Royal Enfield Thunderbird 2015 - Ownership Thread

Atulesh Kumar

UI-UX expert who loves to ride
Crash Guard:
Have been told by many to get a crash guard installed for safety of bike and myself. Options are many but Black is preferred to suit the look and one that is subtle. Personally dont like chrome type huge looking Madras style/Air fly, or single bar style. So made a visit to the service centre and shared my requirement. Fortunately they had one called "Butterfly" type, black in colour, powder coated, an OEM product. Cost is Rs 1651. Got it installed. Below is the pic.

IMG_2729.jpg

Hand Gloves:

Since the bike purchase all started from the Royal Enfield's website, I knew the types of gloves that the company has been offering. Was particularly interested in the Summer style glove. Visited their the showroom, but they didn't had one. On the company's website too, it was Out of stock. Luckily I found it available at a newly opened showroom at Phoenix Mall. Got it for Rs 1999. Choice colour was brown. Its short, looks classy, hand grip is good. Original leather. Don't expect too much safety from it.

Update: Looks like company has discontinued the particular glove

IMG_2734.jpg

IMG_2735.jpg

IMG_2736.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_2739.jpg

IMG_2740.jpg

Atulesh Kumar

Bike is behaving fine. So far liking a lot. I am getting used to of the heavy weight. Engine feels powerful. Although its not rev happy engine. Below are few mixed review points:
  1. Vibration creeps in third gear, transfers to the handle.
  2. Engine doesn't like revving like Pulsars.
  3. Engine heats up in summer. Thighs would get good amount of heat. Good in winters.
  4. Dont expect a royal enfield to be a racing machine. Treat it like an elephant, it will treat you like a king.
  5. Quality compromises on certain areas like filmsy turn indicator switch, uncovered cables, low quality ignition key.
  6. Disk brakes are good, but rear wheel locking is evident in panic braking.
  7. Filmsy turn indicators. Its prone to get damaged at a small hit.
  8. Mirrors has okay-ish viewing broadness. Lots of vibration too. I would have preferred a heavy one.
  9. Projector headlight works great. Its strong and has good width. But the dipper mode has a sharp throw which is an issue. On a dimly lit or dark road pedestrians, parked vehicles etc would not get visible from a distance. Things suddenly appears and results panic braking. I avoid driving in dipper in such situation.
  10. OEM MRF Zapper tyres works fine. Doesnt skid much like Pulsars due to the sheer heavy weight and good grip. Rear tyre pattern is same old angular ones. Didnt had a single puncture in an year of usage.
  11. Black engine, chrome touches here and a shiny paint job, makes it look distinct. Eye catcher for sure.
  12. Seats are the USP. Great cushioning. Rear passengers are the happiest. Definitely a tourer bike.
In next posts I will share service details and further experiences log. For now enjoy few videos and photos.

Some more photos

IMG_2727.jpg
IMG_2728.jpg
IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg
IMG_2062.jpg
IMG_2198.jpg
IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2206.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6795.jpg

IMG_6796.jpg

incarnation

Super User
nice write up straight from the heart, liked the pics as well as the story, Nice choice of helmet.

one thing i would like to say is why not a proper riding jacket and a proper safety gloves. there are 50% disocunt sale going on for RE jackets, i mean it was going on in march not sure now. i purchased a pair of long protective boots from RE during this period.

Atulesh Kumar

@Atulesh Kumar,Have you completed your running in?If yes,have you tried a top speed run ???
Yes. Infact all of my free services have completed. Have driven 1970kms so far. I tried once but after 110kmph, i backed off due to vibration and wind play. I am more of a relaxed type than a pacer. And since this bike is meant for cruising and my requirement was the same, i dont prefer to pace.

Atulesh Kumar

nice write up straight from the heart, liked the pics as well as the story, Nice choice of helmet.

one thing i would like to say is why not a proper riding jacket and a proper safety gloves. there are 50% disocunt sale going on for RE jackets, i mean it was going on in march not sure now. i purchased a pair of long protective boots from RE during this period.
Thanks.

I often think of buying a full gear. But till date didnt get a reason to buy one. Because i dont ride it often and my current life is not allowing me to go for a long ride. But it's definitely in my list.

sudipto

Bike is behaving fine. So far liking a lot. I am getting used to of the heavy weight. Engine feels powerful. Although its not rev happy engine. Below are few mixed review points:
  1. Vibration creeps in third gear, transfers to the handle.
  2. Engine doesn't like revving like Pulsars.
  3. Engine heats up in summer. Thighs would get good amount of heat. Good in winters.
  4. Dont expect a royal enfield to be a racing machine. Treat it like an elephant, it will treat you like a king.
  5. Quality compromises on certain areas like filmsy turn indicator switch, uncovered cables, low quality ignition key.
  6. Disk brakes are good, but rear wheel locking is evident in panic braking.
  7. Filmsy turn indicators. Its prone to get damaged at a small hit.
  8. Mirrors has okay-ish viewing broadness. Lots of vibration too. I would have preferred a heavy one.
  9. Projector headlight works great. Its strong and has good width. But the dipper mode has a sharp throw which is an issue. On a dimly lit or dark road pedestrians, parked vehicles etc would not get visible from a distance. Things suddenly appears and results panic braking. I avoid driving in dipper in such situation.
  10. OEM MRF Zapper tyres works fine. Doesnt skid much like Pulsars due to the sheer heavy weight and good grip. Rear tyre pattern is same old angular ones. Didnt had a single puncture in an year of usage.
  11. Black engine, chrome touches here and a shiny paint job, makes it look distinct. Eye catcher for sure.
  12. Seats are the USP. Great cushioning. Rear passengers are the happiest. Definitely a tourer bike.

View attachment 672068
Good remarks from a live user. Thanks for the quotes.