Saach Pass – Sa(a)ch me Bahut Mushkil hai

mousourik

Who Am I
Well, we could not make it with Innova Crysta after just one night's snow fall. :-(

So if the road is free of slush, then it should more of a cake (read Alto) walk, provided that the driver is good.

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Will appreciate a clarification here. I saw a Dezire going to and coming from the pass in September end from Bairagarh side. They did not go to Killar side, and there was no snow on the roads.

Can this road be traversed in a two wheel drive, if there is no snow on the road? Or a 4x4 will be required while going to Killar from the pass?

Request all the experts on Sach pass to give their opinion. (Please don't dishearten us as we can never hire a 4x4.:-( )
The roads are steep no doubt but not steep enough that a non 4x4 car may not be able to traverse, only it will take a lot of strain on the engine and clutch of the car. If the driver is expert then he will be able to cross otherwise the driver may burn down the clutches. However, it would certainly be very difficult to cover the Bairagarh - Killar road early in the season due to snow melt and water streams and big boulders hidden inside them. During dry season it is little less difficult to cross.

One thing i would like to point out that while in 2013 i could not see even a single low ground clearance vehicle in the Killar-Udaipur stretch, however, this time i could see many small cars too..also in between we have seen a Linea and also a Swift doing this circuit. Killar to Udaipur strecth has settled down a lot, similarly, Bairagarh - Killar too has mostly settled gradient apart from few patches. However both routes becomes low GC car killer during snow melt and early season due to knee deep water crossings and hidden boulders beneath. Also later, it becomes a lot slushy. Accordingly, i would say it would be a bit safe for the low GC cars to do this circuit during the month of September and early October but before that it would be very dangerous and risky.

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Honestly speaking, it is the ability or the skills of the driver which matter here and not the vehicle as such. I hope Alok Bhai would agree with me.

But since the stretch is all gravel/boulders and slush also during rains/snow melting time and has few deadly water crossings, it is certainly not easy for a low on power or low on GC vehicle. But it can certainly be done on Alto etc with due carefulness.
i completely agree with you Satish

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Well, we could not make it with Innova Crysta after just one night's snow fall. :-(

So if the road is free of slush, then it should more of a cake (read Alto) walk, provided that the driver is good.
Innovas' do this route regularly now..perhaps your driver still could have done it will little more effort and daring..since there was very few vehicles crossing during that time was also a factor..had it been few more cars plying along with him, he could have tried harder