Sankri – Chakrata – Lakhamandal: Solo drive after a long time

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Solo – this is how I like to travel but BCMT and my colleagues (past & present) have ensured that I can hardly travel solo now. However, my heart always yearns for solitude. Last Diwali such an opportunity presented itself. After Diwali I had a break of four days. I told no one and left inconspicuously in the morning after Diwali celberations. I had Sankri in my mind as destination as I had not been there. The farthest I went on was Mori. The route beyond Mussoorie had been untouched since long. So the target for day 1 was set for as far as I could reach near Sankri.

I started from my home at around 6.00 in the morning. I took my first break at McDonalds for breakfast at Muzaffarnagar. I took the new four lane road from Muzaffarnagar via Deoband and Chutmalpur. From Chutmalpur I did not take the usual Dehradun-Mussoorie route. I took a diversion and went by Sansarpur – Behat – Shahabuddinpur and joined the Dehradun-Paonta Sahib road at the cur for Vikasnagar. The last few kilometers were through dense forest and quite enjoyable. The whole route was a two lane route however the entire section had smooth tarmac. Again before Kalsi, I took the Vikasnagar – Barkot road and came out at Yamuna Pul about 25 kms ahead of Mussoorie. This way I completely bye-passed the rush areas of Dehradun and Mussoorie and found minimal traffic and the route was scenic too. I stopped at Yamuna Pul and had some food at a small dhaba there.

the road after Chutmalpur
1.jpg

nice settlement in the forest area
3.jpg

4.jpg

a beautiful road side waterfall
5.jpg

Yamuna pul
7.jpg

Yamuna River
8.jpg

refreshment at Thapa dhaba just besides the Yamuna pul
9.jpg

food was delicious @Rs.50 only
10.jpg

Alpha

Going to Neverland
After crossing the Yamuna Pul, I was on the Yamunotri road and kept following the Yamuna River. The water was flowing gently and absolutely clear. The small villages on the river bank were stunning. After driving for about 60 kms on Yamunotri road, I took a diversion for Purola near Barkot. Now I had left Yamuna River on my right and reached Purola in no time. After Purola I started climbing up and drove through dense pine forest. By 3.45 pm I had reached Mori, earlier than I had expected.

The beautiful River Yamuna
11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

first view of the snow capped mountains
15.jpg

beautiful landscape at Purola enroute Mori
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

dense forest area after Purola
19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

a stream near Mori
22.jpg

23.jpg

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Now Sankri was barely 20 odd kilometers further. It took another hour and a quarter to reach Sankri. Initially the road had smooth tarmac and the scenery too was enticing with beautiful Tons river flowing by the road. But after 5-6 kms, the road disappeared completely. Next one hour of the drive was on completely broken roads until I was nearing Sankri. It was about 5.00 in the evening when I reached the town. The town looked hardly busy with few trekkers and travelers moving around since the trekking season was about to start here in Sanki. It was too early for the winter treks Sankri is famous for. I checked in to Sankri GMVN and I was the only occupant that day. Had a cup of tea before wandering out for a stroll around the little town. Came back after an hour and ordered simple dinner of daal-chawal. Food was good. There was no TV. Listened to some music on my phone and slept early without any plans for the day ahead.

the beautiful road for Sankri, just after crossing Mori
24.jpg

ever so beautiful Tons River
25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

Sankri
28.jpg

GMVN Sankri
29.jpg

approach for the guest house
30.jpg

welcome drink
31.jpg

lovely sunset
32.jpg

thats a flaming Swargarohini peaks
33.jpg

last supper of the day
34.jpg

razashaikh

A Passionate Photographer
Wow! I always wonder, how can people travel such amazing places alone? :D However, the pictures are awesome, I loved the road side waterfall!

Alpha

Going to Neverland
Wow! I always wonder, how can people travel such amazing places alone? :D However, the pictures are awesome, I loved the road side waterfall!
travelling alone is not easy but i think once you start travelling solo, it grows up on you.