Scania Buses India - Reviews and Experiences

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
I am starting this thread dedicated exclusively for ''SCANIA'' buses in India as its just a couple of days left for SCANIA buses to hit roads by various operators. SCANIA deserves a separate thread and hence I took this initiative.

To start with some preliminary information, SCANIA Bus range was launched in India during 'Bus World expo' Feb 2013 at Mumbai.

SVLL- Siddhi Vinayak Logistics Limited,Surat ( Gujarat ) based which has been a major SCANIA Truck partner in India was the first to order a huge 120 SCANIA multiaxle buses and then redesign them from DC ( Dilip Chabbria,Pune)
SVLL intends to provide ultra luxurious business class level SCANIA bus journeys to their customers and hence they name it as 'CONNECT' brand- A 7 star Super luxury bus as phrased by SVLL

The launch event of SVLL SCANIA 'CONNECT' bus took place a couple of days back at Surat . By October '13 end, they are starting with Mumbai-Surat operations.

The other routes which SVLL will launch in coming days are- Mumbai-Bangalore ; Mumbai-Ahmedabad ; Mumbai- Pune .( please add if I left something)

Other operators who have placed orders as of now are- NEETA , Kallada, KPN

Here is the first pic of SVLL SCANIA ''CONNECT'' superluxury bus spotted at Expressway Foodmall,Pune-Mumbai expressway
Image credits - Kshitij Keer

- - - Updated - - -

Some interior Pics of SVLL Scania -
Image credits - Overdrive

- - - Updated - - -

SVLL SCANIA 'CONNECT' bus in India first video
Credits-SVLL

The bus cruising on Pune-Mumbai expressway
[video=youtube;ja93iYiI08w]

Last edited:

Sandeep Dhawan

The Contrarian!
Good initiative Vivek. I remember when Multiaxle coaches were launched in India, Sharma transports was their first customer

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
Good initiative Vivek. I remember when Multiaxle coaches were launched in India, Sharma transports was their first customer
Thank you Sandeep :) Yes it was Sharma during OCT 2008.

To give some superficial Tech info on SCANIA multiaxle bus in India and the one that is with SVLL now-

It is a 14.5 metres long bus powered by a whopping 13 litre engine churning out a huge 410 hp power !!!. Thats the highest in India by any bus till now. The SCANIA has a Opticruise Transmission which is an Automated Manual. The same I-Shift Tech used in Volvo I-Shift variants. SCANIA will manufacture its buses from Kolar Plant,near Bangalore,Karnataka,India
Others can contribute a lot more Technical information

Big Daddy

Super User
No bus service in Mumbai is worth it because it does not connect or has a stop in CS International Airport. Mumbai airport is utter confusion. Some say there are two airports (Sahar and Santa Cruz). Some say there is only one airport CS International Airport (terminal 1 and terminal 2). Frankly, Mumbai CSI is very important airport and there is a need to have a bus stop with buses going to different cities. While there are many bus services in Mumbai, none that I know have a bus stop at International Airport. There are a few counters of bus services/taxis on the airport, but those bus services have few buses coming or going to the airport. So what is the point of having yet another bus service that does not change anything. All those routes are great but it rarely makes things convenient. Bus stops are needed close to airports and railway stations.

The best setup I know is Ambala railway station. There is a bus stop right across the road with buses going to different cities all the time. No one wants to take rickshaw/ taxi to a bus station coming to a new city. It is hard to trust these guys if you are travelling alone in night in an unknown city.

Last edited:

Sach23

We would love to see Scania Taking on the Volvos B9 & B11R. Lets see whether Scania scores over Volvo's in terms of comfort for the Passengers or Mileage & maintenance cost for the operators....

shenoyshrikants

No bus service in Mumbai is worth it because it does not connect or has a stop in CS International Airport. Mumbai airport is utter confusion. Some say there are two airports (Sahar and Santa Cruz). Some say there is only one airport CS International Airport (terminal 1 and terminal 2). Frankly, Mumbai CSI is very important airport and there is a need to have a bus stop with buses going to different cities. While there are many bus services in Mumbai, none that I know have a bus stop at International Airport. There are a few counters of bus services/taxis on the airport, but those bus services have few buses coming or going to the airport. So what is the point of having yet another bus service that does not change anything. All those routes are great but it rarely makes things convenient. Bus stops are needed close to airports and railway stations.

The best setup I know is Ambala railway station. There is a bus stop right across the road with buses going to different cities all the time. No one wants to take rickshaw/ taxi to a bus station coming to a new city. It is hard to trust these guys if you are travelling alone in night in an unknown city.
In this context, I would like to highlight the services at New Delhi Airport where one can get services of Indo Canadian Transport (not sure if any other operator) right from the Terminals of the Airport going to various important cities in North India like Chandigarh, Amritsar, etc.

Sandeep Dhawan

The Contrarian!
In this context, I would like to highlight the services at New Delhi Airport where one can get services of Indo Canadian Transport (not sure if any other operator) right from the Terminals of the Airport going to various important cities in North India like Chandigarh, Amritsar, etc.
Couple of months back, my friend and his gf came from Bangkok and boarded on Indo Canadian bus service to Patiala. They purchased the tickets then and there only

Also in Bus services to various parts of the city, I would rate Bangalore as No 1. Get down from Airplane, take your baggage and board a volvo Vayu Vajra to anywhere in Bangalore @ reasonable price.

Good to see Hyd is also doing similar stuff from Hitech City - ORR to Airport

- - - Updated - - -

Mumbai - Best option is ideally for a Mumbaikar. Once you come out of Airport, take auto and go to Santa Cruz Rly station.
I hope Mumbai metro will bring some change

Bangalore - Major Rly station (SBC) and Major bus station (Majestic) are both on the opposite side of the road.

Last edited:

Big Daddy

Super User
Once you come out of Airport, take auto and go to Santa Cruz Rly station.
And then what? I don't think there is a Santa Cruz Railway station. Most people who come to Mumbai may want to go to different cities in Maharashtra and Gujarat. It would be nice to have buses to different destinations like New Delhi Airport is. However, I don't think there is an easy way to go to cities in UP from Delhi Airport. Stupid Indian trains want you to have Indian cell phone to make reservations from the web site. The market for foreigners coming to India is underserved, I think. Many foreigners travel alone which I don't think Indians either know or consider in identifying market opportunities.

drvbs

Vagabonding 24*7
Well, people are right in one aspect here that bus services should start from Airport itself but come on, everyone needs to earn his bread daily. What will the poor Taxi fellows do if Bus starts picking up from wherever we want. So, all this business is a mutual understanding. At the most, BEST should start Volvo 8400s from Airport to some important intercity bus picking points 24/7. That would be better IMO. With such a huge population in India, everyone needs to be satisfied for his daily bread. What to do !!

- - - Updated - - -

Either ways , lets please carry this discussion somewhere else as we better not deviate from the main theme-SCANIA, right from first page of this thread. This discussion can be carried ahead in Volvo B9R thread. Lets add more info/ photos of SCANIAs here