Royal Enfield Himalayan - Ownership experience

Gaurav Chopra

zestbiker-if there is a SPIRIT,I ride it
Safeena and myself fell down in deep waterlogged portion of a street on the way home from work last night - apart from a bent leg gaurd on Safeena, my bruised ego and a totally submerged office bag -madam Safeena manged to injest water into the engine and air filter- got to know of water in engine this morning during my morning check up and air filter dewatering - oil window was all hazy with soapy oil inside.Please note that despite the ordeal,madam Safeena started at a long press of the starter and brought me 10km home at night
Took her to the ASC- 5km from home- today morning where she had the oil drained ,a thorough rinse twice with first service change used oil and then fresh Liquid Gun 15W-50 semi- synthetic oil and new oil filter.
All systems reporting to work.
No photos as phone was safely tucked away in rainy weather last night and didn't stay at the ASC where work was performed today.
Kindly be aware that if the water is touching/above the level of the engine breather pipe,the vehicle will injest water through the breather pipe.
Have been riding since 1989-this is the first time something like this has happened -but as the saying goes-"There's always a first time."

Last edited:

Gaurav Chopra

Safeena has crossed the 23000km mark-all systems reporting to work -front ABS sensor wire chaffed by the front number plate- was replaced -bill Rs1060 for parts and labour.

Blackspark

Hi,
I need a little advice and help here!
My Himalayan tps sensor failed.

Long story short, the bike has done 25k kms. It got serviced at the RE ASC for only the first two free services. After that I have been taking care of it. And it was running fine without any issues or failure of parts all these days.

The guys at ASC said they checked everything and diagnosed it and the error in ecu points only to the throttle body. Also confirmed it was the faulty tps. Since the tps sensor doesn't come as a standalone part, the whole throttle body needs to be changed and it costs around 11000 rupees.

And since I haven't serviced the bike at RE SVC for the last 20k kms, I couldn't claim a warranty. It's very disappointing for me to not able to claim a warranty!

Is there any way I can push for a claim? Any advice from the forum members would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Gaurav Chopra

@Blackspark -do try independent RE part retailers - they may be able to procure you a standalone TPS -its a long shot but definitely worth the effort .
Also if you do get to claim the warranty through some push and pull ,do share the modus operandi;)

Blackspark

@Blackspark -do try independent RE part retailers - they may be able to procure you a standalone TPS -its a long shot but definitely worth the effort .
Also if you do get to claim the warranty through some push and pull ,do share the modus operandi;)
Thanks for the reply!
I tried with independent part retailers. One retailer told me he will check and get back to me. But not any response till now. Also the ASC manager told me that he checked within his circle and there is some used throttle body but he couldn't get a tps sensor alone from that source. And he asked that source to courier that TB. He said he will try to interchange that used TB with my bike and if the bike starts fine and if I am satisfied with the performance, I can go with that used TB. Though, he have not mentioned the price. But if the bike still doesn't perform well, I mean rough idling, then I have no option buy a new TB.

And regarding the warranty, the manager said if the tps probe position hasn't changed, he would have tried something to claim a warranty. But since I had adjusted the torx screw and fiddled with the sensor position, it was very difficult for him to push for warranty from his side. My bad luck! :(

I do trust the manager. He is kind, nice and knowledgeable person too. First let me see how the used TB performs. I think it will arrive in a couple of days. In the meantime, he also informed me that he already ordered a new TB too incase if I need one.

I will update the status on what happens! Thanks once again!

Blackspark

I am afraid, you may not get the warranty. Can you please let me know what is the issue. also, I have seen lots of people running fine after removing the TPS connections.
Hi, yes it seems like I can't claim warranty. Regarding the issue, for the last 1000kms the bike gave me some symptoms. First, rough idling. The needle was hunting a little bit at 1300. It's not extremely rough but mild so I didn't took it seriously and I thought I will look after that in the upcoming service which is within 1000kms.

Second, the bike stalled occasionally. I found a small pinch in the evap hose near radiator. So I thought it's due to that and ordered for a new hose.

Third, there was some occasional backfire. Every since i changed the exhaust manifold gasket, the backfire was very rare. But I was surprised to see it coming suddenly. And since it was not frequent, i didn't care.

Except these, the bike was running fine with no alarming symptoms. And one day, when I filled the tank and going back home, all of a sudden, the bike struggled in throttling. It wanted to go off but I managed to get it home since my home was few kms away.

In home, I somehow started to realise the culprit could be tps. I could not think of any other reasons because I have been maintaining my bike. I checked the connection of tps. It was fine. And I checked the voltage with multimeter. It was around 0.6 and it was fluctuating and so was the idling too. It doesn't stayed. I tried my luck with adjusting the torx screw but the voltage was fluctuating heavily. At one point, the bike failed to start no matter what.

And when I disconnected the tps sensor, the bike started again. But it was idling high. Somehow, I managed to get the bike to ASC with the tps sensor disconnected. The guys at ASC checked and confirmed that it was faulty tps sensor.

I want to mention you, though the bike started with the tps sensor disconnected, it goes off randomly. Sorry for the long post and thanks for your reply. Awaiting for your response!

Gaurav Chopra

The rear shocker lower bush had been almost rotten by the acidic rainwater here in my local industrial area - this led to significant freeplay in the swingarm/shocker interface which was made known to me by my staff guy whose responsibility it is to clean the bike in the evening- the standard part was unavailable at the ASC - they improvised a good quality Senior make rubber bush - grinded to length and made to fit- cost Rs560 for the parts and labour-no photos as had left the bike at ASC and moved to my office -all systems reporting to work - Odo now at 23450km

Last edited:

Mandar_C500

Super User
The rear shocker lower bush had been almost rotten by the acidic rainwater here in my local industrial area - this led to significant freeplay in the swingarm/shocker interface - the standard part was unavailable at the ASC - improvised a good quality Senior make rubber bush - grinded to length and made to fit- all systems reporting to work - Odo now at 23450km
I have read somewhere, RE don't sell suspension bushes separately. One has to buy the rear shocker.
FYI