Royal Enfield Machismo 500 under the microscope

komodo

Abeer Aulakh
Abeer - not sure about the history but finding a Mach 500 for second hand is going to be difficult if not impossible. If you want to get one, I'd suggest getting something post 2005/7 models as these are the most refined ones with all the issues been sorted out.

If possible, go for the 500LB, but good luck finding one.
Thanks man!! I've got a lot of searching to do!

madhkris

Jeeper
Guys I purchased a Machismo 500 LB in March this year and the Brand store guys said that it might be the last model to be going out of their stables. I have completed just 2500km but have not faced a single problem in the machine.

Attachments

deejay

no longer active
Congrats Madhu! 5 months and only 2500KMs? You need to take the bike out more often man. Enjoy the open roads.

Buzz me if you want to go for that breakfast ride again.

madhkris

Jeeper
Sure DJ. Anytime! I had been a bit busy with work. we will meet up soon. I also saw you guys planning to meet up in the G2G thread. Am game too.

rugsy

Hi Guyz, I just joined this forum today. And boy its really good to see LB500 Owners here. I bought my Lb500 in April 09. She is solid as a ROCK! touchwood! Could you guyz enlighten on your machine's top end. The maximum that I could do was a 128 Km/hr on the NICE road in Bangalore. Although I have heard Lb500's doing a 130+, personally I have ridden the brandstore's 500, when it was with them, I personally managed to do a 135 Km/hr easily. Will update on my small mods in my next post.

deejay

no longer active
Hey Rugsy, welcome to the 500LB club. Now we have one more to keep this thread alive :)

I've done 135 ish per my odo on my ride to Puttaparthi, but cruising speeds are between 90/120.

Also, I loved your oil cooled mod. Please post more pics and your experience with the mod. I'm thinking of going for one myself. Please pass on the details on procuring one.

rugsy

Hi Deejay. Apologies for replying this late. I hardly get time these days to ride and as well as post. I have installed an Oil cooler which cools the engine oil naturally (Air). The installation is sort of bolt on and you can replace it to an original setup very easily. The oil cooler system is pretty similar to the one that we have seen on a pulsar 200/220. Although the radiator size etc are different to better suit for my bike. After installation i did remove the head covers to check the flow of engine oil. At idle itself the flow was pretty adequate. Its been almost 10 months since I have installed it, there are a few changes that I have seen. The most significant is the oil change intervals, previously I used to change the oil in 2500-3000 kms now with the oil cooler that oil change interval has gone up to 3500kms because the oil is shaping up better and the viscosity and the oil colour need change only at 3500 Kms. But still I am changing it in 3000Kms. Another thing that I noticed is the temperature...on open highway stretches the heat has reduced quite a bit...I can show you how....if we get time to meet someday....but the oil cooler is effective only in open stretches of roads and speed above 60kmph. In city traffic this oil cooler does not work. Hope this helps.

paramsingh

Hi I have a Machismo 500CC -2007 model.Done barely 5,000 kms so far, as I lived over seas till like 2010.I am about to embark on a trip to Leh from Delhi and guess what my starter has given up on me and the mechanic advised me to remove it otherwise it will cause problems in leh.Can anyone suggest if I should get a new starter or just ride using the kick mode.I like to have a abckup and in case the kick doesn't work or gets jammed started was a nice option.But Now the mecahnic has got me confused and have been reading a lot of threads on starter problem son the 500 machismo.Guys please help and enlighten me...
thank you all

madhkris

Jeeper
Hi I have a Machismo 500CC -2007 model.Done barely 5,000 kms so far, as I lived over seas till like 2010.I am about to embark on a trip to Leh from Delhi and guess what my starter has given up on me and the mechanic advised me to remove it otherwise it will cause problems in leh.Can anyone suggest if I should get a new starter or just ride using the kick mode.I like to have a abckup and in case the kick doesn't work or gets jammed started was a nice option.But Now the mecahnic has got me confused and have been reading a lot of threads on starter problem son the 500 machismo.Guys please help and enlighten me...
thank you all
ParamSingh,
I have been using my Mach 500 since 1.5 yrs and have never faced any ES problems. If you have not already embarked on your Journey I feel that its better to have an ES too. There are numerrous mechanics at Manali and evven in Leh. I dont know if they can correct an ES problem. However, even without ES, the journey is possible. All the best.