touring seat for himalayan, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Mandar

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
I have face an issue with the seat while doing long distance riding. The stock seat is fine for 200-300 km in a day however it hurts really bad for more than that. I am planning to switch to touring seat. if Anybody using the touring seat for himalayan, please let me know your opinion.

Thanks
Mandar
I bought the front touring seat - only slightly better -not worth the money-i am now planning to now install the standard seat cushion OVER the touring seat to give some relief to my backside .Currently using my standard seat to which i have added 2" knit nylon sheet

Mandar_C500

I bought the front touring seat - only slightly better -not worth the money-i am now planning to now install the standard seat cushion OVER the touring seat to give some relief to my backside .Currently using my standard seat to which i have added 2" knit nylon sheet
Thanks for the review. I don't want to increase the seat height, hence I have no option to add foam / nylon sheet to the seat.
The I need to remove the existing foam and add the new stiffer foam.

Regards
Mandar

Gaurav Chopra

Thanks for the review. I don't want to increase the seat height, hence I have no option to add foam / nylon sheet to the seat.
The I need to remove the existing foam and add the new stiffer foam.

Regards
Mandar
Do let me know more about the stiffer foam you choose.

Gaurav Chopra

I think semi-synthetic oil is fine for 5K km, at least I use to change it after 5K KM in my classic 500. which is not oil cooled. I think Oil-cooler will help to keep the oil temp in check.
I will follow the same interval for Himalayan.

Regards
Mandar
I am waiting for 3500kms to be up and will change the oil- this time the OE 10w50 FS from the ASC - by next time the bike will be out of the 2yr warranty window and will start experimenting with Motul/Shell -but will stick to Full Synthetic due to my high rev operating style.

Mandar_C500

has anybody upgraded the headlight on their himalayan? I am facing an issue with the headlight, it is pointing correctly however illumination is too low.

Gaurav Chopra

has anybody upgraded the headlight on their himalayan? I am facing an issue with the headlight, it is pointing correctly however illumination is too low.
Have installed a 100/90W headlight bulb - adequate upto 75-80kmph riding at night.