Royal Enfield Machismo 500 under the microscope

dwaraka

Machismo 500 is an all aluminium engine and the noice will be clanky than thumping of regular bullet. If you love thump of bullets, you will consider Cast Iron engine.

Otherwise, Mach 500 is a smooth rider, more powerful and long distance travel is cake walk with out breaks. Mileage is definitely 50 - 60 % better than CI 500.

me and Badri of a bangalore bullet club travelled from bangalore to pune and back on CI 500 and Mach 500. CI gave an average of 23 kms on highway and MAch 500 gave an average of 35 kms. The speed was between 90-100 consistently. Max speed attained by CI was 125 kmph , compared to Mach 500 of 135 kmph.

CI engine gave out some leak of engine oil from blocks, where as MAch 500 was flawless with no leaks at all.

Definitely Mach 500 is a good transition in technology and performance over CI 500. But pricing is way too high, with present cost of Rs. 1.15 lakhs. This is not justifiable.

Dwarak

naveenoronha

Hi Dwarka,

I have a std 350 86 model. Smooth engine, relatively low engine noise, no starting problems. For me its just the pickup issue, this doesnt really do anything big especially riding with a pillion. Have not had any problem with this though on any ride.

Reading through this thread its clear that there are still lots of problems with the 500AVL and am just wondering if this is a one off case or what?

Looking to pickup a 500 either CI or AVL still not sure.

Where do you guys ( bullet club) meet up?

navnit

Bringing back the Old Topic To Life :

The New Mach 500 (the 2009 Editions) have a remapped TCI and the Sprang Clutch Bearing have been re-designed as per the information i got from Royal Enfield Showroom Nerul ..

Done almost 22K in the last 4 months with no issues of starter failures or any other nagging issues the 500's had....

The Engine Clatter is lot more than the usual Cast Iron Engines..

PRODiGY

cast iron 500 is a league of it's own.. cannot compare the original classic with this aluminium copy. they say it's sooo much faster than a CI 500 but then who buys bullet for top end and acceleration figures !

Siddhartha

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying a Bullet. The choices I am looking at are Bullet Electra and Machismo 500. I had a test ride of mach 500 and i was really impressed by the pick-up and torque of the beast. But then I bumped into a thread about "SPRAG CLUTCH" problem with M500, on this forum. Though this thread is more than a year old I want to know if this problem is still occuring with M500s? Somebody has already mentioned that the Sprag Clutch Bearing has been re-designed in 2009Edition to fix the problem.

I would really appreciate if anyone can provide latest updated on this.

Thanks,
Siddhartha

Siddharth,

You may want to wait for the UCE 500 to come. It will be much faster and reliable that the CI or the mach 500. on the other hand the mach 500 itself is a wonderful machine. Though this may be your last chance to buy the CI as they may be pulled off any time now.

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying a Bullet. The choices I am looking at are Bullet Electra and Machismo 500. I had a test ride of mach 500 and i was really impressed by the pick-up and torque of the beast. But then I bumped into a thread about "SPRAG CLUTCH" problem with M500, on this forum. Though this thread is more than a year old I want to know if this problem is still occuring with M500s? Somebody has already mentioned that the Sprag Clutch Bearing has been re-designed in 2009Edition to fix the problem.

Thanks,
Siddhartha

ThrottleKing

Hi Guys,

Thanks,
Siddhartha
I had the same problem where the Sprag Clutch went for a toss leaving the bike to be kick started every time ( which I do most of the times). Luckily, the bike was under guarantee period and got a free replacement from the service center. I also heard, the problem is very common among most of the RE's with the electric start. But, leaving that apart, not even a single problem till now and the bull just rocks. Have done around 14k in 7 months with some short rides. No problems at all. BTW, I have a Mach 350.

kingkortobbo

Wanderlust
This thread might have been quiet old, but need some queries to be answered. The new 500 Classic has recently been launched. Has the old problem with bike been resolved. Its been long since i had driven bike. The mountain trips on bikes is really making me think again to shift from the 4leg to a 2leg one. With the amount of travel i do on the hills unnecessarily under the hood, is creating a thread in my head to go back to the 2legged monsters, they are more thrilling. Guys let me know your expert opinions about the new 500 classic. Would love to hear from some DBR members..