S 3 | Sohra, Sandakphu & Sikkim

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
10. Day 8 = 3rd Oct., 2015

Barpeta Road to Siliguri

Total km traveled 378. Ride time 6.30AM to 3.20 PM.
I rode to Siliguri passing Bongaingaon, BuxaTiger Reserve, Hasimara, JaldaparaNational park, Birpara, Mal Bazar & Sevoke.

Yesterday night, Harsh told me that he will not ride to Sandakphu. He feared that his bike’s clutch might damage there on ascend. He had done trekking there twice. I talked to Neel Da and decided that we both with ride to Sandakphu and Harsh will go to Darjeeling.

I also had a look at offline map, the route of which was suggested by
H.V.Kumar Sir.

At 6.30 am in morning our bikes got local crowds attention outside our hotel.

At around 8.10 am we stopped in this dhaba for breakfast.

I had Paratha- dal for breakfast.

This was too heavy for me as I was having loose motions. And I got the punishment also for that.

I crossed Buxa Tiger Reserve board and clicked some pictures there at 10.25 am. I was not feeling well by that time. And I wanted to reach Siliguri early. Buxa was only 7km from there.

I did not go inside, but click the picture along with info board.

After that I was not feeling well. Pressure of loose motion was also there. I went for loo at a petrol pump’s toilet. There was no lock from inside. One rope was there and I had to hold it to get door closed from inside. But at least water was there.

Somehow I finished all these punishment. Harsh was waiting near my bike at petrol pump. He was also getting delayed due to my health problem.
After this I was searching from some medicine store to get medicine for loose motion.

Now Harsh was riding fast and I was riding slow as was much behind him. I saw a medicine shop at Hasimara.

And the board mentioned of a Doctor there.

I met the Doctor inside that medicine shop and told him about loose motion problem. Also told him about my ride and told him to give injection also for quick cure.

Dr. N.K. Saha gave me this medicine and one injection.

Riding little ahead of Hasimara, I heard loud sound of an airplane. It was an army fighter plane landing towards right side of NH. What a great sight it was. But there was not enough time to click picture. It was Mig fighter jet perhaps.

At around 12 pm, I saw this rhino statue near road.

This was entry point of Jaldapara National park.

But due to my health issue, I decided to skip this and try to reach Siliguri as fast as possible. I took another picture and rode ahead.

At around 1 pm, I was riding inside a beautiful forest road.

It was Chapramari Forest perhaps.

I had Amul butter milk at Mal Bazar. I had light noodles at Savoke for lunch. And then I reached Siliguri at around 3.20 pm.

That day it was local Election Day. I talked to Neel Da; he was also busy in election. He suggested to me come to Hotel Sunview at Shiv Mandir area. It was very near to NBMC Hospital. This hotel was near to Neel da’s home.
All shops were closed due to local election. So was this Hotel Sunview. Yes this hotel’s main door was also locked and all went to cast vote.

In West Bengal election is an important event. I waited for Neel da to come and then I checked in at another hotel nearby.
It was Hotel Arya and I got a single bed non a/c room for Rs.400/-. This was Neel da’s friend’s hotel.

After my check in, Neel Da went for election work. I got my bike washed nearby.

I put chain oil for lubrication.

After 6pm all shop started opening. I had to take one injection and for that I went inside NBMC Hospital (North Bengal Medical College & Hospital). But based on outside Doctor’s prescription nobody gave me injection. Then at one pathology lab just outside hospital, one gentleman gave me injection after my request. After learning about my bike ride trip, he did not charge me anything. Where as, in hospital I offered Rs.100 to Nurse to give me medicine injection.

My riding jacket was torn a little and I got it stitched. I did my packing for Sandakphu. Only one claw bag was to be taken & all other luggage was packed inside backpack and kept in hotel’s store room.

I wanted to have light khakhara for dinner, for that me and Neel Da went to a mall. Neel da and I decided to meet next day morning and start for Sandakphu. Harsh had already reached Darjeeling in evening.

I wanted to have one lime juice along with worm water after dinner. I asked two three tea stalls nearby, but all denied even after I offered them money. But one tea stall, which was almost closed, did light up stove for me and gave me warm water. He did so after I told him that this was needed for medicine. He did not take any money from me for that.

So I got two experiences of humanity still alive, that evening.
I talked with my family before sleeping, as next day I will not get mobile tower/ signal at Sandakphu.

This was our ride map for the day.

Google GPS link:-

Click HERE for next update.

Coming up….next…. mighty SANDAKPHU Ride.

Last edited:

adsatinder

explorer
Last edited:

sajalsheth

Still Learning ©
Great !
Great !
Great !
Great !
Great !
Thank you @adsatinder ji

Fantastic trip this is turning out to be!
Thank you @Gaurav Chopra ji....Sadakphu ride will be more fantastic

This shop is at Gurdwara Premises.

Do you have pic of Gurdwara, Hasimara, Distt Jalpaiguri, West Bengal ?

Gurdwara is where Y-Crossing is.
Near 100-200 meters Y-Crossing of HW 317A + HW 31C is this Gurdwara:

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/Gurudwara+Sahib,+NH+31C,+Hasimara,+West+Bengal+735214/@26.685615,89.3378726,793m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x39e3b3ece5a46ddd:0xcbf17dbe7c4267a3
No I was looking at Medicine stores only that time... so no picture of Gurdwara and that Mig Fighter Airplane.
You seem to have good geographical knowledge of that area @adsatinder ji

great picture sajal ji
Thanks @ravi200223 ji

adsatinder

explorer

This shop is at Gurdwara Premises.

Do you have pic of Gurdwara, Hasimara, Distt Jalpaiguri, West Bengal ?

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/Gurudwara+Sahib,+NH+31C,+Hasimara,+West+Bengal+735214/@26.685615,89.3378726,793m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x39e3b3ece5a46ddd:0xcbf17dbe7c4267a3

No I was looking at Medicine stores only that time... so no picture of Gurdwara and that Mig Fighter Airplane.
You seem to have good geographical knowledge of that area @adsatinder ji
I have not been there.
Just asking you if this point is right ?
Just confirm the Y-Crossing part.