Royal Enfield Machismo 500 under the microscope

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Royal Enfield Machismo 500 is the top of the line motorcycle from Royal Enfield’s stable in India and can be considered as one of the best locally manufactured bike suitable for touring in India.

This is a thread to discuss its plus and minus points from your personal perspective i.e. why you would like to buy this motorcycle and why you wouldn’t want to buy this motorcycle.

Here is a run down on its specifications:

Engine: 499cc Single Cylinder, 4 Stroke, OHV, SI Engine, Air Cooled
Maximum power: 17.64 KW @ 5600rpm
Maximum Torque: 40.85 Nm @ 3000rpm
Transmission: Five Speed
Ignition: TCI
Carburetor: BS 29
Ground Clearance: 140 mm
Width: 750 mm
Wheel Base: 1370 mm
Length: 2120 mm
Height: 1080 mm
Front tyre: 3.25x19 - 4/6 PR
Rear tyre: 3.5x19 - 4/6 PR
Head lamp: 12V, 45/40 W
Front brake: Hydraulic Disc brake 280 mm
Rear brake: Internal Expansion (Drum), 6"
Front suspension: Telescopic, Hydraulic damping
Rear suspension: Swing arm with adjustable Gas filled shock absorber
Price: Rs. ~1,04,000 on road Delhi

darkside_of_d_sun

Staff member
Re: Royal Enfield Machismo 500

Apart from that tempting low-end torque, nothing justifies that one lac plus price tag to me!

A more detailed diagonosis coming tomorrow :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shamik

akshay4384

THE LONE RIDER

Apart from that tempting low-end torque, nothing justifies that one lac plus price tag to me!

A more detailed diagonosis coming tomorrow :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Shamik

iv ridden it twice and have fell for that 4.1 kgm of torque it just pulls and pulls
zma's and 220's feel powerless

Last edited:

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator

What I like about Machismo AVL 500

Lots of torque: this is one aspect that 500LB manages to beat all other Indian motorcycles hands down. 40Nm of torque would surely come in handy while exploring steep Himalayan roads with loads of luggage.

Comfortable ergonomics
: bullets always have a comfortable seat and riding position is good as well.

Not a delicate motorcycle: frankly I hate motorcycles with fairings; they are good for highways if they offer real wind protection. But apart from that, they aren’t really good and when you fall (which every one does), things will break and you end up with a large bill.

Luggage can be easily mounted: this is another reason why I like the 500lb and all other bullets, the straight silencer and seat provide good space for mounting saddle bags and panniers.

Relatively quite: while quite a few people love bullets and their sound, I feel it’s really irritating on a long ride. Thankfully with the stock silencer this bullet is quite.

What I don’t like about Machismo AVL 500

Short range: 14.5 liter tank for a bike like this is which is targeted at tourers is just isn’t enough and add to that there is no fuel gauge and reserve is quite small as well. Royal Enfield ought to read Who needs a large reserve?

No battery, no start!: during my Spiti trip, my bike’s battery died out. Even though my bike is more used to electric start than kick, I could still start it and complete my trip. With majority of bullets (apart from CDI ones), this just wouldn’t be possible and this is what I don’t like.

It’s heavy!: I have gotten into a few situations while out touring solo when I had to push/pull/lift my bike and it was a tough task, especially with ~30kgs of luggage and ~15 liters of fuel and that too at an high altitude. Handling a heavy bike like this is surely going to be a tough task and it’s not like all the weight actually helps it in any way. I would seriously like to see Royal Enfield put its bikes on diet!

19” tyres: frankly I haven’t come across too many good touring tyres in India in 19” size; frankly I would like to see 18” tyres, well maybe a 19” upfront.

Too costly: 1lakh is quite an amount, especially when its nearest competitors (from other companies) are available for 20-40k less i.e. 20-40% less cost.

njoshi

Well i coudnt resist posting on this one, I think this kind of a discussion is more about personal choices, at some places rational dos'nt score high and Royal Enfield is one such thing.

- Ive had my share of problems with the 500, buleteers are known to be finacky about "SOUND" and i'm no different. The AVL dosent score too much in that respect, compared to other bullets.

- The 500 LB has excellent power, just a twitch in the throttle and you will know. If you love the mountains you will love this bike.

- The exhaust note is heavenly with a shorter silencer,

- Chrome..lots of it..and a raw style..again this is a personal choice but i am not a sportsbike fan, i rather own a tourer style bike. The chrome in this bike is a killer.

as Yogesh mentioned.. Luggage...caryy whatever whereever, The other bikes its a real pain to get a lot of luggage on and the bike becomes a little tipsy if you do that not so with the Enfield. There r'nt enuf places to pin the bungee chords in other bikes..so thats a plus

- Its Heavy ans stable...a gust of wind on the twisties will makes other bikes sway..not this one..frankly the weight gives it a lot of stability

- Modification/Customizations...lots of scope...you can do a lot here compared to the other bikes..personalize it basically.. (this stands true for all enfields)

-The tourque range is very evenly spread

Negatives
- its a finacky bike, needs attention, but i dunno whether thats a negative, it might be for some, but some of us love this aspect

Yogesh did you say noisy?..oh ..you can actually count each stroke at Idle..but if thats noise to you..i suggest dont go for it.

-Tyres..a big minus..my rear tyre shimmy's alot with a quick accelrator..it has lots of power needs more grip. but u can always get better ones

- Feul efficiancy,cost blah blah..frankly i dont care..its a 500..who cares about FE and cost..well once you own it and ride it, the looks the questions, all the ego boosters makes it all worth while

If you rationally try to figure it out you will never buy a 500 AVL..
Take a test ride..its easy to come by, try taking it for a longer spin if you can and you will know what i mean, its hard riding any other thing after this..
PS i dont mean other bikes are bad or something its too hard to explain..Just take a test ride on one.

the 500 AVL though is slightly different from other RE's, its not just about low end torque but its an aggressive engine and will do well with aggressive style of riding, personally i like it slow, but when ever u need to blow just twist and it wont leave you in the dirt.

Last edited:

sumeet

Thought I'd write a l'le review on the Machismo 500 and some of the features.
What has happened till now:
Total distance: ~ 12,000 km in 5 months.
Touring Stats: ~3800 (ladakh) + 900 (Ajmer/pushkar) + 1100
(Shimla/Narkanda - ridden by Biscuit-rtmc dude and Kam) ~~ 5,800 kms.
Fuel Economy: 28 - 32 kmpl for the entire duration. Irrespective of
the terrain, speed and rider. Has remained thereabout ever since she
rolled out of the showroom. Thats stable fuel economy I guess! ;)

Performance:
Definitely one up on every other bike I have ever ridden. The TB and
Electra are utterly underpowered when compared to the AVL 500. Havent
ridden the CI 500 or the Lightening 535 to comment on the comparative
feel. The first time I rode Kam's TB after the AVL, I was dying for
the power.
The throttle is responsive, though there is a very very short delay.
The accelatation off a dead start is amazing. The first gear is
shorter than what the ideal could have been (but thats just me, i
guess). The sudden burst of torque sends u back with a jerk if you try
to get off the mark too quickly. Same is the case while shiting to a
higher gear. Shift to 3 from 2, and try getting off it fast, and there
would be a strong jerk.

The capacity to ride with a loaded backend is smashingly amazing.
Travelled to Ladakh; 170 kilos of bike+90 kilos of me+another 40 odd
kilos of me making a combined weight of close to 325 kilos. I climbled
the curves on Gata Loops and Tanglang La with butter smooth ease in 2
and 3 gear. Never had to switch to 1 gear to get that additional bit
of power. The Avenger with me was growling for more power on those
steep climbs.

Havent revved her to the limit in 5 gear to check on the top end, but
have seen the odo climbing >130 in the upright seating posture. This
was on the clean stretch on the Jaipur Byepass between Chandwaji and
Gopalpura. While riding side by side with a fully stretched TB, only a
mini twist of the wrist sent me off, increasing the gap very very
quickly. Kam was on one such TB. Definitely has the legs and i'm
pretty sure with a carb and filter mod, the top end could go up to
>140. Would like to run it along with a CI500 and a Lightening 535,
and of course, the new gen plastics (220s, ZMAs).
Build Quality:
Nothing much to write home about in that. Only a different engine on
the original Machismo frame. Pretty much the same.
Glitches:
The quality self starter on the machine is the biggest disappointment.
Have had the spark clutch replaced twice, the entire clutch cover
assembly once, but i'm still scared. Donno why, but everytime I ride
the bike, I'm always scared of the self blowing up again. Numerous
visits to the service station for this particular problem. A pick up
truck haul @ pathankot was the worst nightmare. But then, they say the
Self Starts are not for Bullets. They need a kick to run. Following
that religiously now. Otherwise everything else seems to be good and
up to the mark.
Recommend??:
Oh yes! I would recommend it everyone, to have that *power* feeling.
It will blow u away, trust me. Only advice would be to use the self
start as sparingly as possible. You never know when it'll blow! But
then, there is no perfect Bullet, is there?

hitanshu

Master of the OT Universe
Actually, this whole thread is pointless.

The 500 is about the torque really. Plus its a bullet.

So either you love it or you don't. The rational median does not exist - not beyond two minutes of discussion :)

Akshay has summed it up well! after all, its a bullet - dil da maamla hai! :)

So either you love it or you don't. The rational median does not exist - not beyond two minutes of discussion :)

is this bullet 500 still on sale ?? I heard only 500 of them were going to be manufactured for sale in india and you need to place order ...so they can make one ??

Yogesh Sarkar

Administrator
Yogesh did you say noisy?..oh ..you can actually count each stroke at Idle..but if thats noise to you..i suggest dont go for it.
Actually I said I like the fact that it is relatively silent! Engine noise is ok especially at idling, what I don’t like is loud exhaust noise.

It is a motorcycle and I believe it is one motorcycle that almost every motorcycle tourer in this forum has considered at some point of time. In any case we are just talking about a motorcycle, while some feel they have to go or not go for it just because it’s a bullet, I feel it is better to look at it from a touring motorcycle perspective and only then decide.

is this bullet 500 still on sale ?? I heard only 500 of them were going to be manufactured for sale in india and you need to place order ...so they can make one ??
I heard that it is pretty easy to get these days, I guess Royal Enfield has repositioned it as the permanent replacement to the standard 500.

Sumeet nice review there, I have copied it to the motorcycle review section as well :)

naveenoronha

So nobody has said anything about the engine noise? What about the cam wheels and rockers, justl like the older 500cc and the other newer models or is there an imporvement.